Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

science project

Move Thread LAN_403
Steve Ward
Wed May 30 2007, 12:39AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Getting MMC caps fast is tricky. You can check ebay, sometimes there are MMC caps for sale at a slight mark up in cost.

For wiring, id suggest no less than 16awg wire. The little clip lead sets you get from radioshack are often too wimpy for this sort of use. I often make my own heavy duty clip leads from heavier wire and stick my own aligator clips on the end..
Yongsoo
Wed May 30 2007, 01:00AM
Yongsoo Registered Member #804 Joined: Fri May 25 2007, 04:42AM
would i be making resonant capacitor, static gap ltr capacitor, or a srsg ltr capactor?

and would these work? Link2

it says 2000vdc and i think my transformer is ac
Coronafix
Wed May 30 2007, 03:19AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
Go for static gap LTR cap bank, so with your tranny
you should be aiming at 11 or 12 nF.
GreySoul
Wed May 30 2007, 04:51AM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
those are probably the best caps around for building MMCs.

For your 12/30 NST you'll need 15 of them. that gives you .0099uF in a static gap larger than resonant (LTR) MMC. (edit: I get my acronyms wrong a lot, sorry)

Also, a decently cheap source of wire are the cheap 16ga orange extension cords from home depot. you get like 75' of wire (25' x black, white, and green) and a male and female connector. You can use the male end to get power to your NST if it doesn't come with a cord. The female end is great for adding to a variac.

now get busy.

-Doug

Coronafix
Wed May 30 2007, 07:03AM
Coronafix Registered Member #160 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 02:07AM
LTR = Larger than resonant
Resonant x 1.414
Yongsoo
Thu May 31 2007, 12:15AM
Okay, I have my magnet wire and my pipe and I have no idea how to get started. Where/how do I start the secondary coil and how do I keep the wire from unraveling?
GreySoul
Thu May 31 2007, 12:42AM
I used tape as I wound my coil...by hand...very slowly. it took me the better part of a day to get it done right.... I messed up a lot the first attempt.

don't use too much tape, or you'll deform the coil when you remove it. when all is said and done you can use lacquer, Glyptol, or polyurethane to seal the whole coil. I opted for about 2 cans of Krylon electronic grade clear coat. then a layer of old amber lacquer for color.

As for winding.... tape the wire to the coil about 3-4" from one end of the pipe and start coiling. It's best not to drill a hole to pass the wire through or you will experience internal arcing/racing. A simple winding jig can be made with some skateboard or roller blade wheels and PVC/metal/wood so that you can roll the pipe on a level plane and control tension on the wire.

You'll want about 1000 turns, so figure the number of turns per inch and extrapolate from there. There are some nice charts out there to get the exact number of turns per inch, hit up google for Tesla coil design sites.

always overestimate the length of pipe you'll need for your first coil.... I figured 2' would be plenty and by 22" I was out of room @ 700 turns or so. It works ok, but it's not ideal.

-Doug
Yongsoo
Thu May 31 2007, 01:54AM
Do I tape the inside or the outside?

And for my pipe, I couldn't find any 3 inch pvc pipes. The best I found was this 3"x2' abs pipe which I was told it was made out of polyurethane but I found out it's a black pvc pipe which the hvwiki tells me not to use. Do I need a new pipe? and where would I be able to obtain one.
CT2
Thu May 31 2007, 02:30AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
You tape over your wire to hold it in place as you wrap it, your wire is on the outside of the pipe. As to the ABS question, some say it's bad others say it doesn't matter, personally I have used both and I didn't have a problem with the ABS. My coil was small though (2"x8") so there may be issues with a larger coil.
GreySoul
Thu May 31 2007, 03:01AM
if you're stuck with black ABS plastic then I'd say at least coat it with a layer or two of clearcoat or lacquer.

As for the tape, just use little strips, like 1" long of scotch tape, to hold your work as you go. Alternatively you can use super glue, but it's gonna be impossible to fix mistakes.

-Doug

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: