Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

EMI filter?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Firnagzen
Sun Apr 29 2007, 05:35AM Print
Firnagzen Registered Member #567 Joined: Tue Mar 06 2007, 10:55AM
I was looking through the HvWiki earlier, and came across something at the bottom of the Solid state tesla coil page. It says that the secondary side grounding can be achieved through a EMI filter to the mains grounding.

Thing is, I've never heard of an EMI filter, and searching "EMI filter" on google just gives me a lot of websites and companies selling the things. Could someone elucidate me on this subject, or direct me to a site which would be helpful?

Thanks.

Ps. What kind of ratings would be needed for a EMI filter for a tesla, anyway?
Sun Apr 29 2007, 05:44AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
We usually rip them out of old junk, or buy them (since they are dirt cheap). I like the ones out of computer power supplies, as they provide a nice looking power connector for the project, and give you filtering smile

They are just a few caps/inductors, I don't think their values are too critical.
Firnagzen
Sun Apr 29 2007, 05:53AM
Um, but what does the filter do? And can I use one for a tesla coil? Would special ratings be required?

Thanks.

Ps. Hmm, I've got an unused computer power supply knocking around. How to identify the filter section?
Ken M.
Sun Apr 29 2007, 06:16AM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
From what I've gathered is, they are used to prevent feedback from the coil to the ac lines that might harm sensitive electronics, the ones from PC PSU's are right where the 3 prong plug is at.
Firnagzen
Sun Apr 29 2007, 06:39AM
Hm.

I've just had a look at that PSU, and what I've found is this: On the 3 prong plug, I found what (appears to be) a resistor connected across the two prongs and a 2.4uF 250V capacitor.

I'm somewhat doubtful that any of these is/are an EMI filter, and I've had a look at the circuit board, too. There's nothing which looks like an EMI filter. (I had a look at a site selling the things for some pictures. They all seem to be some weirdly shaped enclosed modules, right?)

So it seems like I'll have to buy one, any tips as to how to pick an EMI filter for grounding the secondary? (ratings, etc?)

Thanks.

1177828761 567 FT24564 Dsc00324
cjk2
Sun Apr 29 2007, 06:14PM
cjk2 Registered Member #51 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:17AM
What you have above is actually just the first stage of an EMI filter. A typical filter used in a SMPS will be a CLCL circuit or a CLC circuit. What you have above is the first C in a CLCL circuit. If you look at the board that was in that PSU case, you will find at least 1 more inductor(2 windings on a powered iron core) and a high grade capacitor.

Heres what a CLC circuit typically looks like.

Firnagzen
Mon Apr 30 2007, 09:55AM
Dang. And I clipped the wires to get the picture. Looks like I'll find another one. Thanks for the help, though!

On a slightly different note, how do I apply one to a tesla coil, anyway? As I understand it, the filter goes between the coil secondary's ground wire, and straight to mains ground. But that's two wires accounted for. There are five in the above schematic!

By the way... kpF? Kilo pico farads?
uzzors2k
Mon Apr 30 2007, 02:07PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
The other 4 wires are AC input and output. Line/Neutral in and Line/Neutral out. kpF <= roflol, yeah I think he means 3nF.
Dr. Shark
Mon Apr 30 2007, 02:42PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
That would leave him with the secondary ground directly connected to mains ground and the filter not connected at all. Seriously, I also don't get how this would be connected but I _guess_ the secondary would not be connected to ground at all but to the power rails via the two 3nF capacitors. This way any interference would have to go through the choke.
IamSmooth
Mon Apr 30 2007, 06:15PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I connected one for my coil. The EMI filters have amp ratings so make sure it can handle the current you plan to draw through your transformer.

I have my transformer ground connected to a rod in the ground. The input of the EMI is connected to the hot/neutral and ground. The output of the EMI is connected to the input to the transformer.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: