Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

maximum secondary turns

Move Thread LAN_403
sparky
Mon Jun 11 2007, 07:06AM Print
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
I'm going with a VERY tall secondary, and I am trying to get as much inductance as I possibly can without going too extreme. My secondary is a 6.25" PVC sewer pipe - and about 46" tall. With end caps in place I have about 43" of winding length. I will be winding with 27AWG to kick up the inductance.

I'm going to have 2440 turns when I'm finished. My primary is made of 1/2" copper tubing....
Is there a threshold number of turns in Tesla Coiling? Can this induce racing arcs? Any thoughts...opinions?

I'm curious....
uzzors2k
Mon Jun 11 2007, 07:51AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
I think the only limit is how much current the wire can carry. To thin and it might melt, destroying your secondary. Otherwise I can't see any ill effects from too many turns, besides increased resistance.
Marko
Mon Jun 11 2007, 08:10AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi sparky

I would say, that you really can't have ''too much turns'' on a SGTC.
It's just about winding with thinnest possible wire, and thinner wire is better since you can get more inductance in smaller volume.

First you construct the capacitor to meet requirements of your power supply, and then you use largest number of primary turns with lowest possible resoant frequency for the secondary.

But there's a simple thing you have to consider, what is the power you really have available? The huge secondary like that would look really funny if you powered it with a small NST and got 50cm or so sparks from it, and would be a waste of resources.

Sparks can generally exceed 3x the length of secondary so unless you have a big pig I would radically reduce the length of that secondary.

Sulaiman
Mon Jun 11 2007, 11:23AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Although I generally go with 'bigger is better' for an SGTC secondary,
mainly due to lower frequency / higher primary impedance / lower SG losses,
(also higher 'Q' and easier pri-sec coupling)
I did find a limit to this;

As Firkragg said, the primary capacitor is chosen to match the NST or OBIT or whatever,
With an optimal one spark per half-cycle of mains frequency (60Hz=120bps, 50Hz=100bps)
the energy stored in the capacitor for each spark is fixed/limited.
The energy stored in the primary capacitor is transfered to the secondary capacitance,
higher secondary capacitance causes lower secondary voltage, hence shorter arcs.

This effect was evident with my 6.25" dia sewer pipe with 28.5" 27awg 1800 turn winding, amazed
with a 5-0-5 kV 20mA OBIT and single static un-blown SG. (18" arcs)
As above, 18" arcs with a 3ft secondary does look 'wimpy'

I would use the 6.25" pipe but use H/D <=3.5,
(H/D=PI sounds 'cool' to me), (my next coil will be H/D=PI/sqrt(2))

With the pipe and wire you have, I would cut the pipe in half and make two identical coils;
Then you can try
'TWIN' SGTC
'Wireless Power Transmission'
or you could stack them to have one double height/turns secondary to compare.

A low H/D coil will also be better for SSTC/DRSSTC/OLTC etc. experiments

That's my thinking anyway.

P.S. a 'Twin' is a good idea since roughly speaking
each secondary receives half the energy hence 0.707 the voltage - 1.414 times the voltage between the twins.

P.P.S. your planned coil would have a resonant frequency of about 60 kHz with suitable topload
which would require a VERY large primary coil = very expensive with current copper prices.
I'd consider 8mm 'micro bore' copper tubing for cost and size and ease of construction, with negligible efficiency loss.
I think that you could make two 8mm primaries for the cost of one large 1/2" primary.

P.P.P.S. The OBIT mentioned above no longer works, I tried too large a spacing for the spark gap and 'killed' it
don't be dumb like me, use a safety spark gap OR don't open the main spark gap too far.
sparky
Mon Jun 11 2007, 02:21PM
No SSTCs here....I'm going with a traditional coil setup.

I'm powering the 6.25" diameter BY 43" tall secondary with a pretty decent power supply. Either I will run this coil with a dual PT in parallel for 7 kVA or a 15kVA PIG. My cap will be around the 0.08 uF level....so I am preparing for some serious output especially since I've gone with a 1/2" copper tubing primary.

I got quoted the other day - $250 Canadian for each PT (1.5kVA - 14.4KV) or $500 for a 15kVA PIG (15kVA 14.4 kV) hummm.... oh the madness :) Muhahahahhaah.... I think the PIGGY will be a nice addition.
Sulaiman
Mon Jun 11 2007, 02:29PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Aaaah, much higher power level than I was considering - so ignore everything I wrote cry
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 11 2007, 02:29PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
If you're going to spend that much, why not go the whole way and get some larger diameter pipe so you can have a secondary with a decent aspect ratio. Very tall, thin secondaries can cause problems with the coupling being too low.
Marko
Mon Jun 11 2007, 05:46PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Huh, for 15kVA, your secondary may actually be too small!

You would have possibillity for 200inch arcs so you could go up to 70 inch secondary length, maybe a little less but not for much!

You may also consider using fatter secondary, but I don't know!

Or you may leave this one as is, get on a big topload and have more spectacular sparks.. amazed
sparky
Mon Jun 11 2007, 11:03PM
I'm not going to run all 15kVA - I'm going to try a simple 8KVA to start and see where the performance goes. 6.25" PVC X 43" tall secondary is all I'm after for now. 8" diameter PVC is rather expensive.... I am trying to make my Tesla Coil portable as much as possible. I maybe changing the design of my coil too --- I might go with PTs instead of a PIG unit. Yet again, if I find a 10 kVA PIG I might just go with it instead. Then I have to find ballasting materials too... humm.... this project is going to be a lot of work, but it sure is going to be fun!!

I calculated that my inductance on my secondary to be 140 mH and my primary to be around 15 uH. My Cap will be 0.08 uF 48 kVDC rated...
I think thats plenty of inductance for 6.25" secondary.... really :)

UPDATE

I ran out of wire at 31" .... still it was a lot of work and it appears to have payed off. I guessing 1700 turns - 145 ohms measured. The primary is literally no resistence and it is 1/2 copper tubing. I'll be doing a test with the NSTs (12kV 120mA) using a 32 nF cap just for a test. I'm expecting intense streamers... even off a static gap!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: