Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Daniel Davis (53)

Next birthdays
05/29 Zonalklism (33)
05/29 Dr Hankenstein (67)
05/30 Quantum Singularity (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Which Capacitors?

Move Thread LAN_403
BFG
Fri Aug 03 2007, 05:34AM Print
BFG Registered Member #937 Joined: Fri Aug 03 2007, 04:47AM
Hi, I am building my first coil gun (I have done my homework) and I am slightly confused about which capacitors I should use. I have the following:

4x 40v 10,000uF 320 Joules
6x 250v 1800uF 337.5 Joules

The puzzling part to me is that the difference in potential energy between the 2 possible banks is only 17.5 Joules, but I am not sure if the longer pulse time of the 40v capacitors is going to negatively effect performance of my gun. If someone could help me out with this one it will be greatly appreciated! smile
Fri Aug 03 2007, 07:33AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You definitely want to go with the 250v caps (I would do a 2 in series, 3 in parallel arrangement), as you pulse will be way to slow with the other caps. Unless of course you are shooting 10lb blocks of iron wink
Dave Marshall
Fri Aug 03 2007, 11:22AM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
Yeah If you're using a system that isn't optimized for long pulses (ie a slow, massive projectile or a very long barrel) you're definitely going to want to take ...'s advice.

On the plus side, at that voltage, and 330 joules, you should be able to get away with a typical house light switch if you aren't looking for a fancy setup, or you haven't played with SCRs before. Only down side is eventually you'll spot weld the light switch closed, requiring you to buy another $0.75 switch.

Just be careful, as my mother would say... "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Have fun!

Dave
Barry
Fri Aug 03 2007, 04:34PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
It doesn't matter. At least, it doesn't matter if you just look at the pulse time. However, there are lots of other things that do matter which I'll get to in a moment.

First a few words about timing ... It's about the same amount of stored energy with either choice of capacitors, and you can achieve the same pulse time by making the appropriate coil. With higher capacitance you would build a coil with lower inductance. The bottom line is that the time of the first half-sine-wave is about pi*sqrt(LC).

Now some other factors which can be very important ...

Your power supply voltage is important. What voltage level do you like to work with? This can be a personal choice; I prefer 100v and less because it's easy to produce and has less chance of arcing. A lot of people have no problem with kilovolt levels. This choice is often determined by parts availability; can you afford the power supply and switch that handles your voltage and current requirements.

The peak current is important. Note that one of your capacitor banks would result in a much higher current peak than the other. To observe this, dial your part values into the RLC simulator. This will help you choose a switch that has sufficient peak current capability.

Here's an example ... The RLC simulation of your capacitors with just enough inductance for a 1.0 msec pulse will tell us the peak current. I found that one arrangement resulted in almost twice the current peak than the other. The 4*10,000uF bank peaked at 4500A, while the 6*1,800uF bank peaked at 8000A. Same energy, same time, but twice the current. By the way, the magnetic field strength (1/2 L I^2) is approximately the same because the inductance is different.

Coil construction is important. For both capacitor banks, take a look at how difficult it might be to build the coils. These will both be low-inductance coils (you should figure out how much first) on the order of a few microhenries. What size wire and what coil dimensions will be needed? Can they be built with low enough resistance to remain a high-Q circuit? Be sure to keep total series resistance below the point of critical damping, i.e. R < 2*sqrt(L/C).

On the other hand, you could just build it and see. Don't suffer paralysis by analysis; just build it! cheesey

Cheers, Barry
PS - If it were me I'd use the 40v cap bank, because it's easier to work at lower voltage. Plus, I'd make it portable by charging it from a couple ordinary batteries. It's your hobby, so just choose whatever turns you on (pun intended).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: