Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

EMI filter?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
CT2
Mon Apr 30 2007, 07:31PM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
To connect it, it goes like this: There are three connections in and three connections out. There will be two for the 110VAC in (neutral and live) and then one for ground. On the other side there will be two for 110VAC out (live and neutral) and a ground connection. It just goes in series with the power to your coil.
1177961502 180 FT24564 Emi
Firnagzen
Tue May 01 2007, 04:11AM
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
But, direct quote from HVWiki http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Solid_State_Tesla_Coil (All the way to the bottom.) :
RF ground
...is directed just like any other tesla coil. Directly to mother earth or through an EMI filter to the power line's ground.

My understanding from this is that there is some way of using the EMI filter and the mains ground to totally eliminate the need for an RF ground at all. Is my understanding right, or does the wiki need a fix? And if my understanding is right, how?
CT2
Tue May 01 2007, 04:31AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
The EMI filter's ground is just the same ground as your house ground. This is because you hook up the ground to the green wire (ground) of your house wiring. The filter is suposed to stop interference from getting through it and into/out of what ever you have it hooked up to. You can hook a tesla coils secondary RF ground to your house's ground, or through a filter to the houses ground, doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure the filter only filters the line voltage and not the ground wire. But some people recommend against hooking up your tesla coils RF ground to your house' ground, I personally havent had any problems with doing that but my coils are small...
ragnar
Tue May 01 2007, 05:03AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Grounding the secondary to mains ground can be dangerous for a number of reasons:

If the ground isn't as low-impedance as it should be (reactive or just resistive), then devices connected to ground can float to high voltages.

Mains ground wires aren't made for carrying high-frequency RF currents. They'll get hot, and you can set the insulation on fire deep inside your walls. Maybe you can get away with it for small coils... but there's no guarantee. That's why I use a copper sheet as a floating counterpoise.
Tue May 01 2007, 05:19AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I should also point out that in that schematic of a line filter the grounds are drawn a little funny, all of the grounds must be connected together (not floating between a few caps) or you run a rick of a 'hot' chassis.
Firnagzen
Tue May 01 2007, 05:37AM
Dang, and I was hoping that using a EMI filter would solve all the problems associated with grounding a tesla coil to a mains ground. Oh, well...

One last thing, though, what's a floating counterpoise? (Blackplasma mentioned this in his post.)
Tue May 01 2007, 01:36PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
A counterpoise is just a large sheet of metal (preferably copper/aluminum) that you use as the ground. Because there is only an AC current, and it is at a very high frequency, the counterpoise acts like a capacitor in series with ground, and likewise the coil thinks it is grounded :)
Firnagzen
Wed May 02 2007, 09:54AM
Oh, I see. But I live in a high rise flat (Well, third floor, but you get the idea.), will a counterpoise still work? It'd be relative to the third floor, well, floor!
uzzors2k
Wed May 02 2007, 10:15AM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Yepp. The counterpoise acts as a ground, so you don't need a real earth ground. It doesn't matter where you are.
Dr. Shark
Wed May 02 2007, 12:26PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Whoa, this is getting confusing! The original question was about grounding the SECONDARY coil, the later post all address the PRIMARY side of the Tesla coil.

The filter from the first schematic is not "funny" but rather common practice with Class II devices like laptop PSUs which have two-prong plugs and no physical ground connection. They derive their ground through the so-called Y-capacitors from the AC mains. The point of this practice is exactly what we are trying to achieve here: Keeping noise out of the mains ground.

I don't know if connecting a Tesla Coil there would be a major safety hazard, so I'd like to hear a qualified comment on this.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: