Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Gallium + Aluminum = hydrogen Gas

Move Thread LAN_403
EEYORE
Thu May 31 2007, 06:46PM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
Yea, im beginning to side with you against gallium. I guess it was also an excuse to get some gallium...

As to the H2 balloons...Wow that is very funny!Id love to see that happen, that will show those people who have a desire to pop balloons just for destruction...

Matt
Shaun
Thu May 31 2007, 07:25PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Don't get me wrong, tho, I would love to have some gallium. A non-toxic metal that melts in your hand? How cool is that?
And you can make alloys with it that melt below room temp, so its like non-toxic mercury substitute. I've always wanted to know what it would feel like to put your hand in a beaker of mercury, if it wasn't poisonous. I bet the weight of the liquid would feel like squeezing your hand.

Sadly, that much gallium would cost hundreds of dollars...
Swany
Fri Jun 01 2007, 05:31PM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
But you'd be wrong. Gallium is notorious for its lack of surface tension and it's property of sticking to everything, quite unlike Hg! To clear Hg of surface goo, I pour it into a filter paper and it just sits there, well, poke a hole in the paper and the Hg streams through leaving the gunk behind.

Hg's toxicity has been blown out of proportion by the media. I have 3lbs of it 3 feet from me, but that is irrelivent as it is sealed quite happily. It is interesting to stick your hand in it and have it come out perfectly dry. Gallium, on the other hand, would coat your hand with a silvery film and it sticks to beakers and mirrors everything it touches.
Shaun
Fri Jul 13 2007, 05:02AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Right, I know gallium can be used to wet glass to make 1st surface mirrors, so it would probably do the same for a filter paper.

So you actually can safely touch HG? Is that because only the vapor is poisonous (as long as you don't eat the liquid or something...)? I have about 5 grams I got from the old thermometers our chem teacher was gonna throw out, but where can I get 3 pounds? not just for touching, but it would be nice to have.

Could you compare it to the toxicity of solid or liquid lead? Because I know how overblown that is... I should be dead with the amount of lead-based soldering I've done.
Swany
Tue Jul 17 2007, 05:49PM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
The toxicities of the two metals are not exactly comparable due to the differing physical traits. Lead vapors and compounds are dangerous, just as mercury's are. However, the bp. of Hg is circa de ~380C wheras lead is 1700C or so. Vapor pressures for both are much different, however both of them are very low at touchy-feely tempartures.

So, mercury is dangerous.... partially true. Once it is absorbed in your bloodstream or stuck in your body yes. Let us go over the possible ways of mercury exposure:
Handling: high surface tension and a barrier of skin implies that it will not be readily absorbed. Stay away from open cuts, but even there the surface tension...
Inhaling: rather difficult to do; the RT metal does not exactly evaporate oh-so-quickly, and the heated metal --well, don't do that.
Ingestion: It literally goes right through you due to density, your body retains about 1%, so I've read. Wouldn't try that.

Just don't eat lead.

Gallium toxicity, never hear anything about that.. some gallium compounds are used medically, Ga (III) behaves as iron in body chemistry, so in theory lots of Ga(III) could do bad things, but it is used as an antibacterial agent for that exact reason.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: