Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Hydrogen Production for running gas engines

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Vaxian
Fri Apr 13 2007, 03:14PM
Vaxian Registered Member #635 Joined: Tue Apr 10 2007, 01:56AM
To make an amount equivalent in energy to a gallon of gasoline would require only 30 gallons of muriatic acid and 23lbs of aluminum though, but good luck getting that to fit on your lawnmower. wink

You are crushing my dream of an aluminum powered car.
The reason for my experiments was always conceptual.

Guess I will go to the welding shop again if I want to keep experimenting and use the home brew methods for balloons.

Bored Chemist
Sat Apr 14 2007, 12:46PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
"So you've tried it then? The patents talked about using the reaction chamber
as a capacitor in a resonant circuit, so a coil is also involved.
Is this what you used?!
Of course I didn't try it; I have better things to do. The physics and spectroscopy of water are well know and there simply isn't anything there that could resonate at those frequencies. The patent office doesn't check that things work. There is no guarantee that, just because something is in a patent, you should believe it works.
In this case, if it worked as indicated, it would be a "free energy" machine. Sush topics are banned here because they are a waste of time and bandwidth.

Producing Hydrogen from aluminium and lye certainly won't produce any acid vapours- the lye would neutralise the acid. The spray of sodim hydroxide/ sodium aluminate solution would screw up the engine.
The whole idea of using aluminium to make hydrogen is bound to be less efficient than electrolysis because electrolysis (with all it's inefficiencies) is used to make the aluminium in the first place.
Electroholic
Sat Apr 14 2007, 01:46PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

The whole idea of using aluminium to make hydrogen is bound to be less efficient than electrolysis because electrolysis (with all it's inefficiencies) is used to make the aluminium in the first place.

hahaha, that is so true.
Vaxian
Sun Apr 15 2007, 06:37AM
Finally found a Stainless Steel pressure cooker today at a yard sale fer 2 bucks!

Been looking for one for years to do the aluminum/lye reaction for blowing up balloons.

I'm surprised someone hasn't brought up the hindenburgh!
Here's an interesting bit - The hydrogen burned up in the air in moments, the diesel fuel that ran the engines burned on the ground for hours afterwards, which was more dangerous?
Bjørn
Sun Apr 15 2007, 07:47AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
They are dangerous in completely different ways. Getting diesel to explode is hard even if you try to, hydrogen tend to cause explosions at every opportunity. A pressure cooker is pretty close to a bomb when you have hydrogen in it. You should take great care that air does not enter it and make sure that if it explodes it does not do any harm.
Vaxian
Sun Apr 15 2007, 06:12PM
A pressure cooker is pretty close to a bomb when you have hydrogen in it. You should take great care that air does not enter it and make sure that if it explodes it does not do any harm.

I will of course add an overpressure release valve of around 10-15 psi, don't need an extra piece of hydrogen propelled stainless steel taking my eye out. dead

Chris
Sun Apr 15 2007, 07:35PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
A pressure relief valve won't help if there is a hydrogen/air explosion inside. It will burn VERY fast and probably just explode anyway. I would purge it with argon or something before starting.
Vaxian
Sun Apr 15 2007, 11:51PM
A pressure relief valve won't help if there is a hydrogen/air explosion inside. It will burn VERY fast and probably just explode anyway. I would purge it with argon or something before starting.

Good call!
Food for thought, maybe put dry ingredients in first, pump out all air to create a vacuum, then let the water be sucked in, then collect the hydrogen?

I am glad you are all so concerned about my welfare, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Seriously, this is why I posted, to get others wisdom before jumping back into hydrogen experiments again.
Dr. Shark
Wed May 02 2007, 12:39PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Hang on! Did you say you powered a B&S Lawnmower four-stroke with hydrogen? That is quite an achivement, and frankly, you must be very brave! The biggest problem I see with this is reliablility, gasoline is supposed to burn slowly (read 1ms ballbark) and not supposed to explode instantly. I'd expect an engine designed for gasoline to fail quickly and spectacularly if run on hydrogen for a prolonged time under full load.
Can you comment on this?
sparky
Mon May 28 2007, 02:14PM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
Hydrogen powered engine aren't new - but getting to work is quite an achievement. Vancouver has a ballard fuel cell powered vehicle in its fleet of buses. For the 2010 winter Olympics we are using a pure Hydrogen powered bus - its already in service. Practicality sake - pure hydrogen burning in a vehicle isn't practical - but mixing the gas with oxygen would be pretty high powered stuff. I'd hate to see a fire and the fuel station!!

Damn.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: