All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Power Supply concept for 6" Tesla Coil

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
sparky
Wed Jun 20 2007, 06:29AM Print
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
I am coming up with a list of ways of getting at least 7.5 kVA for my 6" Tesla Coil. I have thought about using:

a. 2 PT units in parallel - 3kVA 14.4kV run at 7.5 kVA
b. a Pole Distribution Unit - 10 KVA 14.4kV
c. using 4 MOTs in series W/ DC voltage doubler circuit

....I'm curious about using "c" - anyone ever try rectifying 4 MOTs in series? Nearly 20 KVDC @ 7 kW.... that would be interesting to cram into an RSG driven tesla coil. I guess I'm following Roger Smiths idea of using MOT powered DC X 2 .... anybody here ever try this???

Any thoughts on this? I could save big money and not have to worry about truckin' around a 260 lbs transformer.... though I must admit I'd like to buy a Pole Transformer! cheesey
J. Aaron Holmes
Wed Jun 20 2007, 07:03AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
The DC resonant charging topology is probably more like what you'd want for your MOT idea. The common two-capacitor voltage doubler circuit would cut your break rate in half, since it would take a full cycle to charge both caps.

If you have the MOTs and not the PTs, I guess go with what you've got and try the MOT stacking. I doubt if I could be bothered to deal with MOTs in a SGTC circuit (they're great for VTTCs, though!), but for some people MOTs are all that's easy to come by.

PTs are great, tough little units that are pleasant to work with. Well, *sometimes* they're little. I have a truly little 750VA PT that I can lift with one hand, and it's been pushed to 3kVA for short spurts. The 750VA and 1.5kVA 14.4kV PTs are just about the ultimate SGTC transformers out there, IMO, for their scalability and portability. 3kVA PTs are monsters, and are hard to come by. Often times these weigh as much as pigs (or more!) due to the extremely oversized cores generally employed for improved voltage regulation. A single 3kVA PT should survive short 7.5kVA runs no problem.

But if you think you'll go up from 7.5kVA, and if you don't mind dealing with a 250lb PT, AND if you're going to go to the trouble or expense of fetching a large transformer, a 10kVA pig is probably a better buy.

Play safe!

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
sparky
Wed Jun 20 2007, 01:48PM
Thanks for the heads up Aaron! I am curious about DC Charging topology...however I'll try sticking with plain ol' AC first. I found a massive source for transformers so I'll be looking soon...
Dr. Drone
Wed Jun 20 2007, 02:34PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Jun 20 2007, 08:48PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
There's a Pulse transformer up for sale on ebay right now: Link2

If you're looking for a real challenge, you could rewind it for your purposes, provided that it has an iron core, its kinda hard to tell from the picture.

You 'could' rewind it for the output you're looking for. I planned on rewinding a 3180 VAC 24KVA transformer several years ago, but still haven't gotten around to that even though I have 90% of what I need, it's a pretty big undertaking! And considering the price of copper has gotten silly, you'd probably be much better off scavenging for transformers.

I was planning this before I got my little 1.5 KVA PT, although coming across a PT is kinda rare where I'm at.
sparky
Thu Jun 21 2007, 12:29AM
Actually copper has gone way way down... at least in Canada. My 1/2" X 50' copper tubing roll was $80 down from $120 with tax. Well I found MOTs and several 20:1 units at a junk shop - all in good shape I might add.... but I think I might just stick will plain ol' AC. I'm waiting to head south for my loot :)
J. Aaron Holmes
Thu Jun 21 2007, 05:50AM
sparky wrote ...

Actually copper has gone way way down... at least in Canada. My 1/2" X 50' copper tubing roll was $80 down from $120 with tax. Well I found MOTs and several 20:1 units at a junk shop - all in good shape I might add.... but I think I might just stick will plain ol' AC. I'm waiting to head south for my loot :)

South, eh? Stopping by Seattle, per chance? Pretty soon, the utilities around here are going to catch the paranoia germ everybody else has. Better stock up now!

That's a good price for that tubing (compared to what *I've* seen). Better stock up on that, too! wink

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
sparky
Thu Jun 21 2007, 06:00AM
Paranoia germ...??? Really??? Damn the hydro utilities guys are pretty cool up here then. They'll sell me anything they got! No restrictions unless its too heavy to haul :) No paranoia here! By heading South, I meant Southern BC --- I live in central part of BC here. I'll be heading back to Victoria in a week.
J. Aaron Holmes
Thu Jun 21 2007, 06:07AM
sparky wrote ...

Paranoia germ...??? Really??? Damn the hydro utilities guys are pretty cool up here then. They'll sell me anything they got! No restrictions unless its too heavy to haul :) No paranoia here! By heading South, I meant Southern BC --- I live in central part of BC here. I'll be heading back to Victoria in a week.

Excellent! Once I blow up my present lot of trannies, I'm heading for the border!! cheesey I look forward to hearing details of your spoils.

Yes, paranoia is taking over "down here"; I must be the only person I've talked to recently (and I talk to myself a lot wink) who's had luck just buying stuff off the local power utilities. It used to be easy everywhere, so I'm told, but not so lately. Of course, if you're willing to buy a brand new one, it's a lot easier to get somebody to listen to you!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
Paul Benham
Thu Jun 21 2007, 12:33PM
Paul Benham Registered Member #570 Joined: Wed Mar 07 2007, 03:41PM
Four MOT's where two are in series, center grounded, with another two in parallel with the first two works well. I use a full wave doubler with resonant charging and it goes really well. It is a lot of building though compared to a PT or pig. I am at around 5kVA at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: