All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rail strikes and some internal "popping"

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Tue May 29 2007, 04:04AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I just tried my Tesla coil for the second time and I put the video on YouTube Link2

I would like to hear what you experienced coilers think? Is it ok? I got 5 foot strikes with power input from two 15kv/60ma NSTs. The toroid is 24" x 12" x 6". Cp is 0.05uf. I have a synch rotary gap/controller and a filter. The secondary is 6" x 29.5" wound on acrylic.

Are the strikes on the guard rail reasonable? Do I need a taller secondary?
Also, when I get the power close to maximum I sometimes hear a popping sound that seems to be coming from the inside of the toroid and the streamers shrink in size or disappear until I lower the power and raise it back up again. Any suggestions?
Electroholic
Tue May 29 2007, 04:37AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
caps popping and arking inside?
Brett Miller
Tue May 29 2007, 05:36AM
Brett Miller Registered Member #593 Joined: Tue Mar 20 2007, 12:32AM
iamsmooth,

I thought your coil footage was great! Love the sync rotary action. The sparks look great too, I see nothing at all unreasonable about an occational strike rail hit, and I have seen the same on other coils with strike rails. Personally, my largest disruptive coil featured a static gap and a single 12/60 NST, and my largest sparks were 45 inches. However, I used no strike rail. I prefer to use a two toroid system where there is a smaller ACR (Anti Corona Ring) below the main toroid. I position these in such a way that they provide efield shaping that ensures streamers are directed horizontally and clear of the primary. I've never had a primary strike using this method, but then I did not run your power levels either, so I can't say for certain that this technique would help in your system. In any case, congratulations, your coil looks like a great success!

-Brett
Steve Ward
Tue May 29 2007, 05:54AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Sounds very characteristic of internal arcing inside your secondary. Ive had it happen too, and the sound of "sparks inside the toroid" and loss of output were exactly what i noted. Are there any sharp points near the ends of the secondary that might promote internal discharges? Fix them if they exist. Otherwise, you might need internal baffles.

Coil looks great, BTW.
Coronafix
Tue May 29 2007, 06:53AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Very nice!!
Maybe try a breakout point.
hvguy
Tue May 29 2007, 08:11AM
hvguy Registered Member #289 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 10:45AM
Nice coil and good output for 15/120.

To second Steve, the problem sounds just like internal arcing. If the secondary is flashing over inside you may have caught it just in time. One good arc can carbon track your form and destroy the secondary. If you check the coil and find it's not flashing over I would start checking connections and looking for arcing elsewhere.
sparky
Wed May 30 2007, 04:02AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
That is a GREAT video! I really enjoyed it... thanks for sharing! 5 -6 ft is about normal for a Tesla Coil that size with that power level. Good work! Beautifully built coil I must say!!!

I have always made my secondary forms tall --- lots and lots of extra turns to prevent secondary to primary flash over. Right now I'm in the middle of building an 8" X 46" Tesla secondary wound with 24AWG. --- we will see what the extra inductance will do to the output of the streamers.
Shaun
Thu May 31 2007, 07:35PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
I totally agree, awesome video. If you are concerned about rail strikes, I would say definetely go with the double toroid setup. The smaller toroid doesn't even need to be well constructed, from my experience. Just for a tiny bit of e-field shaping/shielding.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: