All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Half or Full Bridge?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
magnetomotive
Wed Jul 18 2007, 01:34PM
magnetomotive Registered Member #267 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 09:44PM
EDY19 wrote ...

There- Here is the new plan for a Half Bridge with a voltage doubler using 600V 30A diodes (which will be on a heatsink) and 2460uf per "leg." The Mosfets will be on a terminal strip, with leads bent 90 degrees so the mosfets are oriented vertically. 15V zener diodes will be across the mosfets too, I'm just going to put them where i can fit them after I build it smile
1184718757 105 FT28458 Half Bridge

What is the purpose of the 6uF capacitor and the 10 Ohm resistors?

Also, what power level are you running this at?
ragnar
Wed Jul 18 2007, 02:17PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
magnetomotive:

If you want to instantaneously open a switch and expect current to flow, you need to provide a source for it to come from. Foil or MKT capacitors tend to have a lower inductance and lower internal resistance than electrolytics. Therefore, the capacitors provide the current needed right on the switching transition -- the power supply or other smoothing caps can then take over after that, if that makes any sense.

The 10-ohm resistors are connected to the gates of the MOSFETs. Inductance of the gate-driver circuit, combined with the input capacitance of the MOSFET, can form a resonant circuit. On each switching cycle, the voltage on the MOSFET can overshoot and oscillate (imagine a decaying sinewave).

Because this oscillation might even be strong enough to let the MOSFET fall out of saturation, gate resistors are used to slow the switching time, and to lower the Q of the system. This means voltage spikes / oscillations have less magnitude, and less effect on the switch (and more importantly, the current flowing through it).
magnetomotive
Wed Jul 18 2007, 05:05PM
magnetomotive Registered Member #267 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 09:44PM
Thanks, that does make sense.

So basically you don't want the eletrolytic capacitors to supply that current because they would get too hot and would have a slower response?
CT2
Wed Jul 18 2007, 06:37PM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
The electrolytic capacitors aren't "fast" enough, because they have a higher inductance and resistance current cannot flow as fast out of them. The smaller capacitance( 6uf) capacitor, is the opposite. It has low inductance and can supply alot of current very quickly, it drains really fast because of it's small size but by that time the big electrolytic caps can kick in.
Sulaiman
Wed Jul 18 2007, 07:59PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I'm not sure how much use a 6 uF capacitor, no matter how high quality, will be
I've no idea what frequency you intend to operate at, for example 250 kHz
at 250 kHz the impedance of a 6 uF capacitor is just over 0.1 Ohm
I have electrolytic (inverter grade) capacitors that have an effective impedance
(capacitance, resistance, inductance) of less than 0.05 Ohms from 10 kHz to 1 MHz
and only 0.006 Ohms at 100 kHz.
So to save space and money you could just use electrolytics.

Check the specifications for your electrolytics fist though.

In any case the addition of the 6 uF capacitor will do no harm.
Steve Ward
Wed Jul 18 2007, 10:15PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I've no idea what frequency you intend to operate at, for example 250 kHz
at 250 kHz the impedance of a 6 uF capacitor is just over 0.1 Ohm

Consider the speed of the switching may have content in the few MHz range. In this case, the 6uF is rather low impedance, and the lytics look worse because what ESL they do have looks pretty big now. But, i might agree that simply using high quality lytics for inverter use is probably enough. Most lytics scrounged from old electronics are probably NOT inverter grade and should be bypassed with a film cap. Its the same deal as logic design where .1uF caps are placed near each IC.
Sulaiman
Thu Jul 19 2007, 01:44AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I think it's better without the film cap because;
the actual desired output current (SSTC or DRSSTC) is composed of repetitive half-sinewaves at the output frequency
switching transient currents and 3rd 5th 7th harmonics of the output frequency are undesirable anyway.

I have no data to support this, just a vague opinion.

I don't have your experience so just take it as a thought experiment - not an argument
Steve Ward
Thu Jul 19 2007, 02:18AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I think you are mostly right, Sulaiman, but keep in mind that the current is not always soft switched. In that case, there is high di/dt across the device, so you do have high frequency harmonics produced. There is no way around this, and without the snubber cap there will be a voltage transient produced by the inductance of the half-bridge loop wiring and the di/dt. On the other hand, i did notice on my large IGBT h-bridge running many hundred amps, that the film caps didnt help at all. I used high quality (and very large) inverter grade electrolytic capacitors on the bridge and had a laminated bus structure for minimal inductance.
Steve Conner
Thu Jul 19 2007, 10:18AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
When I was making my DRSSTC, I found that certain values of film capacitor would resonate with the stray inductances of the bus structure at harmonics of the operating frequency. The 1uF film caps that I tried first turned out to be exactly the wrong value, tuning the resonance to the second harmonic. With soft switching, the majority of the ripple current is, indeed, at the second harmonic. So the result was a huge mess, several times worse than without any film caps at all.

But with no film caps, there were nasty spikes, due to too much ESL and, I suppose, imperfect soft switching. (or stray capacitances, tail currents or whatever.) I experimented with different brands and values of film capacitor, and eventually got it looking good.
EDY19
Thu Jul 19 2007, 03:56PM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
I just found that the SCR that I have would work wonderfully (I think) for the two diodes in the doubler circuit-this way I can turn on the doubler with a small voltage instead of using a large switch and having the contacts burn out periodically from the near short circuit of the capacitors across them. My SCR is rated at 90A RMS and 1950A Itsm, so this should be fine, right? Or I suppose I could make the soft start circuit shown here:
Link2
And in that case, +V would be taken after a rectifier on the hot 120V line, and the drain of that mosfet would be where the neutral terminal would connect to the doubler.
Advantages/disadvantages to either?
I'll be starting a project thread soon smile
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: