All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

toroid construction

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Tue May 15 2007, 08:52PM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Firkragg, good point. the commercial 2-part polyurethane foams for shipping/insulation seem to expand and cure in a sealed package just fine... the problem I had was with DAP foam and Great Stuff brands...I thought they were the same stuff, but I was told by someone at the time they weren't.

-Doug
Tetrafluoroethane
Wed May 16 2007, 12:31PM
Tetrafluoroethane Registered Member #127 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 03:36PM
I also have had great success with the stacked & carved foam. I even had the home improvement store I bought it from cut it for me (24" sqares). For the stacking I used spray adhesive, but anything that won't eat the foam should work. Shaping was done by hand with a wood rasp and sandpaper. I just used Al tape on mine, but it works very well. I never had a problem with heating, but then I never tried to run my coil on over 900 watts. Though I have run it continuously for extended periods though (about 30 min).
Kristian
Fri May 18 2007, 08:47AM
Kristian Registered Member #611 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 11:40PM
Hi all, I took a break from the topload construction for a while. I've been going down to the Geek Group headquarters for the past few weekends and getting some help and advice on other aspects of my project. Their willingness to help is amazing.

Anyway, I'm back at the topload creation. I'm about to attempt to cover the pool toy with paper mache. Parts Scavenger, that idea brought me back to when I was a kid and would cover balloons in paper mache. Once it hardened, you could pop the ballon and the paper mache would keep its form. The pool toy is a balloon. Perfect! (I hope)

I was thinking that once it is dry, I would put a few coats of poly on it to smooth it out a bit. It should be fairly durable. Then I'll cover it in al tape or foil.

Could any of you guys that have done the aluminum foil with success post more details on the process? I would like to have this done by noon on Saturday. I'm running out of time and I have so much to complete before the Tesla-thon June 2.
Reaching
Fri May 18 2007, 08:57AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
I use the aluminium duct that you get in your local store and fill it up with this 2 component cement you use for a car. then i smooth it all with sandpaper to get a clean surface. an then i tape the alu on it.

this works fine but you need much time to get it right

Link2
Part Scavenger
Fri May 18 2007, 12:21PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I'm on my break @ work right now... I'll see what I can dig up when I get home, but it's pretty much the same as I did with the bottle caps on my site. Only, I cut the Al foil (just regular kitchen foil) into 1" strips, sprayed it with contact cement (shiny side out), let it get tacky, and applied. You want to attach the foil right in the middle of the foil and on the outer rim of the toroid. This makes sure the strips overlap correctly. I overlap about 1/4 on the rim, but by the time it makes it to the center, it's almost 3/4. Smooth down with your fingers, then roll with the wallpaper roller or a spoon or something. Careful with the spoon, it tends to tear the foil. Then get a piece of cardboard or something, cut it round, cover it with foil, and glue it in the top to cover up all the ends...

I think I've got some pics when I get home.
Cain
Thu May 24 2007, 02:19PM
Cain Registered Member #624 Joined: Tue Apr 03 2007, 07:50AM
I'm currently making a toroid out of 6 inch ducting that i have covered in the expanding foam and am now carving it down.. i am thinking about trying to turn it... its in the early stages at the moment, but here she is:

Ken M.
Fri May 25 2007, 12:50AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Mmmmmm Looks like a giant glazed donut! Looks pretty for early stages, is it working out, as in easy to craft, light weight?
Cain
Fri May 25 2007, 04:28PM
Cain Registered Member #624 Joined: Tue Apr 03 2007, 07:50AM
yeah very light weight...

and you can use the cheap light weight ducting...

but i used 2 cans of foam on her so far and still have a few small gaps.. but i think i will use an epoxy filler to patch..

as for sculpting..

i have used a long bladed knife so far with great ease, although getting it nice and round will be the challenge, smooth will be easy but nice and even wont be..

i am thinking i might try using an electric plane on her while i rotate it in a lathe ( you could use a drill in a vice i suppose)
Part Scavenger
Fri May 25 2007, 11:21PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Tip: A coarse wood rasp works great for shaping foam toroids on the lathe.
Kristian
Sat Jun 16 2007, 04:50PM
Kristian Registered Member #611 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 11:40PM
The pool toy I was trying to wrap didn't work out. The plastic expanded over time and pulled the paper mache off. I have since decided to go with a stacked toroid design. I finally wound the secondary. I picked up what was supposed to be 1500 feet of 26 gauge. What came in the mail was only 1lb. I came up a little short. I was hoping to get 22.5 inches of winding on a 4.5 inch form. I only got 19.75 inches of winding. The form itself is 36 inches long, and needs to be cut down to size yet.

The power is 15KV, 60mA NST. The capacitor is 20KV, .015uf. The primary is 15 turns of .25 inch copper tube with .25 spacing in between turns and 1.5 inch spacing between primary and secondary. I need help with the toroid dimensions. My idea for the top load is to wrap 4 inch aluminum duct around the bottom of a flower pot and 6 inch duct around the top. This will give me two stacked toroids. The dimensions are 4" minor, 15.25" major for the bottom toroid and 6"minor, 22.25" major for the top. There is 7.5" in between the center hights. Does this sound about right, size wise?

I was also wondering if anyone had any advise for how high up from the top of the secondary winding I should place this? I will be able to adjust it up to 2 inches up or down on the bolt that it will mount to. Would 2 inches from the top turn to the bottom of the toroid, with the option of going up or down 1 inch, work? Does this give me enough room to play with? Any advice on this would be great help.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: