All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

why does my inturupter hurt me?

Move Thread LAN_403
Danielle
Mon Jul 23 2007, 10:41PM Print
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
I recently noticed that while producing longer than 4' arcs when I touch the grounded metal cace of my interrupter I feel as though millions of volts are going through my body. any answers to this this is the same with any object that is metal and grounded. I am building a new interrupter connected by fiber soon to prevent this I hope.
Steve Ward
Mon Jul 23 2007, 11:14PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Your body forms a virtual capacitor with the DRSSTC and when you touch ground, you discharge yourself and feel that. Usually this means you are too close to the coil. Or, if you are running your secondary ground to the mains ground, you really need to switch the secondary over to its own dedicated RF ground rod. Ive seen my terminal strip flash over (so a few kV) from my secondary ground connection to the other mains connections on the strip.

Fiber optic will get rid of this problem.
ArcLight
Tue Jul 24 2007, 03:01AM
ArcLight Registered Member #341 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:41PM
A charge building on me while running my SGTC on an unheated porch in northern Illinois is not unusual during the winter months, but I've never had it happen during the summer. You didn't disclose location in your profile. Is it particularly dry where you live? (Not asking where you live, just wondering about relative humidity.)

Regards, ArcLight
Danielle
Tue Jul 24 2007, 03:55AM
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
it was fairly dry but I was over doing it I was only 6ft away from the coil while it was spraying 4ft arcs I brought outside and it was fine. I think the main problem with this is the distance you are from the coil.
Shaun
Tue Jul 24 2007, 08:15PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
This happened to me alot with my SGTC, except I was 15 feet away (overkill, it was only 450 watt) and I was getting half-inch arcs from my fingers to the variac casing. It scared the hell out of me, because I though at any second I would be connected to the 120V mains.

This was in my garage in the winter, so I guess it was a pretty favorable place to collect a charge. I've never solved the problem, so now I just only touch the plastic on the variac wheel. BTW, I was using an 8 foot copper ground rod (also overkill). They were only like doorknob static shocks anyway...

At first I thought it might be that "induced RF currents" thing, like the reports of people drawing arcs to grounded or ungrounded objects during Tesla's larger experiments. But I didn't get RF burns, so it must have been a capacitive thing.
Dr. Drone
Tue Jul 24 2007, 11:59PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: