All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

tesla coil effects on body???

Move Thread LAN_403
jameselectric
Tue Jun 19 2007, 05:28PM Print
jameselectric Registered Member #535 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 06:03AM
Without stepping into the psuedo science-realm. Does anyone know the effects of coils on the body. These things put out an awsome amount of power within a small radius. I'm sure a direct strike could kill you. Don't coils put out large amounts of emf energy and x -rays. I sure it didn't hurt tesla as he lived to be pretty old. My wife is always like that thing will cause cancer lol. Also a friend of mine saw the million volt man on tv. He said he stood on a metal plate and threw sparks from his fingertips??? not really sure what he was using??
Marko
Tue Jun 19 2007, 07:08PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Does anyone know the effects of coils on the body.

UV from the sparks and spark gap can be damaging to eyes. Prolonged breathing of high amounts of ozone and nitrogen oxides in closed spaces can be harmful.
Noise of pulsed coils can be harmful to ears.

Other than that there are no indirect effects.

I'm sure a direct strike could kill you.

No, in most cases it will not. But it is very advisable to treat the output of large coils as lethal and avoid it at all costs.

Don't coils put out large amounts of emf energy and x -rays.

EMF energy is unknown physical phenomena.

Tesla coils do produce large electric and magnetic fields in nearfield but radiate only tiny amounts of power at very long wavelength. In any case nothing of these has any direct harmful effects on body.

Electric field can, although, set the body at high potential over ground especially if floor or footwear are good insulators. Shocks can be received from grounded objects but due to high frequencies they are only unpleasant.

Only vacuum tube tesla coils are known to produce minor amounts of x-rays as anode braking radiation. Amounts produced are generally not harmful.

My wife is always like that thing will cause cancer

Ozone and nitrogen oxides can be carcinogenous.
sparky
Tue Jun 19 2007, 11:50PM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
A direct strike from a high power Tesla Coil could certainly cause burns. Death - quite unlikely.

Ozone and Nitrogen Oxides are NOT known to be carcinogenic but they can be irritants to the respiratory system.
ragnar
Wed Jun 20 2007, 03:06AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
jameselectric wrote ...

Without stepping into the psuedo science-realm. Does anyone know the effects of coils on the body. These things put out an awsome amount of power within a small radius. I'm sure a direct strike could kill you. Don't coils put out large amounts of emf energy and x -rays. I sure it didn't hurt tesla as he lived to be pretty old. My wife is always like that thing will cause cancer lol. Also a friend of mine saw the million volt man on tv. He said he stood on a metal plate and threw sparks from his fingertips??? not really sure what he was using??

Please can you put some more effort into your posts? Perhaps I am whining, but is it that hard to do a spellcheck, some carriage returns, and read your post before you submit it? I feel I am not the only person irritated by low-quality text. ^_^
HV Enthusiast
Thu Jun 21 2007, 12:42AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Firkragg,

Please be careful what you write in regards to safety. Blanketed statements such as "there are no indirect effects" is false. Just because they may not have been documented, doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, the electric and magnetic fields produced by even small coils exceed limits specified by various safety agencies. They may or may not be harmful, but please don't say they "aren't dangerous." Also, shocks from grounded objects can be very dangerous and harmful. At the least, they can produce severe RF burns, especially with solid state type CW coils. At the worst, they could surprise an operator making him lose his balance and fall into the mains power or primary etc...

Tesla coils are very dangerous. You need to take every precaution to protect yourself, and any observers when operating them. The output on a small coil may not be lethal, but the mains power on even the smallest SSTC can be downright lethal, especially for those overseas where you have 240VAC.

Marko
Thu Jun 21 2007, 08:42AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Please be careful what you write in regards to safety. Blanketed statements such as "there are no indirect effects" is false. Just because they may not have been documented, doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, the electric and magnetic fields produced by even small coils exceed limits specified by various safety agencies.

I was pretty careful with my statement (even overly careful with some). At frequencies involved the currents induced in body are absolutely very small with typycal tesla coils.
(reffering solely to produced electric and magnetic fields).

If ''there are no documented effects'' sounds better, then I'm with you. smile

Saying that those are direct health hazard is, as I think, being overly paranoid in any case. There are even claims how such electric fields are benefical to health and etc.

But since there is absolutely no documented danger and lots of pseudoscientific claims all I can say is that there is no such hazard. Electric field you pick up from safe distance from the TC will not give you cancer or shorten your lifespan.

sparky
Fri Jun 22 2007, 07:35AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
The secondary streamers from large Tesla Coils can pack quite a punch... I should know! The only very immediate danger is from the primary circuit ...and that can be deadly!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: