Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/30 BlakFyre (36)
04/30 SENTRY (31)
05/01 Shaun (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Caps for MMC

Move Thread LAN_403
Eartaker
Mon Apr 23 2007, 03:45AM Print
Eartaker Registered Member #150 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:43AM
Would these be ok for an MMC, this is my first MMC. Link2
GreySoul
Mon Apr 23 2007, 04:01AM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
I still don't know why but I was advised against snubber caps for MMC design in favor of the CDE 942C20P15K caps of fame and legend.

Digikey and Rell can usually get some if you're patient...it took me about 40 days to get mine.

Anyone know why snubbers aren't good for MMCs, or was I told wrong?
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 23 2007, 04:19AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I still don't know why but I was advised against snubber caps for MMC design in favor of the CDE 942C20P15K caps of fame and legend.

Those ARE snubber caps (snicker).

Its possible the person who advised against them didnt know what they were actually talking about, or they were thinking about the snubber caps often found in SCR circuits (typically paper dielectric, oil filled). Perhaps it just depends on what area of power electronics you are into, but when i think snubber, i think of low inductance, low loss PP film caps (or ceramics too). Anyway, an ideal snubber cap is an ideal tesla coil cap, and vice-versa (low inductance, low dielectric loss, and low ESR... basically an ideal capacitor).

As to the Illinois Capacitor, it *should* work, but you better watch the peak current rating, particularly because these are "metalized" and not "foil" and film caps.

If you can supply some specs on your coil (charging voltage, resonant frequency and primary inductance) then i can show you how to calculate the peak primary current, and the suitability of these capacitors.
Eartaker
Mon Apr 23 2007, 04:40AM
Eartaker Registered Member #150 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:43AM
Hmm with the 942C20P15K I will need 70 caps. I want to build a 3" coil powered by a 15kv 50ma NST (well actually a 20ma and a 30ma both 15kv ran in parallel making 50 ma)
Terry Fritz
Mon Apr 23 2007, 04:47AM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

"Snubber caps" are often made to order with specific terminals to go across specific big IGBTs... Thus, "EXPENSIVE"!! But all kinds of non-super specified snubber caps are around. If the price is right and the peak and RMS current is right. No problem! cheesey

Many cap manufactures now wildly state "peak" and "RMS currents". Those that "don't" should be avoided since their caps probably suck... Beware that some "lie" too tongue

CD typically "understates" their caps in my experience. The "geek style" caps have actually gotten far better over the last 5 years... I really like CD caps and I am willing to pay more for them when needed.

Cheers,

Terry
Steve Ward
Mon Apr 23 2007, 05:29AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Forgot to mention, in the Illinois cap DS, it gives a dv/dt in v/uS. Current (I) = C*dv/dt, so you can use the dv/dt rating, multiply by the capacitance (in uF) and get the current rating. I think the .22uF 1600V cap was a 1700v/us rating, so thats 374Apk (which i will admit, im *slightly* skeptical of). But if there is truth to it, then id guess 2 parallel strings of these caps would work well for the size of your NST (making some very general assumptions about your coil design).
GreySoul
Mon Apr 23 2007, 02:15PM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Steve, that's why I'm here :) to get real advice instead of the local crackpot advice I can find here locally :)

When I built my MMC i was looking at some snubber caps that were little plastic boxes with 2 leads out the bottom.... they were .01 2kv from panasonic (I think) and was told to avoid them since they were metalized, and not foil. I think that the REAL point was "don't use THOSE snubber caps"

HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 23 2007, 03:08PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
The GE 42L series work great for SSTC including DRSSTC use, although they aren't forgiving as the 942C series for spark gap type coils.

gentoo_daemon
Wed Apr 25 2007, 04:27PM
gentoo_daemon Registered Member #512 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 05:42PM
One word of advice, when you order the famous 942C20P15K, make sure you get the -f version, 942C20P15K-f because these are ROHS compliant. The original version is no longer produced (thus your order will never arrive if you order from rell.com).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: