Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitor undervoltage?

Move Thread LAN_403
noobletmonger
Sun May 06 2007, 02:27AM Print
noobletmonger Registered Member #683 Joined: Sun May 06 2007, 02:00AM
First off, this site is awesome! I have been browsing around here for a while and decided that I would like to make my own coil gun. I have done some research and I have a couple of questions.

I am thinking about purchasing some 360v 200uF photo flash capacitors for use in my first coil gun. I already have a power supply unit (from a camera) that charges a 330v 120uF capacitor just fine. My question is will using the power supply unit I have on the higher voltage capacitors cause any damage (to them or the power supply, forget me cheesey )? My guess is no, but I want to make absolutely sure because I have never built a coil gun before. Also, if I decide to use multiple capacitors, I should connect them in parallel, correct?

Thanks for your help! smile
Barry
Sun May 06 2007, 03:26AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Welcome to coilgunning. cheesey

I would expect that your HV power supply will work just fine to charge up the additional capacitance. It will charge up more slowly, of course, but it should work fine.

Connect the capacitors in parallel, and the total capacitance is simply the sum of the individual capacities. Just be sure to observe correct polarity (join all the +'s together). For more background on what happens when you connect capacitors together, read Multiple Capacitors on my web site, or Capacitor Banks in the HV Wiki.

Cheers, Barry
I used to have a handle on life but it broke off.
noobletmonger
Sun May 06 2007, 04:07AM
Thanks for confirming that with me. After I posted that I looked up "series and parallel circuits" on wikipedia and figured it out. angry Here's a few more questions since I don't think it would be necessary to start a new thread:

To handle the back-EMF should I use a few 1N4007 diodes connected in series antiparallel to the capacitors? (I hope I used the right wording)
Do I even need to worry about back-EMF?
How do I figure out how many joules, volts, and amps my capacitor bank will have?
What type of mechanical switch should I use to discharge the capacitors?

Hopefully when this is complete it will fit inside an altoids tin. Probably not, but it would be cool! cheesey
Simon
Sun May 06 2007, 11:57PM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Please do a whole lot more research before playing with those caps. They aren't that dangerous but only if you understand them.

Our own wiki is a good start. See
Coilguns and Capacitors.

noobletmonger
Mon May 07 2007, 09:37PM
Indeed. I have already read those articles and I am well aware of the dangers involved. "Playing" might be the word to use for someone who is not careful and does not take this seriously. That is not me.

I had once made a large Leyden jar out of a plastic "barrel" used to hold dog treats. It was about 1.5 feet tall with a diameter of 1 foot. This was last winter so the air was very dry and I would charge it up using my rubber-soled slippers. I had left it partly charged overnight and in the morning, not realizing it was still charged, I picked it up a gained a new respect for electricity. angry Fully charged, the spark is about 1-2 inches long and can burn a small pinprick through a piece of paper.

Just a little story for you guys! cheesey
Simon
Tue May 08 2007, 12:31AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
A healthy respect for electricity is definitely healthy. The main thing you need is background reading.

If you read enough articles, look at other coilguns and tinker with simulators you should be able to answer your questions, especially this one:

wrote ...

How do I figure out how many joules, volts, and amps my capacitor bank will have?

Not to discourage you at all; get reading!

wrote ...

To handle the back-EMF should I use a few 1N4007 diodes connected in series antiparallel to the capacitors? (I hope I used the right wording)
For a small first capacitor this can't hurt. Many people add a small resistor in series with the diode. There have been lots of experiments with various ways to deal with back-EMF (including ways to recapture the energy) so this is an open question.
noobletmonger
Tue May 08 2007, 02:28AM
Thanks, I will definitely take your advice and get reading. smile

On a side note, all of the necessary parts will fit inside of an altoids tin. Maybe I will start a thread on it when I am done to get advice on improvements. Just waiting for all the parts to come in the mail!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: