All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Suggestion Box
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Pet Peeve - No Location

Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Sun Jul 08 2007, 04:32AM Print
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Well, I figure this is the best place to rant about one of my biggest pet peeves on this (and many other) forums.

Profiles, specifically the "location" field....

WHY don't people fill that out when they make an account?

I wish there was a way to prevent posting unless a new user has filled out some of their profile - at least their location.

I bring this up here in part because there are so many Nationalities and languages represented here that there is often a slight language barrier. It's often much easier for me to understand and tolerate a poorly constructed post when I know that not only is the author not a native English speaker, but also where they're from - not that it matters in a philosophical or ideological way. It CAN often make it easier to understand the context of their grammar errors.

The other thing is that I see a lot of people, especially in the sale/trade area that ask for or offer something, but don't bother to mention what part of the world they're in. A lot of our toys are only available regionally, or they are VERY heavy, and so knowing where someone is can often help in deciding how to respond to a request for goods, or decide if you want to deal with the shipping.

Anyways.....

the sites rules state:
III(a)
Once you register, you should fill out your profile. Users who have not filled out their profile, and haven't been logged in for 30 days can be deleted at any time. Filling out your profile assures that you will remain a member, even if you plan on being away from the forum for a while.

it _SHOULD read:

A. Once you register, you MUST fill out your profile. Users who have not filled out their profile within 30 days, OR haven't been logged in for 30 days can be deleted at any time. Filling out your profile assures that you will remain a member, even if you plan on being away from the forum for a while.

That's my one suggestion for now :P

Oh...that and Free Beer coupons for everyone.

-Doug
Wolfram
Sun Jul 08 2007, 07:14AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Risking having one's account deleted just for being away from the forum for a month seems a bit strict, I think.
GreySoul
Sun Jul 08 2007, 04:34PM
yeah... that's not exactly what I meant.

I meant to say if you don't get your location tag filled out after 30 days.... you'll just be kicked no matter how active you are.

people don't need to put in their home address.... a state or even country is plenty - and not private info online anyways.

...how does this sound?

A. Once you register, you MUST fill out your profile. Users who have not filled out their profile within 30 days can be deleted at any time. Filling out your profile assures that you will remain a member, even if you plan on being away from the forum for a while.

once their profile is filled in they're safe AFAIC. But if they can't fill out their profile within 30 days they're just lazy....

Steve Conner
Mon Jul 09 2007, 09:17AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'm sure some people don't want you to know their location, just like they don't want you to know that their real name isn't .xXSteelW0lf1337Xx. I don't mind, until they start posting in the Sale And Trade board and people have no idea where the item is located.
GreySoul
Mon Jul 09 2007, 04:22PM
In general an IP address relates to a physical location.

I'm not suggesting people give their home address, SSN, Credit Card Info, phone Number, and Shoe size....

A country would be easy enough.

I know a lot of forum software has a flag plugin that links to the users IP address....puts a flag after their name that shows what country their IP is from.

if 1 in 100 use an out of area or anonymous proxy so be it... that's better than 7/10 not showing anything for location.

Chris Russell
Mon Jul 09 2007, 09:40PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
I can't see any reason at the moment to compel people to disclose their location in their profile. Unreadable posts are unreadable posts; how does knowing whether the person is from Springfield or Frankfurt help?

However, I can see how it might be nice to require people to include an item's location when selling something. That might belong in a sticky on the sale and trade board.

For what it's worth, a rather significant percentage of people that are posting are using various proxies that obfuscate their physical location. This makes me think that IP-based geolocation would be pretty inaccurate.
GreySoul
Thu Jul 12 2007, 10:53PM
Chris, fair enough. After thinking about it a bit more I can see certain agree that privacy > my convenience :)

And I'm sure we agree on the sales/trades posts. I swear I asked for this by saying anything in the first place...: Link2

As for proxies - I concede there are no surefire absolute methods of tracking every person.... and to imply that anyone here would have a specific reason beyond their own desire for privacy to do so isn't my intent... but I do wonder why so many people use them .

I propose we initiate a door-to-door search of all Internet connected regions. We'll search out every 4HV members and institute a "tag and release" style RFID satellite tracking system to make sure they don't lie about where they say they're from.... (yes...I'm kidding)

Anyways.....

I'll go back to my cave now :)

-Doug
Chris Russell
Sat Jul 14 2007, 04:19PM
Chris Russell ... not Russel!
Registered Member #1 Joined: Thu Jan 26 2006, 12:18AM
GreySoul wrote ...

As for proxies - I concede there are no surefire absolute methods of tracking every person.... and to imply that anyone here would have a specific reason beyond their own desire for privacy to do so isn't my intent... but I do wonder why so many people use them .

Many don't have a choice. Some ISPs as well as some businesses and college campuses force all http traffic to pass through a caching proxy. Campuses aren't a problem, because we can generally figure out where they are. But businesses and ISPs can have fairly vast networks, so the caching proxy may be quite far away from the actual user.

However, there are still some few people that choose to use proxies, like Tor. There are many reasons why one might want to do this, privacy being the most obvious. Interestingly, 4hv.org is blocked by the Chinese government, so any users in China would have to use a proxy. Various workplaces probably also have 4hv.org blocked, as I am sure websense has us listed as a message board.

At any rate, I think I agree that people selling ought to at least tell us where the item is located. I'll put a sticky in the sale/trade board.
Dave Marshall
Tue Jul 17 2007, 03:38AM
Dave Marshall Registered Member #16 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 02:22PM
BlueCoat has us listed as a forum/bulletin board as well. The only reason I can access the board while I'm out here in the sandbox is because I made a special request, and the level of moderation on the forum keeps it well within the realm of 'appropriate and educational'.

Interestingly, my IP from this location lists me as being in the San Francisco area. Only, oh about 10,000 miles off.

Privacy is a huge concern for alot of people, and I can understand why. There are alot of reasons to keep your actions online seperate from 'real life'.

Dave

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: