Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Finished SSTC but having problems

Move Thread LAN_403
Danielle
Wed May 30 2007, 06:25PM Print
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
I just finished my second SSTC but while I was raising the voltage both my IGBTs blew and my 12 A fuse on the variac blew. The wave forms are good so that's not the problem. I know these were the conditions at failure.

Half bridge of IGBTs
HGTG30N60C3D

Voltage divider

Voltage full wave rectified failed at 37v

2 turns on primary secondary fres= 270KHz
4.5"*9" dimensions of secondary, 30 gage wire.

Have a large filter cap and a film cap across +\- on IGBTs.

2 3.3 uf 250v ceramic film caps as divider.
circuit is protected by zeners, TVS and diodes
GDT 1:1:1 commercial because my 1:2:2 didn't have as clean wave forms.
I had a fluorescent tube 2 ft from the coil and it was glowing brightly in full daylight.
1\4 " spark off breakout point

no toroid.

please help I really don't want to blow more IGBTs I have 24 left and blown 30 on all my coils.
I think its a tuning issue but where should I start?

Thanks for the help,

Daniel.
edit: wouldn't adding more turns help me limit current helping this problem or is it involving coupling too?
Steve Ward
Wed May 30 2007, 08:18PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
2 turn primary might be a bit small. Ive gone down to this few turns, and it didnt help performance (but increased the current draw a lot).

Id also suspect your gate drive. Its possible you have a shoot-through condition where 2 IGBTs conduct at the same time during the switching transitions. You can detect this by scoping the +/- supply rails right at the IGBTs. If you see really large dips in the supply voltage, this can be an indication.

Its all in the details with this stuff, and ive just scratched the surface.
Danielle
Wed May 30 2007, 08:21PM
I was thinking that shoot through was possible, so I am planning to build a new self resonant driver soon but for now..... Ill get to it. and my DRSSTC. For this SSTC how many windings on the primary should I start with?, and also what should the maximum sparks I should expect. I ran this similarly at full power and got only a 6" flame. BTW I am running it non interrupted.
thedatastream
Thu May 31 2007, 06:39AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
Is 270kHz a bit too fast for IGBTs? Running at these frequencies with a 50% duty cycle, I would have thought you would expect to see some shoot through caused by the slow turn off of the devices...
Steve Conner
Thu May 31 2007, 11:59AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
270kHz uninterrupted may be too fast. My DRSSTC runs at 220kHz, but I used the fastest IGBTs available, and it's interrupted with a 1 to 2% duty cycle. The dual resonant topology also lowers the switching losses compared to a regular SSTC. I estimated the switching losses in my setup a while back, and they were over 1kW IIRC, far too high for uninterrupted operation.

Devices can die for a lot of reasons, far too many to list them all here, but other posters have raised some good points that you should check out.
Danielle
Thu May 31 2007, 03:24PM
Thanks for the help I guess I should build a new coil for my DRSSTC so I can run it much more efficiently, do you have any recommendations for fast IGBTs? I Saw some IGBTs that can run at 900Khz I should get those for something like this. Whats nice is that its an acrylic tube and really nicly wound is there something als I could do with it I really don't want to use FETs they caint supply enough power.
Brett Miller
Thu May 31 2007, 05:08PM
Brett Miller Registered Member #593 Joined: Tue Mar 20 2007, 12:32AM
Daniel,

I wouldn't run 100% duty cycle (CW) with IGBT's at all if I were you. You might be able to get away with this with some hyper fast IGBT's and a 60Khz huge secondary...but not something I would want to attempt. I get 14 inch sparks on my SSTC (Steve Ward type MiniSSTC ant feedback) at 8% duty...30 prf with 3ms on-time. For those sparks I used a 31 awg 12.5" x 4.5" resonator (Fo == 170Khz) and a 11.75 x 2.75 toroid. With this same setup (IRFP260N FETS by the way) I get an 8" CW flame with no interrupter and the fets stay ice cold, as long as I don't start drawing flaming power arcs...in which case they do warm up.

I've thought about trying IGBT's in this coil by winding a slower secondary and upgrading the gate drive, but then why? It would be time, money and effort that I could put into my DRSSTC anyway so what's the point. If you want a good rock solid SSTC, I'd use a half bridge of IRFP260's and make the good old self resonant. I've never had a single failure, and I've really abused this thing. I've vaporized several sets of jumpers that were too thin to be good primary wires...I've tried all sorts of secondary sizes and Fo speeds with it, and not a single failure.

-Brett
Danielle
Thu May 31 2007, 09:33PM
Thanks for the help and I guess Ill work on my DRSSTC Ill get this running with fets and packaged it away for demos and do some serious work with the DRSSTC.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: