All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC, yes another!

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Fri Jun 08 2007, 09:51PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
suprised Yikes!
Marko
Fri Jun 08 2007, 10:14PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Steve Ward wrote ...

Does this same breaker supply power to your control logic? If so, then that is likely a problem. The fix (for my case) was to install a 120V coil relay across my interrupter signal. If my control logic loses power, the relay grounds out the signal (the interrupter has 100 ohms output impedance for safety from this short). This is how i lost about 4 CM300s awhile back mad .

Steve, I don't see a failure mode with your classic circuit wich could lead to this, spare the brick driver.

At point where UCC's go UVLO IGBT's should still ave 10 or so V of gate drive and should be fine.

I was thinking about what would happen if LV supply lost power and I never seen such problem happening to anybody.

Scavenger, please give us some insight into your power supply.

If you are scoping the DC bus, you must be using isolation transformer, right?

And I guess you aren't powering the control logic from a variac, unless it has a spare outlet?

BTW, I think I also know what was blowing your GDT.
Part Scavenger
Sat Jun 09 2007, 01:15AM
My power supply:
120V to isolation xfrmr to variac to doubler to bus. The controller has a separate outlet, but that outlet is shared with the isolation transformer. The controller never lost power, and I was not scoping the bus at the time (no probes were connected).

The 5A breaker on the relay popped, the coil went silent. I actually expected to turn it back on and run it again, but no. Maybe the IGBT's did die first. I upped the current to 160A and I was tuning it. At the time I was getting a very small notch and my current was jumping up so quickly that my burst length and spark length was being limited alot by the OCD. Something is still weird though, my 0'scope was reading exactly 320A peak, which was about where I would have expected failure. So, if I was running right on the edge, and my variac tripped, would the voltage increase for a few cycles enough to spike the current? I've got kinda small filter caps you know... Like I said, they could have died first, but it NEVER happens that way. It also could have been that my breaker was about to trip when the IGBT's let loose and so it fired immediately... Really, I need to provide more sound information to officially chaulk this failure to anything. I just wanted to know if this was a common thing, and if there was some way I should get around it.

I think I figured out what was causing that 1A draw when I suddenly shut off the interuppter, but I need to re-check the scope shot to see if I remember it correctly.

"BTW, I think I also know what was blowing your GDT"
Sure! Another brain is better than mine. ;)
Marko
Sat Jun 09 2007, 11:08AM
Hi.

"BTW, I think I also know what was blowing your GDT"
Sure! Another brain is better than mine. ;)

As I was running my coil with isolation transformer I noticed arcing between PCB traces on my bridge. The entire DC bus, being isolated, was elevating it's potential to probably several kilovolts by capacitive coupling to coil's output.

When I disconnected my scope cables, wich were grounding the circuit board, the arcing stopped.

These could have equally as easy blown my GDT or silicone insulators.

I think very similar thing was happening to you, you vere running the entire thing from an isolation transformer and your variac, your capacitors and wiring were elevating it's potential over the control logic until ultimately blowing the GDT.

The small arcs from capacitive coupling don't seem to have enough energy to do any harm to onboard components, but they will break IGBT gate and carbonise the insulation just enough to start up a power arc from your bus capacitors.

I think that was a naturalistic outcome.

The simple solution to this could be just using a nonisolated power supply, or much better, using proper DC blocking caps from DC bus to ground, and ensure that it is always grounded.

Your new GDT may be better but you are still risking chances of blowing it up.

Regarding your second failure, I'm not yet sure what could it be... I hoope Steve will put some more enlightment on it.

PS. I just put two 680nF caps between DC bus and ground and arcing stopped.
I'm now pretty sure that this was what was blowing your GDT.

Steve Conner
Sat Jun 09 2007, 05:30PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That was a nice piece of detective work, Firkragg smile

I never thought of that failure mode myself, but I always used a small capacitor between the DC bus negative and the AC line ground that the driver board was grounded to. Also, when running off an isolation transformer, I went one step further and jumpered across the capacitor to short the negative rail solidly to ground.

I never thought it through, it just seemed to be a sensible kind of thing to do.
Marko
Sat Jun 09 2007, 07:46PM
Meh, not so fast..

I still get arcing in that place when drawing arcs from toroid and hitting higher peak current.
I did a bunch of changes but I still can't help it... see my DRSSTC thread :(

Obligatory cool pic of arcing between bus and CT output:

1181418413 89 FT25519 Arcing

(Maybe I should write 'OWNED' with big black letters in the footer of this pic)
Danielle
Sat Jun 09 2007, 10:09PM
Danielle Registered Member #632 Joined: Mon Apr 09 2007, 01:09AM
I wounder the voltage across there if its low enough you could separate the traces also you should look into further decoupling of the gate that may help.

I may sound stupid saying this so please tell me. I am just giving sudustions because that has never happened to me.
Part Scavenger
Sun Jun 10 2007, 12:20AM
Firkragg, Dude! Another example of why I tell people you are brilliant. Your comment reminded me that disconnecting my o'scope probes made my heatsinks run cold instead of warm... Man, I had no idea what I was getting into with all this SSTC mess. I am TOTALLY not qualified, but it's REALLY addicting. tongue

Looking at your pics, the traces are nice and parallel. wink Sure you don't want to make a TEA laser instead? All joking aside, that totally stinks, and I hope you find an easy fix.

Shucks, I was enjoying being tired and beat up after spelunking under my house all day (air conditioner). Now I want to go down in the shop and get back to work!
Sun Jun 10 2007, 02:19AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
hehe, you know that you need to rethink your layout when you get UV laser beams shooting out of the bridge tongue

Could you just spray the board with a little polyurethane or something?
Marko
Sun Jun 10 2007, 09:39AM
Your comment reminded me that disconnecting my o'scope probes made my heatsinks run cold instead of warm...

Part scavenger scope probes are fine as long as you are using isolation transformer.

Your heatsinks shouldn't be getting hot at those power levels at all.

One thing I noticed, you aren't using silicone pads on IGBT's at all?
This would explain even more why your GDT blew.

And guys, please, go to my thread for suggestions, just not to jack' scavenger's. wink

Marko
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: