All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

What is the most powerful DVD laser

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Danielle
Wed Jul 25 2007, 04:51PM
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
I found a data sheet for laser diodes for DVD drives and it specked the speed and package type and I matched the package with the speed of the drive and saw the ratings. I was rather disappointed though to finde them I wanted to make a 500mw laser pen for under $30.
Danielle
Tue Jul 31 2007, 06:40PM
can I put a .1uf decoupling capacitor across the leads of the laser diode to prevent voltage transients.
Tue Jul 31 2007, 06:45PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
hey, no double posting!

In any case, be careful to note that many laser diodes are rated for thier peak power rating, because in DVD drives the lasers are only powered for short bursts. The power that they are capable of running continiously is notably lower, usually well under 200mw...

You should be ok with a small cap across the pin on the laser diode, but you must be sure that the cap is discharged when you attach it, and that the connection between the cap/laser will never be broken while operating.
EEYORE
Tue Jul 31 2007, 10:13PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Perhaps a proper laser diode driver ought to be built to ensure best operation?

Where do you guys find these laser diodes?How is the beam quality? Good for holography?Are these diodes made to last? I am beginning to get interested in getting one for typical "pointing" and ect.

Matt
Wed Aug 01 2007, 12:50AM
We rip them out of DVD-rw drives... They can be had for quite cheap smile

A 'proper' driver (assuming you mean a constant current regulator) would be nice, but really if you are running from a fixed supply that is considerably higher then the voltage drop of the laser diode (2-3v), a simple dropping resistor works pretty well.

As to the beam quality, I am 98% sure that these chips are highly multimode, have a horrible coherence length, etc, and I wouldn't even think about trying to do holography with them.

They were made to be as cheap as possible, and were designed to be run in short pulses... While they will probably last a long time, I doubt you will get the life expected from a 'real' laser diode, but even if you get 1/100 a normal diodes life is more than enough for most people.

Even for pointing they are not really perfectly suited, as they are getting into the IR part of the spectrum, 100mw of 650nm looks about as bright as does 5mw of 532nm green...
Danielle
Wed Aug 01 2007, 02:10AM
I was thinking if I did want to run it at higher power levels where should I put a 555 interrupter on the current regulated PSU described in the schematic I was about to eche it as I got it to work with LEDs. here are some pics from a DL sony drive 4X and 18X DVD-R. If I want to modulate it then I student have the cap. and you caint see it but they were both shorted as soon as they were connected.
1185934254 632 FT28705 Img 0495

1185934254 632 FT28705 Img 0491
Wed Aug 01 2007, 02:19AM
I wouldnt trust the regulator presented earlier in this thread for use with a modulated signal, as you will probably end up with nasty spikes...
Danielle
Wed Aug 01 2007, 03:17AM
ok I started it up and I saw a huge increase in power at 100ma so I stopped turning up the power but it dosnt burn anything. I brought up the power and it was really bright then I lowered it and something happened it has a really low power output and I killed it I think I spent so much money I need to just but a cuple diodes.
Capper
Wed Aug 01 2007, 11:40AM
Capper Registered Member #914 Joined: Fri Jul 20 2007, 06:22PM
This is the one I made from a 16X burner. The laser is a flat pack type. The holder was made from a length of solid brass drilled out for the batteries, lens, and the laser is clamped down at the top.

Laser200b

I had to add an adjustable focus lens to get it to burn stuff.

Laser200d

It will light a match with fresh batteries and runs at about 200mA:

http://members.thegeekgroup.org/~capper/match.wmv

Scott
 1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: