Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Homemade Ferrofluid

Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Thu Mar 02 2006, 04:10AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Mine's clear. That's all I've ever seen my mom buy.

About the filter paper, I wonder what that guy was using. I had similar problems (although I didn't have any "filter paper") but he says it "flowed right through." I hope to try all this stuff out on friday. I will by Sunday or it's gonna kill me.
Omicron
Fri Mar 03 2006, 02:05AM
Omicron Registered Member #131 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 09:25PM
$40 CND that’s about $50 USD and for a gal that’s cheap, United Nuclear wants $15 for 30 ml. Where did you get yours? What was the quality like?
Michael W.
Fri Mar 03 2006, 02:40AM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
I do believe there talking about oleic acid, not ferrofluid....
Chris
Fri Mar 03 2006, 08:28PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
Has anyone tried forming magnetite from the FeCl2/FeCl3 solution with sodium hydroxide? It should work with any base, and a faster reaction with stronger solution should yield smaller (better) particles. The ammonia is not important until it comes time to coat the magnetite with oleic acid, so forming the magnetite first with sodium hydroxide and then adding ammonia should be a far better method.
Part Scavenger
Sun Mar 05 2006, 01:55AM
Cool. I'll try that. I didn't get a chance to work on anything today or yesterday. But Sunday I have time. Yeah! I'll see what that does. I have noticed that the olive oil/HCL combo I left sitting on my desk the last several days has changed. The "big yellow layer" has almost completely turned into the "little layer above the yellow" I guess this is what Bored Chemist meant by "It would take forever." My chem friend also pointed out that too much HCl could mess up the resulting oleic acid if done this way, so I'll just pitch the stuff sitting on my desk and go for BC's method.
Carbon_Rod
Sun Mar 05 2006, 03:05AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Suspension of material in water needs a surfactant no matter what:
2FeCl3 + FeCl2 + 8NH3 + 4H2O -> Fe3O4 + 8NH4CL

Oleic acid C17H33COOH is somewhat easily confused with linoleic acid C17H31COOH. However, tetramethylammonium hydroxide N(CH3)4OH is known to work well as a surfactant for this process. IIRC it is pretty toxic so look at the MSDS.

Have fun,
Chris
Sun Mar 05 2006, 03:54AM
Suspension of material in water needs a surfactant no matter what:
2FeCl3 + FeCl2 + 8NH3 + 4H2O -> Fe3O4 + 8NH4CL

What do you mean here? That reaction doesn't have anything to do with the surfactant, which is oleic acid.

Anyway, the Fe3O4 can be added from any source to the surfactant, which uses ammonia to break it down and bond it to the magnetite. I quote from Andrew's website:
THE OLEIC ACID REACTS WITH THE AMMONIA TO FORM AMMONIUM OLEATE, A SLIGHTLY SOLUBLE SOAP. THE HEAT CAUSES THE AMMONIUM OLEATE TO BREAK DOWN, AND THE OLEATE ION ENTERS SOLUTION WHILE THE AMMONIA ESCAPES AS A GAS. THE OLEATE ION ATTACHES TO A MAGNETITE PARTICLE, AND IS RECONVERTED TO OLEIC ACID.

I simply propose the magnetite be formed first using this reaction below, since no one seems to be able to get the reaction above to work at all, and they get poor results when it does (probably because a fast reaction will form smaller particles before larger crystals can form, which is necessary to get spiking, and household ammonia is only 5%-10% NH4OH, plus other additives).

2FeCl3 + FeCl2 + 8NaOH => Fe3O4 + 8NaCl + 4H2O

Once the magnetite is formed here, ammonia and oleic acid would be added in to coat the particles as described above.

It's a rather common idea that "homemade ferrofluid will not spike" or "homemade ferrofluid is not as good as 'real' ferrofluid" but is there some real reason for this? If people who have been attempting to make it at home are getting poor results, obviously we have been doing it wrong. Surely there is nothing magical about making "real" ferrofluid and it's a process that can be replicated. Trying to get the magnetite to precipitate out quickly and uniformly with a small particle size is the first step in trying to produce a quality fluid - commercial ferrofluids are actually available with a variety of particle sizes, where all the home attempts so far seem to have trouble even getting particles to precipitate, much less out of a clear solution.

It might we worth looking into other carrier solvents as well, with different viscosities and surface tension than kerosene. Also has anyone started with anhydrous or a better grade of FeCl3? The PCB etchant you buy could contain additives that interfere. Steel wool is a rather dirty source of iron for the FeCl2 as well, how about washed scrap iron turnings (yes probably a little slow to react) or pure iron powder?

I think I will try the NaOH magnetite sythesis when I go home next weekend for spring break if no one else has tried it by then, just to see how well it works (but I won't be able to get any farther than that because I don't have any oleic acid now neutral ).
Part Scavenger
Sun Mar 05 2006, 06:06PM
Here's another useful link I found:

Link2
Chris
Sun Mar 05 2006, 06:36PM
Cool. smile That's an aqueous based ferrofluid rather than a non-polar solvent, but the idea remains similar. Look at it spike beautifully too! Again the Fe3O4 synthesis itself should work with about any hydroxide, but I see an acidic solution must be what everyone has been missing, and why iron hydroxide was formed. But, umm, what keeps a side reaction between ammonia and HCl from occurring? They can react to form NH4Cl if it doesn't react with the iron chlorides first.
Carbon_Rod
Mon Mar 06 2006, 01:14AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Chris, I think you know what I meant. ;op

Here is some low yield crud holding a magnet showing creep. I would say about 2/3 of the probable yield was lost because it was made a little differently.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: