Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla coil quenching problem ( #2)he supply is acrosos

Move Thread LAN_403
Robert Mani
Wed May 23 2007, 06:09PM Print
Robert Mani Registered Member #799 Joined: Wed May 23 2007, 05:24PM
Hello forum guys,

I am trying to build a a tesla coil but have some difficulty. I am using a 10 kV , 30 mA neon sign transformer ( picture is attached). The two terminals of teh power supply are connected across the
the spark gap.The spark gap is parallel with a 6.6 nf capacitor ( I have 15, 1kV, 100 nf capaciors in series) and a primary of tesla coil which is about 11 uH. The resoannce frequncy is about 620kHz.

The problem is I get good sparking in spark gap ( I have 4 copper rods 1 mm apart) when I connect teh power supply but as soon as I connect the primary coil, the sparking dies. I have tried the Oudin configuration ( where the supply is across the capacitor) and the normal configuartion ( where the supply is across the spark gap) and the same problem.

The only think that works is if I put the power suply, capacitor, primary coil and spark gap in series in that order. I thinkeither teh power supply or teh capacitor may not be suiatble.

Pictures of spark gap, capacitor and power supply are attached.

Please give me some hints.

[Edit: Image size maximum 400 pixels Link2 ]
Dago
Wed May 23 2007, 06:23PM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
You are supposed to connect the capacitor in series with the primary coil, not in parallel.
Robert Mani
Wed May 23 2007, 07:08PM
Dago,

I did connect the capacitor in series with teh primary coil. I was saying that I connected the spark gap
in parallel with the series combination of capcitor and primary coil. As soon as I coonect the spek gap to the series LC circuit ,the sparking stops.
See sttahced diagram.

I have also tried the other setting where the power supply is across the capacitor and the series combination of spark gap + primary are in parallel with it. Sameproblem there.
see attached.
Robert Mani
Wed May 23 2007, 07:11PM
Dago,

Please see the two diagrams on the following links. It did not attach properly in my last response.

Link2
Steve Conner
Wed May 23 2007, 07:34PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That looks like a high frequency electronic neon power supply. Tesla coils don't work properly with these, you're supposed to use an old-fashioned neon sign transformer with a real iron core.

If you are feeling brave, you might want to try adding a rectifier made of high voltage fast recovery diodes. If the output of that thing was rectified, it might work.
Ken M.
Thu May 24 2007, 02:12AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
I've tried the HF Electronic PS's and I imagine at some point Steve it'd fail. I tried to the same thing a few years ago off the idea from I think...Extreme electronics where the ac was rectified and put through a cap bank and some other suff, the coil produced extremely weak arcs regardles to what I did until it killed the rectifier and the ps, after blowing the PS's fuse and several electronics that I could never really find what the problem was.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: