Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Colin 99 (53)

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Beginner building first TC. Requesting advice.

Move Thread LAN_403
Daniel Uhrenholt
Sun Feb 26 2006, 11:35AM
Daniel Uhrenholt Registered Member #125 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:52PM
The biggest problem with the dual MOT, is that the spark gap heats up quickly.
I have made a spark gap that works fantastic with 2 MOTs, I used copper bars on heatsinks as vasil mentioned.

Here is some pictures of it.

1140953456 125 FT2359 Sparkgap1

1140953456 125 FT2359 Sparkgap2
HV Enthusiast
Sun Feb 26 2006, 02:37PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Again, i think we need to remember that this guy is a beginner and will be building a first tesla coil. Making ballasts, complex spark gaps, etc... is not something i would make a beginner do.

My opinion is to forget the MOTs and go with a standard NST. Its much simpler, and safer as well.
Steve Conner
Sun Feb 26 2006, 03:38PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yea, but it's more expensive unless you've got the NST already. (Dave marshall was selling a bunch of NSTs over in Sale And Trade, though, there might be some left)

I vote for the simplicity of vasil's twin MOT design. He uses a ballast to stop the MOTs putting out such extreme levels of current and power. As another poster said, if you have more than two MOTs, you can use one or two of the extra ones as ballast.
Mike
Sun Feb 26 2006, 04:47PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
I strongly suggest you look over Link2 site. He has a nice MOT schematic for variable output, it uses 4 MOT caps , which im sure you have, but make sure they are the same values. Also in it he says its been wired for 120vac, but i think he made a mistake since the primaries are in series, for 120vac they are usually in parallel. Schem here Link2

Also as vasil pointed out, the saltwater caps have been proven to be very worthy of TC operation. As you can see from Greg's site.

As for the Spark Gap, you'll want a static sucker gap, probably a 3inch tee with an electrode on each end opposite eachother, and a vaccum motor attached to the top to extinguish the arc.

Also the toroid you can just use flex duct etc.
I think this would be a great TC for your first time, it would be easy, cheap, and give good output. And if anything gets broken from mistakes, it wont really matter since most of it was quite cheap to make or get.
JSpark311
Tue Feb 28 2006, 02:17AM
JSpark311 Registered Member #252 Joined: Sat Feb 25 2006, 07:21AM
Y'all have given me alot to read over. I will do this as I am waiting for parts. Thank you so much! I will post back when I have something cool to show the thread.

---Josh
Christian Coilist
Tue Feb 28 2006, 09:37PM
Christian Coilist Registered Member #269 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 05:35PM
I am kinda tight on cash, and don't have a lot to spend on this new (hopefully) hobby. I do believe that I am going to attempt to build one of the salt water capacitors mentioned by Vasil. Although I don't drink, I live in the engineering dorm which is not too far from frat row... can't imagine I'll have much trouble acquiring bottles. Just need to purchase glue, plastic wrap (to cover bottles while they are stored in my closet), aluminum foil, and aquire some motor oil! Even used oil I think would be okay. Should be fun.

EDIT: Removed irrelevant material.
EEYORE
Wed Mar 01 2006, 04:32AM
EEYORE Registered Member #99 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:10PM
I know ima get bit in the arse tongue ...Why not a SSTC?
Steves microsstc is so easy to get going...I got it working on my very first try...Its fun, and alot safer than a newbie "playing" with NST's and MOT's...Just a handful of parts, and your set.

Matt
Part Scavenger
Wed Mar 01 2006, 05:28AM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Well, there were already so many conflicting opinions, I thought I might go ahead and add my own. wink

If you're building a SGTC, especially for the first time. I would not recommend voltage doublers or any the like. I prefer NO silicon in my SGTC's. I have successfully used doublers, but if you ask me, they're not worth the trouble.

I don't see a problem with using bottle caps provided they are well made. I don't know why everyone hates them so much. I've only blown one, and my 30 or so bottles only varied +/- .1nF I'll admit that MMC's are better, but they're expensive.

To know their value, just get a capacitance meter, which if you're in this hobby for very long, you're going to buy anyway. A good cheap meter is this one. Link2 I love it and it's pretty accurate for 30 bucks (regular 40, on sale most of the time for 30, I've seen it for 20) It's on sale for 24 bucks right now. I highly recommend buying this thing.

The most frustrating time that I had with MOTs is the amount of current they produced. I simply could not get the spark gap to quench! At 4Kv, they will need alot of ballasting, not to say it won't work, I've seen more than one person do it.

If you do go the NST route, I found it disappointing and frustrating because I didn't know what I was doing and fried my NST. I was able to fix it, but it was never the same again. Here's how I killed it so maybe you won't do it: I didn't know about setting the spark gap and how it could affect my NST. When adjusting the SG on an NST based coil, ALWAYS start small and move the spark gap apart until performance peaks. I was doing the opposite, and so killed my (suspectedly fragile) NST. And personally, I don't worry about chokes on a one NST coil, but I would include a safety gap.

Make a neat setup. Think the positions of the components through, avoid crossing HV wires (I like to have a + and - side to my coils), and keep wires short.

Download WinTesla and TeslaCAD. Awesome tools, great for plugging around.

Kelvin science sells magnet wire in small quantities. They had the best price last I bought some, but it seems to have gone up? Look at goldmine electronics too, they had a good selection IIRC. Maybe some others have good distributors.

Something no one posted about MOC's is that they are the wrong type of capacitor and not only will they explode sometimes, they also will just die. They are not built for high frequency nor pulse applcations and can wear out almost instantly.

IGBT's and H-bridges are used in Solid State Tesla Coils, and Dual Resonant Solid State Tesla Coils. (SSTC's and DRSSTC's) These are completely different animals than SGTC's. The theory of the resonant transformer being driven at resonance or some factor thereof is the same, but the drivers are way different.

Oh, yeah. Please, Please, Please be careful with the MOTs. The guys here, back at the old fourm, told me my MOT setup didn't look very safe with jumpers and all. Anyway, I was too embarassed then to say anything, but I almost killed my self with it. cheesey (Yeah, I know you guys were right tongue ) Use a chicken stick(PVC'll do) when testing arcs.
Christian Coilist
Wed Mar 01 2006, 06:10AM
Christian Coilist Registered Member #269 Joined: Tue Feb 28 2006, 05:35PM
Thanks for the post! The TeslaCAD seems pretty darn useful! My Craftsman multimeter will not measure capcitance, but I think my RA's multimeter will. I'll ask him very kindly.

- Greg

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: