All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High "Q" secondary

Move Thread LAN_403
ShawnLG
Mon Jul 23 2007, 06:11PM Print
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
Below is a pic of my high "Q" secondary for my HF tesla coil. The windings are spaced out evenly to reduce the interturn capacitance. This coil design would be great for ham projects also. I don't understand why no one makes these.
1185214287 286 FT0 Highqsec
Avalanche
Mon Jul 23 2007, 07:00PM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Nice! I once had an idea to double wind a small secondary with copper wire and nylon fishing line to reduce the inter-turn capacitance. It's just one of those things I never got around to.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Mon Jul 23 2007, 07:07PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Quite the contrary shawn, people try to make high Q secondaries, that's where the aspect ratio comes into play so much. By keeping the coil stout you increase the Q and inductance/unit volume.

One reason you're not going to find many coils like yours is, well, look at the coil I wound on the PVC former. I did this to look at the wavelength and Cself of the 18 AWG coil. Its self resonant at 1880 KHz, and that's pretty high up there unless you have a 1 turn primary, small tank capacitor and small transformer. Otherwise you'd have to use a pretty well designed solid state driver. Then the next issue is, depending on input power, will it arc to itself.

The other coils are designed with the lowest Cself possible so that when they're tuned their self capacitence won't interfere with whatever capacitor is used with them. These ones are really designed for radio work.

I wouldn't be surprised if your coil resonates at 5 or 6 MHz, and getting a driver for it is going to be some work, but there would be a lot to learn from that experience.
005f
Mon Jul 23 2007, 08:02PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
No one makes coil like that because it is a pain to keep the wires spaced out enough, especially since there are only like 4 people that are smart enough to make coils work in the MHz region tongue

I do remember having seen a large coil (like 12" x 60" or something) wound by using a small piece of Al plate with some slots milled in it, and I think that someone got arround to winding a coil using a piece of thread as a spacer.
Steve Conner
Mon Jul 23 2007, 08:08PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
What a lovely coil:
But on a cardboard former?
Hams use ceramic.
ragnar
Tue Jul 24 2007, 03:22AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
It's nice. I'd personally estimate your Fres to be about 9-11MHz.

People do make these. I did. The reason they're unnecessary in tesla coil use is because the plasma loading swamps any high Q you may ever have had. As soon as the coil breaks out, its Q turns to crap. Waverider has covered this well.

When running at reasonable powers, you'll find the copper gets stinking hot -- watch out for the cardboard spontaneously combusting at a certain temperature, with the help of a flashover. As I found out the hard way with a toilet roll, the WHOLE thing will suddenly go up. You'll get flames about a foot high from the middle. wink

1185247369 63 FT28879 Fullformer4

1185247369 63 FT28879 Fullformer5
ShawnLG
Tue Jul 24 2007, 05:15AM
ShawnLG Registered Member #286 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 04:52AM
"No one makes coil like that because it is a pain to keep the wires spaced out enough, especially since there are only like 4 people that are smart enough to make coils work in the MHz region"

Use fishing line to space the wire when wrapping, it was much easyer than I thought. After tieing down the secondary wire, carefully unwind the fishing line back on to its spool. Then seal the form with polyurethane.

"But on a cardboard former?
Hams use ceramic."

Ceramic has a very high dialectric constant! This would defeat my mission for making this coil. I choosed carboard because I wanted to get away from the lossy plasic formers that I had used on my last few coils. The ideal secondary form is nothing at all, no losses, no added intertern capacitance. Black Plasma's former looks very promising in that aspect.

I tested the coil with my target frequency and it worked. I still need to take some measurements. But there is not much coupling with the primery and the secondary and the SWR is high. High SWR would be a big problem on my class E PA I have yet to design.
Dr. Slack
Tue Jul 24 2007, 07:29AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
Ceramic has a very high dialectric constant! This would defeat my mission for making this coil. I choosed carboard because I wanted to get away from the lossy plasic formers that I had used on my last few coils.

Get away from lossy plastic to lousy cardboard!

No one makes these for TC use as the way to higher Q is through lower resistance, which means fill all the available space with copper instead of 50% with fishing line. But it will get you higher Fres.

As far as reducing the quantity of lossy material in the former is concerned, this would be the side effect of an idea I had a while ago, through being unable to source a plastic former bigger than 100mm, or in anything other than PVC. Our local DIY shop sells polypropylene (ideal dielectric material) waste pipes in 32mm O/D, so why not use a bundle of these? Build up to pretty much any diameter, with the result being 50% air. A bundle of plastic drinking straws might do for a smaller coil. Just a thought. The main problem that occurs to me is that as the turns go on, the tension from the later ones might shrink the springy form slightly, loosening the earlier turns. You would need to make a low tension high tension coil angry
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Jul 24 2007, 05:53PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
For the oil-immersed coil I'm working on, I had a friend with a lathe and threading jig put threads on an acrylic tube. Should be the easiest coil I've ever wound! cheesey The idea in my case, however, was to improve standoff of the coil when immersed, not about Fres, Cself, etc. We'll find out soon if it was worthwhile!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: