Alfons (36)
Coronafix (51)
AmonRa (44)

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Making a Geiger-Müller Counter

first  4 5 6 7 
Move Thread LAN_403
Proud Mary
Thu Feb 14 2008, 10:26PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
plazmatron wrote ...

Wow! that site is looking more and more delicious! Thanks Harry!
I`m thinking of taking a wee field trip!
According to auto route, I can make it there in about 3 hours, so If I set off early enough it can be a day out! cheesey

There looks to be a golf course immediately behind the cliff, Leslie, perhaps right on top of the original Location 3 trench. As a fallback, you might think about getting a tide-table for the Solway Firth, and seeing how far you can get towards Needle's Eye from Sandyhills Bay at low tide. The Solway Firth is generally <5m so I'd guess you might get all the way to the foot of the cliff - immediately below the vein - at low tide, and come back with rich pickings, provided you bear in mind the great rapidity with which the tide comes in in such shallow seas, and keep a scrupulous eye on the clock when you are there!
plazmatron
Fri Feb 15 2008, 12:32AM
plazmatron Registered Member #1134 Joined: Tue Nov 20 2007, 04:39PM
Funny you should mention that! I was just checking tides, and trying to pinpoint the exact location today.
The pair of veins are on the Southwick coastal reserve, near the Needles eye rock formation so it should be easy to spot!
The tide is fully out around 16:30 on Monday (the day I plan to go) , so I will spend the morning surveying the trench If I can find it (shouldnt be too difficult I`m cheating and using GPS!)

Thanks for the heads up on that one!
plazmatron
Tue Feb 19 2008, 08:26PM
Well I had a good run to the cliffs at Solway Firth on Monday, and after 5 hours or so, found some classic examples of Pitchblende!
Some are extraordinarily active, even more so than my entire radium watch hands collection!
Thanks again for the tip Harry!

Something

1203452763 1134 FT28803 Pitchblende

1203452763 1134 FT28803 Measuring
Proud Mary
Tue Feb 19 2008, 09:39PM
I'm really pleased for you, Leslie! I can well remember when I found some really active pieces of pitchblende at St Austell, and I could hardly believe how energetic they were.

Now you're in position to try some gamma radiography and all manner of interesting experiments. Whoo-hooo!
plazmatron
Thu Feb 21 2008, 07:59PM
Absolutely!
I have extracted a small quantity (2g) of fairly pure Uraninite from a soil sample, and sintered it into a small hard pellet to give autoradiography a try. The pellet measures just over 12,000 CPM (combined beta/gamma), so it should give fair results in a comparatively short space of time.

Leslie
Proud Mary
Thu Feb 21 2008, 10:15PM
Leslie, here's the website of a very inventive chap whose work I think you'll like if you don't already know of it:

Link2
plazmatron
Tue Feb 26 2008, 01:53AM
Yes I`ve seen his page before. He has done some incredible work. Which reminds me, I must get a decent vacuum setup, I just have to try and build a x-ray tube!

Seoul_lasers
Thu Aug 21 2008, 05:10AM
Seoul_lasers Registered Member #1630 Joined: Sat Aug 09 2008, 11:36AM
c4r0 wrote ...

My counters based on SBM-20 g-m tube easily detects x-rays generated by x-ray tube powered from 50kV. I'm sure that measurement is much lower than it should be, however it detects this radiation. SBM-20 is designed for measuring radiation >100keV.

Medical x-ray machines usually uses 1-2mm Alluminium for filtering, but it's not so necessary until you're not going to x-ray yourself :)

Umm, they usually use lead lining around the tube for filtering. Beryllium is also sometimes used as well as it has a high atomic number. You can seriouly burn yourself with homemade X-rays. ( just like a very bad sunburn) I'd advise you BE CAREFUL.
50Kv-60Kv is more often the range for a dental x-ray machine.
To really see if you have X-rays use a ZnS (Ag) screen below the tube. it will glow green then the power has been turned on.
I have seen small radiotube X-ray machines make some impressive X-ray pictures.
c4r0
Thu Aug 21 2008, 09:51AM
c4r0 Registered Member #151 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 02:53PM
Seoul_lasers wrote ...

c4r0 wrote ...

My counters based on SBM-20 g-m tube easily detects x-rays generated by x-ray tube powered from 50kV. I'm sure that measurement is much lower than it should be, however it detects this radiation. SBM-20 is designed for measuring radiation >100keV.

Medical x-ray machines usually uses 1-2mm Alluminium for filtering, but it's not so necessary until you're not going to x-ray yourself :)

Umm, they usually use lead lining around the tube for filtering. Beryllium is also sometimes used as well as it has a high atomic number. You can seriouly burn yourself with homemade X-rays. ( just like a very bad sunburn) I'd advise you BE CAREFUL.
50Kv-60Kv is more often the range for a dental x-ray machine.
To really see if you have X-rays use a ZnS (Ag) screen below the tube. it will glow green then the power has been turned on.
I have seen small radiotube X-ray machines make some impressive X-ray pictures.
I know that there is that lead filter, and i always unwind it off the g-m tube. By the way it's not lead actually becouse i've checked if its good for x-ray tube shielding and its not, about 0.5mm of this metal attenuates just like 2mm of Al.

You wrote that I should use an intensifying screen for detection. Well, in my case the screen glows only in the main x-ray beam so you would say that its ok and safe? My geiger counters are going mad even 5 meters behind the tube (not in front) becouse of scattered radiation and imperfect tube shielding (it can't be perfect). Also while turning anode voltage up the g-m counters laying 1m from the tube starts to tick at significantly lower voltage than the screen placed 5cm from the tube starts to glow visibly. So in my opinion geiger counter is much better for safety radiation detection. Ofcourse it's sensitivity should be checked first.
Proud Mary
Thu Aug 21 2008, 01:48PM
c4r0 wrote ...

I know that there is that lead filter, and i always unwind it off the g-m tube. By the way it's not lead actually becouse i've checked if its good for x-ray tube shielding and its not, about 0.5mm of this metal attenuates just like 2mm of Al.

This is probably a Tin (Sn) or tin alloy filter to smooth out the tube's very uneven energy response curve, though Cadmium (Cd) foil is sometimes wrapped around military G-M tubes to improve neutron counting efficiency.
first  4 5 6 7 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: