Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Magnetic Munition

Move Thread LAN_403
dingo27
Sat Jul 14 2007, 05:14PM
dingo27 Registered Member #890 Joined: Tue Jul 10 2007, 10:06PM
I was also thinking about this, but never had tube to test it. I have a magnet from Bicycle Computer (tachometer), which is perfectly round, and I also have bigger magnet from some russian speaker, which is little weakess than smaller one. I can place foto if you want, it is about 5 and 13mm diameter. But how the hell you want to be sure it´ll be in right direction, when you fire?
And... these magnets are made of something silver, maybe neodymium...
Myke
Sat Jul 14 2007, 06:58PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
You could use a compass to see what direction it is facing in and I'm 99% sure that the magnet is a rare earth super neodymium magnet.
Firnagzen
Sun Jul 15 2007, 03:57AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
If you want to use neodymium magnets, I think you could coat it with some epoxy resin, to absorb part of the force and keep the shards from flying everywhere. The magnet will probably break regardless, but at least there won't be shrapnel.
Sun Jul 15 2007, 05:05AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Using a magnet for a small coil might help, but for anything that would have an output worth building the fields produced by the coil will be orders of magnitude greater than that of the magnet, and actually can end up remagnetizing it.
Dr. Shark
Mon Jul 16 2007, 10:40AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
I don't think so. A well-designed coilgun should avoid saturating the projectile, and even a not-so-well designd one shouln't saturate the projectile by orders of magnitude!

A nice side-effect of this permanent magnet coilgun would be that fact that you could "push" projectiles instead of "sucking" them, therefore avoiding the pulse-shaping trial and error to avoid suck-back.

Regarding the magnets: For gods sake, just look at any of the Wondermagnets-whatever web shops or even on eBay. There are lots of places selling cylindrical magnets, even I have 10s flying around even though it never occured to me they could be used for a coilgun.
Marko
Mon Jul 16 2007, 05:14PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
A nice side-effect of this permanent magnet coilgun would be that fact that you could "push" projectiles

Joe, you can ''push'' normal soft iron very well.

Once it is magnetized by coil's field, it will not be much different from magnet. Maximum flux density (2,2T) is also close to what neo magnet achieves.

In a multistage design, each coil is to be situated with opposite polarity than last one, so it uses the current magnetization of the projectile to accelerate and reverses it in process.
Next coil does the same but vice-versa. Not much different from a transformer or motor operation.

Ideally you could use unlimited number of stages as long as you assure each coil gives equal volt-seconds to the projectile (which is difficult) to assure that projectile doesn't walk into saturation.
Only problem is that with such a small max flux density, energy that can be transferred to the projectile in each stage is very low.

This was my understanding at least, and I think magnet would not do much except introduce large remanence losses. What I considered ideal reluctance projectile is soft material with highest possible saturation B.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: