Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC oscillating but no breakout

Move Thread LAN_403
MrSnrub
Tue May 08 2007, 12:18PM Print
MrSnrub Registered Member #688 Joined: Mon May 07 2007, 11:39AM
Hello all,

I recently built my first SSTC (not my first coil though, I built a spark gap one a few years ago), but have run into some problems along the way.

The circuit is almost identical to Steve Ward's Mini SSTC, except that I am using IRFP460s in the half-bridge and MAX4420/MAX4429 for the MOSFET drivers. The GDT is 16 turns of 22AWG magnet wire trifilar wound, the secondary is 4" x 10" of 28AWG, and I'm using a four-turn primary. No toroid, just a pointy self-tapping screw about an inch long as a breakout point.

The coil looks like it's oscillating: when i run the bridge off 30VAC via a variac and using a scope probe dangled next to the coil, I see a flat trace which changes to a sine wave at a few hundred kHz when I touch the antenna with a screwdriver to kick-start it (and it stays that way after I take the screwdriver away). So it looks like the GDT phasing is correct, but I'm getting no breakout.

Should probably also say that the front end all looks OK, I'm getting nice square waveforms out of the 74HC14 and at the driver chip outputs. I've got no isolation transformer, so I don't think I'm able to check the gate drive.

Should I expect breakout at this voltage? I'm tempted to crank up the variac a bit, but I thought I'd check to see if I'm missing anything obvious.

Thanks,

Stacy.
Tom540
Tue May 08 2007, 04:48PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Hmm, Half bridge with 30 volts ac. I wouldn't expect any breakout. Have you tried arcing it to ground? I didn't get breakout on my latest coil until about 30Vdc on a full bridge. So you only have half that one a half bridge. You should be able to get very small arcs to a screw driver or ground. Just try brining the voltage up a tad.
Steve Ward
Tue May 08 2007, 06:08PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
You do have a sharp point to allow for breakout, yes? It should extend about an inch off the surface of your topload. Also, SSTCs have more "difficulty" when operating with large toploads, so dont make it too big.

As long as its oscillating at the frequency you expected, it sounds like its safe to turn up the input voltage. If the feedback is the wrong phase, then you will oscillate at a very high frequency (usually 1MHz +). Make sure thats not the problem (but i think you would have noticed).
MrSnrub
Wed May 09 2007, 12:00PM
MrSnrub Registered Member #688 Joined: Mon May 07 2007, 11:39AM
Thanks for the advice. I tried drawing some arcs off the breakout point with 30VAC in to the bridge, and I did get some tiny arcs. So then I turned the variac up to 80VAC, where some corona started to form and I could draw arcs about an inch long.

Unfortunately, that's when the variac suddenly started humming like mad, and one of the bridge filter caps let out the magic smoke frown

So back to square one for now... it seems like a strange failure mode though, as the caps were rated at 400VDC at 100uF (I was using four of them in parallel).
ragnar
Wed May 09 2007, 01:33PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Bridge filter caps let out magic smoke?

Did you have a filter cap in backwards, which would have been sucking all your current, and effectively minimising the voltage your MOSFETs could switch?
Sulaiman
Wed May 09 2007, 06:19PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Sounds like your coil MAY be operating at an unexpectedly high frequency
(due to reverse-polarity feedback as mentioned by Steve)
that would cause a large high frequency current in the bypass capacitor which could be the cause of failure
Try reversing the feedback polarity (carefully)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: