All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

toroid construction

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Kristian
Sat May 12 2007, 07:13AM Print
Kristian Registered Member #611 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 11:40PM
I ve seen some really nice toroids in photos here and I need some advice.

My first attempt was 6" diameter aluminum flexi vent around a 18" diameter 1/2" thick plywood disk I covered in aluminum tape. I bent the duct all to shit trying to get it around the disk. I was going to screw the duct to the disk but it didn't work out, so I epoxied it. It ended up a crooked, dented mess.
6"
6" pic two

Attempt # two;
My wife bought a couple of inflatable pool toy tubes for the kids to float around in our pond on. I saw them and grabbed my tape measure. 7.5" x 26.5". I confiscated one and tried wrapping it in foil tape. I have only put four pieces of tape on it so far and I can already see where this is headed. I knew the flat tape wouldn't conform to the curved surface vary well, but I thought I would give it a try.
7.5"

I know either of these will work, but after the time and money I have put into this, I would rather not use something that looks like dented, wrinkly, thrown together bullsh*t.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for making a toroid on a budget that doesn't look like crap?
Tom540
Sat May 12 2007, 07:24AM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
What you can do is put a layer of a diffrent kind of tape underneath the foil layer. Or get some Bondo body filler and lay some of that down first. Sand it all smooth and then foil it up.

-Tom
Sulaiman
Sat May 12 2007, 11:45AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
This worked well for me, very quick and easy (fourth post down)
Link2

Cain
Sat May 12 2007, 12:42PM
Cain Registered Member #624 Joined: Tue Apr 03 2007, 07:50AM
you could also cut the tape into thinner width that should reduce the wrinkles... but it also look like the toy itself has wrinkles in it
Jrz126
Sat May 12 2007, 02:53PM
Jrz126 Registered Member #242 Joined: Thu Feb 23 2006, 11:37PM
Using the pool toy doesnt look too bad, what happens if the toy gets a hole in it though?

I built my toroids using some plywood and the black drain pipe stuff. Link2
I first tied the pipe to the plywood because it was a pain in the butt to hold it there. Once I had it secured, I ran some screws into it. Then removed the string. I covered it with masking tape to smooth it out a bit. Then I glued some aluminum foil to it with a hot glue gun.
Link2
you can see the finished product here
Link2

Its not super smooth, but it works. and its pretty durable too.
Marko
Sat May 12 2007, 07:49PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
You guys who use tires and pool toys... how would it be if you filled them with some kind of expanding foam, and then put some foil over?

That way it surely won't deflate, and you could even remove the PVC and have solid foam toroid former.
Tom540
Sat May 12 2007, 09:45PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Jrz,

Thats an interesting speaker box you have hanging in your garage.
GreySoul
Sun May 13 2007, 04:50AM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Firkragg .... "great Stuff" and Dap expanding insulation foam requires air and water to cure properly... I learned this trying to fill latex gloves with foam. All you get is a mushy mess.

Personally, my idea was to stack up some blue insulation foam from home Depot and cut and sand it down to size. it's really not hard to work with, and sands well with coarse steel wool, lathe, cheese graters, etc.

To get really fancy you could set up a turn table with a motor and turn the toroid out of the foam with a hot wire and some coarse sandpaper.

The main problem I see with foam of any sort however is that when it gets hot it can emit some pretty noxious fumes.

-Doug

Part Scavenger
Tue May 15 2007, 05:11PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
I made a toroid awhile back out of laminated styrofoam. It was glued together with contact cement, and "turned" with a drill and a wood rasp. That would have been really smooth, but I decided to cover it in paper mache, and sand it. Then I covered it with aluminum foil. Looks really nice. New coil I've been working on BTW...

Another faster thing you can do to smooth out the aluminum duct is to cover it in masking tape before adding aluminum foil. I've got pictures of that process in the "articles" or section of my website. Look at "toploads" IIRC. That turned out ok as far as asthetics. I resorted to that after dropping it and attempting to pop it back out. I could have done a better job, but it got all of the dents out.
1179249094 79 FT25142 100 6420
Marko
Tue May 15 2007, 08:14PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I used to have some 2-component expanding insulating foam wich would do the jub really well.. so I guess it's all about the choice of foam.

Regarding heating, I don't think it can be so bad with pulsed coils... if styrofoam works I guess other things are safe too!

Regarding aluminium duct, I think it's smooth enough itself.. I would never bother to do doble job by taping it and it seems to work rather well as is!
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: