All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Deadtime in an IGBT Full Bridge

Move Thread LAN_403
thedatastream
Fri Aug 03 2007, 12:55PM Print
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Hi all,

I'm just running up my repaired bridge on Inazuma and was playing around with phase, frequency and deadtime settings on the controller. Setting the phase is fine, as is the frequency (tuned to the upper pole at the moment) but the deadtime control is giving me some food for thought.

As I understand it, the purpose of deadtime is to insert some space between the switching intervals so that shoot through cannot occur doe to slow turn off of the IGBTs. When I set the deadtime to maximum, I get a reduced power output obviously because the on time is less.

However, I get much more noise on my bridge (when operating with this amount of deadtime) from when the IGBT turns off and the diodes are supposed to take over whch I'm guessing is caused by reverse recovery time of diode and the stray inductance of the circuit.

When I operate with no deadtime, the switching waveforms are _much_ cleaner with far less ringing and voltage spikes. However I'm now concerned about some limited amounts of cross conduction due to slow turn off. I could put a current probe in series with the collector of one of the IGBTs to see what's going on and if I'm getting shoot through.

Does anyone have any opinions on the issue of deadtime? How much (if any) do people typically operate with? I'm inclined to operate with none simply because of the cleaner switching.

Thanks in advance,
James
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 03 2007, 01:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I saw exactly the same things as you did when using small, fast IGBTs, so I ended up operating with the deadtime control turned to minimum. That still gives a few hundred nanoseconds of deadtime, but nothing much.

The reason why it happens is that the current is only zero at one instant. So, with deadtime, one or other of the IGBTs must miss the zero current switching point and switch with a substantial current flowing through it, which is what causes the noise. The longer the deadtime, the worse it will get.

The deadtime control on thet driver was intended for later when I was going to hook it up to big slow IGBTs the size of pizza boxes that have fall times of over 1us. Still haven't got round to it, though.
thedatastream
Fri Aug 03 2007, 01:47PM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Steve Conner wrote ...
I saw exactly the same things as you did when using small, fast IGBTs, so I ended up operating with the deadtime control turned to minimum. That still gives a few hundred nanoseconds of deadtime, but nothing much.

OK that's great, thanks Steve.

Steve Conner wrote ...
...big slow IGBTs the size of pizza boxes...

mmm... Pizza!
Steve Ward
Fri Aug 03 2007, 08:58PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
James, if you can probe your DC rails, check that out. If there is cross conduction you should see a pretty serious and short dip in the DC supply. The supply will normally have some noise from the Cce charging up during switching, but real cross conduction will be much worse. Ive never used programmable logic deadtime... but i often used the diode/resistor trick to slow down the turn ON and not the turn OFF time.
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 04 2007, 09:54AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Steve Ward wrote ...
If there is cross conduction you should see a pretty serious and short dip in the DC supply.
Hey, can you really see cross conduction like that? Have you actually seen it? If it's visible just by looking at the DC bus voltage, that makes life a lot easier. Well in relation to SSTCs at least wink
Steve Ward
Sat Aug 04 2007, 05:42PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
This is how ive checked for shoot-through, but i cant actually remember if ive seen anything bad as far as dipping goes. Ive measured shoot-through like this on my P/N bridges and there was a bad dip until i fixed the problem with gate zeners (for proper biasing).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: