Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

gdt problem

Move Thread LAN_403
the_anomaly
Tue May 29 2007, 08:01PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
Thanks for all the help so far, I think I’m beginning to understand how the whole thing works. But I don’t understand what’s happening with my pulse in the gdt. I send it a square wave and out the other end I get a deformed square wave. Just to experiment (and see if I *was* using the wrong type of core) I changed from using a ucc chip to a small npn transistor to drive a small inverter transformer and I get the same type of wave deformation (as before) on a smaller scale. My results were
On 10us/div:
high duty cycle
low duty cycle

The zero reference point for the tl494 output (top wave) is the bottom of third division counting from the top down (about where the wave’s bottom is).

The zero reference point for the transformer output (bottom wave) is the top of the first division (counting from the bottom up).

I noticed that when I was using ucc chips, by just connecting the gdt, the output wave of the ucc chips was deformed before it even reached the gdt. What causes this sort of thing to happen?
Marko
Tue May 29 2007, 08:23PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Nick, you didn't listen...

Your waveform is ''deformed'' because you configured the TL494 to do it.

You tied both outputs together and you will never get symetric waveform unless you exactly adjust it, wich isn't very practical and destroys deadtime benefit you would have normally.

I don't know what else to tell you, except I wuld really recommend you to try out steve's design. Link2

It's really a circuit you can hardly get wrong with and all you need to do is replace the TL494 with antenna and one buffer.

Once you get it working I assure you you will get on much easier with everything. smile

Wolfram
Tue May 29 2007, 08:23PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
You are not supposed to vary the duty cycle, it should be 50% at all times.

For the third time, you need to connect it like Firkragg said farther up in the thread.

Your frequency is probably way too low, the usual Fres of tabletop SSTC secondaries is around 250-450KHz.

When you use the higher frequency, you can get away with less turns on the GDT, somewhere around 8-12 is usual, depends on many factors, experiment!

When it comes to UCC decoupling, use several caps. A 100nF ceramic and a 1-10µF tantalum very close to each UCC and a 100-1000µF electrolytic cap in common for both of them worked good for me.

For nice gate waveforms, gate resistors are essential.

the_anomaly
Wed May 30 2007, 04:51PM
the_anomaly Registered Member #19 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 03:19PM
ok sorry about making you have to repeat it I dunno what’s been running through my mind..
So I separated each output and gave each its own pull down resistor and each its own ucc chip. Now how am I supposed to connect both outputs of the ucc chips? Do I just parallel them? By symmetric I think you mean there needs to be a perfect square wave in the primary in order for the secondary to have a square wave and keep the core from saturating right? I don't understand why it was necessary to separate both outputs. oh and why is it when I put a dc blocking cap on the output the wave drops below zero to about +6, -6 volts? I've seen steves design but I don't have any buffers and it seems a shame to waste all this time working with the tl494 and abandon it.
Josh Johnson
Thu May 31 2007, 03:59AM
Josh Johnson Registered Member #793 Joined: Sun May 20 2007, 06:50PM
Hey Nick,

Make sure to check out these sites:

GDT Design

Guide to help you make sure your GDT is good.

Plasma02 Schematic

I think the link to the Plasmasonic schematic will help clear up things. It is a very successful similar design to Richies TL494 setup. Pay attention to the notes in the schematic. Very informative.

Your
high duty cycle
low duty cycle
links are broken.

Good luck,
JJ

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: