Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

866A for a VTTC?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Tue Jun 12 2007, 12:41AM Print
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Hey all, would an 866A HV rectifier tube work for a VTTC? I have one sitting around with no idea what it's any good for really.

I looked at Steve Wards site and it's not listed as a known to work tube, but I figured since i got it I may as well see.

-Doug
EDY19
Tue Jun 12 2007, 12:50AM
EDY19 Registered Member #105 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:54PM
Well, in order to make a tube coil, you must have a tube with at least three elements- the plate, grid, and cathode- this is only a rectifier tube, which is basicly a diode. So, if you need a diode in your VTTC, this could be used as a part of it smile But as the main driving tube, you'll have to do a bit more searching. VTTCs are a lot of fun to build though, so keep lookin for something suitable!
GreySoul
Tue Jun 12 2007, 01:12AM
figured. I got it a long time ago(1990ish?) because it was $5 and said high voltage on it :)

I found a 4-250A locally for $75 that might be what I end up with - I figure that would make for a hell of a VTTC.

thanks for the advise EDY19 :)

-Doug
Tue Jun 12 2007, 01:18AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You could use it as a part of a voltage doubler (level shifter like out of a microwave) although with only 250ma average current you will be somewhat limited in overall power. I suppose you could use a mot, voltage double it, put a big fat filter cap on it, and then use an interrupter to do short bursts using the energy stored in the cap tongue
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Jun 12 2007, 03:29AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
The best use for an 866A these days is to make a nighlight. Well, ok, that would be fine if 866A's didn't generate X-rays suprised I've got a few 866A's I've been searching for a reason to wire up. A friend used some in a homebrew linear amplifier for his ham radio station. I remember lifting the inspection plate and taking a peak at the 866A's glowing as he keyed the radio and thinking "Woa! Those are really cool!!" Mercury rectifiers are really neat to watch. The huge mercury arc rectifiers are even stranger, and are by far (IMO) the coolest tubes in existence.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Steve Conner
Tue Jun 12 2007, 01:35PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Mercury rectifiers don't generate X-rays that I know of, since their forward voltage is only tens of volts. I used one for mood lighting for a while, and I still have all my hair and teeth: Link2
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Jun 12 2007, 06:21PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Mercury rectifiers don't generate X-rays that I know of, since their forward voltage is only tens of volts. I used one for mood lighting for a while, and I still have all my hair and teeth: Link2

It is amusing that none of the 866A datasheets I can find say anything about this, however all six of my 866A tubes (RCA) have stickers on the bases warning of X-ray production (I'll take a photo tonight). Put the following into Google, too: 866A tube X-rays

I even found one page that talks about using an 866A specifically because it produces X-rays (for a homebrew X-ray machine. Yikes!

Hence I've been a bit reluctant to play with these.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
GreySoul
Tue Jun 12 2007, 06:42PM
I found the same site refering to 866A's as a makeshift Xray tube by hooking it to the top load of a tesla coil....

My RCA 866A also has the x-ray sticker.

In normal usage however I don't think there's a great risk of exciting the plates enough to emit any hazardous amounts of radiation - nothing I've seen warns of that. just passing references to X-rays from putting the tube on a very high voltage source.

... so anyways I was digging around my dads old box of tubes and found a very interesting tetrode. It's 600V 4000W, water cooled and made out of silver, brass, and the heaviest glass I've ever seen in a VC. the whole tube weighs around 10 pounds. I asked if I could have it and he said no because it' the only one left in the world of it's kind. there were 5 made by his old company. He kept one, the rest went to the military.

Some... some day I'll have a very unique power tube to play with, but not today.

-Doug
Tom540
Tue Jun 12 2007, 07:16PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Post a picture of that thing.
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Jun 12 2007, 07:21PM
Old tubes are neat stuff. I've got a couple of neat old radar modulator tubes, but getting data enough to actually use the tubes for something is the trick. A few of these were for the U.S. military, and the datasheets are unfindable (so far).

On the subject of mercury rectifiers: By far the coolest tubes out there (IMO) are the big, hot air balloon-shaped mercury arc rectifiers. Somebody just posted a video of one to YouTube. Not sure of its specs, but it would appear to be a big full-wave (three-phase?) unit. I'm sure the pictures don't do the size of this tube justice; these are enormous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-a8fxgtno

Unfortunately, thanks to the collectibility of them, they are nearly impossible to find, and nearly impossible to afford. The first person to employ one of these babies in a VTTC circuit will have forged a new axis on the coolness graph.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: