All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[moved] Audio Modulation Circuit Problem (was "What am I doing wrong here?")

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ken M.
Mon Apr 09 2007, 05:21PM Print
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Well after getting my SSTC to run I decided I would try to switch some parts to allow more versatility and so I could try some ideas namely Interuptors and most of all Audio modulation. Right no it works using Steve Wards Micro SSTC driver with a 4429 instead of a 4420, removed 1 resistor and subbed another resistor for a 12turn trim pot. I decided I would try to use an interupt to see how it would effect me coil...well after setting the 555 to Fres of the coil I swapped out the 4429 for UCC37322, and tied the enable pin high so it would act like 4429. However the coil doesn't resonate anymore, Anyone have any idea why it doesn't work?

Edit: Changed all the DRSSTC to just SSTC upon correction of TC description.
Steve Ward
Tue Apr 10 2007, 01:26AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
The 4429 is an inverting driver and is generally NOT a good idea for the micro *SSTC* (youve been calling it a DRSSTC, and its technically not). If things fail to oscillate, it will just hold the MOSFET ON, and short out the power supply. The 37322 is a NON-inverting driver. So to make it work with the new non-inverting driver, then you need to swap your primary connections.
Ken M.
Tue Apr 10 2007, 07:30AM
Well I was successfully able to exchange some parts and turn in into kind of a Class E, yet again simmilar to Steves. Now an odd situation has arisen, It will only resonate if my had in between the antenna and the coil, where as the old system let me just start it up and it would resonate, any ideas on how to get it to esonate at all times while power is applied, without my hands being near the antenna?
Brett Miller
Tue Apr 10 2007, 03:35PM
Brett Miller Registered Member #593 Joined: Tue Mar 20 2007, 12:32AM
WhiteArc,

I built that project as my introduction to solid state tesla coiling as well (now I am working on designing my 3rd SSTC -- possibly a dual resonant)...it sounds like placing your hand near the antenna is causing your body to become an extention of your antenna and enabling it to more easily "see" the e-field of your MicroSSTC. You may want to try going with a longer antenna. Some like 12" or so.

-Brett
Ken M.
Wed Apr 11 2007, 02:44AM
Thanks for the suggestion Brett, I tried it and it didn't work mistrust so I went back to the same antenna I was using Heres the wayI have it set up with a 555 timer and it works just needs fine tuning from time to time.
Link2

But heres what I'm trying to do
Link2
And I have the unmodulated output to almost exactly the same as the out put waveform to waveform with the 55t imer circuit still using the 4429, and it doesn't even come close to resonating.

I was even thinking of combining the outputs at the input of the 4429 but he waveform gets all shaky. I'm unable to figure out why it won't work.
Ken M.
Sun Apr 15 2007, 03:48AM
Ok got my coil aduio modulated thanks to Mike for linking his set up to modulate the signal, Brett for suggesting a longer antenna, all the test equipment i had connect (O-scope and Amp meter) where causing some resonate issues, and Steve for the primary swap suggestion and correcting me about the DRSSTC thing.

Heres the ultra simple schematic. (Hope noone minds me photoshopping the images together tongue)

AudioTC
Experimentonomen
Mon Aug 06 2007, 09:28AM
Experimentonomen Registered Member #941 Joined: Sun Aug 05 2007, 10:09AM
Wouldent it be better to PWM the enable pin, rather than sending analog signals to it ?
Dalus
Mon Aug 06 2007, 10:25AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
That's asking for the hard way, surely it would be better to pwm the enable pin and it would sound better, but this will work good enough for most people.
Steve Conner
Mon Aug 06 2007, 01:20PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The transistor amplifier there is configured for such high gain that it will be more or less a zero-crossing detector. So I doubt the enable pin will be getting too much of an "analog" signal.

It also won't be too thermally stable. Bet you have to keep tweaking that 50K pot?
Marko
Mon Aug 06 2007, 01:31PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Even if it did get analog signal I don't see what good would it do. It would still behave as a schmitt trigger of sorts.

If you want audio modulation, best options for now seem to be PLL or SG3525, a half or full bridge with some *really* good free wheeling diodes and relatively low operating frequency, <200kHz.

Single transistor circuit like this is rather a poor solution. Transistor will see very high voltage while it is off, burn lots of energy in avalanching and die after a while if it's not cooled well
enough.

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: