Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The molecular force of water expansion

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Mon Apr 30 2007, 02:40AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
Water expands when it freezes. If I am correct, I think it has maximum expansion at 4 C. Anyway, does anyone know how much force freezing water generates? If I filled a strong cylinder with water, placed a force gauge at the top and began to freeze the liquid, how much force can it exert?
ragnar
Mon Apr 30 2007, 03:48AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Freezing water can exert an unbelievable amount of force on any vessel it is contained in. You've probably shattered a glass vessel by absent-mindedly putting it in the freezer at some point.

Filling a hollow metal vessel with water and dropping it into liquid nitrogen... 'tis like a bomb going off.
Bored Chemist
Mon Apr 30 2007, 05:48AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
"'tis like a bomb going off."
Where does the stored energy come from?
Bjørn
Mon Apr 30 2007, 05:54AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
You get minimum expansion (maximum density) at 4 deg C. I have seen someone running a small car on freezing water that compressed oil to very high pressures. If you google phase diagrams for water you will find some details, for example the freezing point changes when the pressure increases.

IamSmooth
Mon Apr 30 2007, 01:23PM
The question is, however, does anyone actually know the force it can exert? There has to be a limit.
Dr. Shark
Mon Apr 30 2007, 02:18PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
The number depends on the ambient temperature. Link2 shows that within certain limits you can sqeeze ice into water, and that ice can take denser structures that the normal modification.

To find the exact pressure you can generate at a fixed temperature would probably require a constant volume P-T diagram which a quick google search does not turn up. Maybe bored chemist knows more?
IamSmooth
Mon Apr 30 2007, 04:32PM
According to the graph 2 kbar should revert ice to water until -20C. This is about 2000 atmospheres which is quite a force. Still, someone must have done a constant volume/pressure curve for water as the temperature is dropped below freezing.
Swany
Fri Jun 01 2007, 05:36PM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
There is a limit, if you look at a phase diagram containing various forms of ice, ice I (the sort we know, ~0.92g/cc) is the least prevelent. In General Chemistry by Pauling, there is such a diagram and it shows about 9 types of solid water, ice I is the only with a density of <1g/cc. This thread is long dead, but under varying amounts of pressure and temp, other ice forms will prevail and there will be no exerted force.
Bored Chemist
Sat Jun 02 2007, 03:50PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I on't have the data to hand but I remeber seeing an article in a journal using this as a means to generate gigh pressures with no real moving parts (except the water) 2 vessels made of thick stainless stell conected together and filled with water. Freeze the water in one and the expanding ice forces water out of the cooled vessel into the other one raisind the pressure. The authors pointed out that if you got the cooled vessel cold enough the ice contracted (and/or changed phase) so there was a limit to how high a pressure you could achieve; they counted this as an advantage on safety grounds. IIRC dry ice was cold enough to do the job
Shaun
Thu Jun 21 2007, 04:37AM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
This how ice skates work, by pressing ice into a thin layer of water, but i'm sure I can't possibly be the only one to know that.

I once heard of a case where burglars stole all the money from an outdoor ATM by filling it with water thru its various slots on a cold night via a small van-mounted pump. The water began to cool, expanded, and broke various bolts and welds holding the device together. They either pried it open or it fell apart, and they were able to get their [soaking wet] cash out.

I don't know if this is true or not; and i would think they would have to seal a lot of leaks as i'm sure those things arent watertight.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: