Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Accidental Titration w/ Indicator

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Shaun
Wed May 30 2007, 11:43PM Print
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
So I was at work the other day, and we were getting ready to mop up at the end of the night. The mop bucket has 2 cleaners added, bleach and something called G.P. Fresh (?). After the bleach is added to the hot water, the GP Fresh, which is dark green, turns clear instantly upon being added, up to a very specific point after which it remains green.

I know bleach's NaOCl is a weak acid, and on further inspection of the label on the GP Fresh, I see "It's slightly acidic pH will not harm floors..." and on the ingredients, citric acid is present.

What I'm wondering is, what causes the color change? Could the dye just be naturally pH sensitive?
Chris
Wed May 30 2007, 11:53PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
NaOCl is not an acid, as it has no H+. In fact typical bleach solutions contain a significant amount of sodium hydroxide left over from production. As a strong base, this likely caused the reaction. The dye could be an inadvertant pH indicator, or possibly the chemicals in the bleach just reacted with it regardless of pH, destroying the color.
ragnar
Thu May 31 2007, 12:00AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I found most of the inks from my blue pens turn green, if you write on something absorbent and apply a drop of acid... =P
Shaun
Thu May 31 2007, 05:52AM
Oh sorry, weak acid for NaOCl is a typo, i meant weak base.
Bored Chemist
Thu May 31 2007, 04:50PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
All the bottles of bleach I have seen (at least since I started reading that sort of thing) have warned that they shouldn't be mixed with other products. Does yours?
Shaun
Thu May 31 2007, 07:21PM
Well, yea, both bottles do say that, but my boss(es) are what you might call, well, chemically retarded. I saw no bubbles or foam forming (which I have seen with a mix of bleach and hand soap with bleach alternative), just the color change. I figure at the most it makes it clean worse by partially neutralizing the cleaning agents.

The possibility that the bleach simply destroys the dye makes a lot of sense to me now. That is what bleach is known for, right? Oxidizing away color?
sparky
Fri Jun 01 2007, 01:35AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
Mixing strong Acids with NaOCl based products is a BIG no no! Its a fast way to wind yourself up in the ER with a serious case of Chlorine gas poisoning! I once saw a nasty accident with Industrial bleach and liquid drain remover - 95% H2SO4 --- VERY violent reaction and lots and lots of Chlorine gas....
Shaun
Fri Jun 01 2007, 04:13AM
Believe me, I know where you're coming from. I had a few nice whiffs of Cl2 during a chlorate electrolysis process. As I said, no bubbles were formed upon mixing. I know this doesn't neccesarily mean no gas is forming (see aqueous NaOH + NH4NO3 solution), but if anyone would recognize the scent of chlorine, it would be me, and there was none. A small amount probably did form initially, but there was so much water and so little reagent, that the gas should have just gone into solution, as it is fairly soluble.

I do my best to stay safe, really, but acids and gases tend to make you rethink your methods...
Simon
Fri Jun 01 2007, 05:51AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Yes, bleach has a nasty habit of releasing chlorine gas (or worse) with a whole range of chemicals.

wrote ...

NaOCl is not an acid, as it has no H+.
On a technicality, an acid doesn't have to contain H+, depending on definition. The common high-school acid definition is centred on H+ (the Bronsted-Lowry definition, I think it is) but there are other kinds of acid.

FeCl3 (that etchant) is considered a kind of acid. Formally it is a Lewis acid. No H whatsoever.

Edit: Whoops! Thanks BC! Embarrassing... (I'm supposed to be a chem tutor, too...)
Bored Chemist
Fri Jun 01 2007, 04:56PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
That was a good point right up until you gave the wrong formula for Ferric chloride.

Surely the real point is why bother to mix the products?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: