All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rectifying a TC (a bit?)

Move Thread LAN_403
Tesladownunder
Sun Apr 08 2007, 03:32AM Print
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
We know that TC's don't make your hair stand on end like a van der Graaff generator. This is because charges don't accumulate but are dissipated in the reverse direction continuously with the spark ring down which occurs at the TC frequency of perhaps 100kHz.
This became obvious to me with the non-performance of my 14 foot spinner.

Consider a spark from a needle point to a plane surface. The voltage at which this breaks down is lowest when the needle is negative. From my experiments, this is perhaps as much as 1.4 times as great as the opposite polarity. Unlike a diode, though, when the spark fires, the diode is short circuited (in both directions) and any accumulated charge is lost.

Consider the situation where there is just a corona, depositing charge without the spark. It may be possible to accumulate some charge. This might show up with the equivalent of a head full of hair which is an electrometer just two foils together which separate if a constant DC charge is present.

My experimental setup is based on Coke Zero cans. (I have not replicated this with any other cans like Coke plain or other generic Colas wink ). By twisting and cutting the ringpull, a sort of needle point is obtained. This is brought up to 1.5cm from another cans base which is concave. In this way a string of cans can be made, each with a polarising gap and with few sharp edges exteriorly to generate spurious corona. It is run from my mini TC (2 inch sparks) connected to the right can. Earth is the left. Note that this is below sparking threshhold.

By the use of an aluminium foil electrometer I can show (with constant TC output)
Pic 1 Eathed side: No electrometer reading (only few mm)
Pic 2 Central can: Electrometer shows wide separation
pic 3 TC side: Electrometer shows mild separation

I interpret this to show some charge accumulation, presumably positive, since this is the charge that can't escape.

Anyone have any thoughts or how to progress this?

TDU
1176003101 10 FT0 Tesladcelectometerearth

1176003101 10 FT0 Tesladcelectometercenter

1176003101 10 FT0 Tesladcelectometertcend
haulinick
Fri Apr 13 2007, 10:16AM
haulinick Registered Member #619 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 05:26AM
very interesting idea. good thinking. I am slightly puzzled by the whole point to it but I get the idea of how the rectifier works.
Tesladownunder
Fri Apr 13 2007, 01:39PM
Rectifying a TC would be able to supply large DC voltages at significant currents which are far higher than van der Graaffs can give. Make big x-ray stuff, charge huge objects, make Marx multipliers to get even higher voltages, run powerful ionic spinners etc.

Modelling what is happenning here with a sort of diode draining charge on to a capacitor (the can) at 200KHz with multiple units all in series is something I need to get my head around first.

TDU

Steve Conner
Fri Apr 13 2007, 01:46PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Instead of grounding the first can directly, try grounding it through a milli- or micro- ammeter. A DC meter with a capacitor shunted across it, so it only reads the DC component of the output, and passes the AC through to ground. That will give you an idea of how well your rectifier is working.

The output of a Tesla coil is limited by breakout from the topload or breakdown of the secondary, just like a Van De Graaff is limited by corona from its top terminal or arcing down the column. So I don't really see how a Tesla coil could output "Far higher" voltages than a similarly sized VDG.

*edit* oops, I see you said "Currents" which are far higher, not voltages, my mistake
HV Enthusiast
Fri Apr 13 2007, 03:13PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
We actually have several very high voltage hi-pot machines at work which are essentially tesla coils with the output rectified. they work pretty good and we have units up to 500kV. the units we have are probably at least 30 years old, so the technology has been around for quite a while. you can probably search old IEEE archives (or similar) to find more specifics about how this is done if you don't wish to devise your own solution.
Justin H.
Fri Apr 13 2007, 03:21PM
Justin H. Registered Member #641 Joined: Fri Apr 13 2007, 02:45AM
Why not rectify the output of an SSTC (CW) with a string of HV high speed diodes?

Connect the diode string between the SSTC's toroid and another (highly polished) toroid mounted on a mega-insulator. Then tune the coil to the setup.

See any reason that 1/2 megavolt DC or better couldn't be had?

See any reason that we couldn't get a very good measurement of the actual output voltage of a tesla coil itself, using this rectifier arrangement + a serious HV divider? The coil + diodes would charge the polished "filter" toroid to peak voltage, where it could be measured via string of R's and high-Z-input buffer (such as AD8641...with a 0.25picoamp input bias current!!!)

Gotta watch out for the high-frequency HV output of the coil driving AC current into the second toroid. Just separate them I guess...

(EDIT: Hi Dan, didn't see your post until after I posted mine. 500kV is impressive. That's good news, it means it's do-able...)
Tesladownunder
Fri Apr 13 2007, 04:34PM
Justin H. wrote ...

Why not rectify the output of an SSTC (CW) with a string of HV high speed diodes?
.....See any reason that we couldn't get a very good measurement of the actual output voltage of a tesla coil itself, using this rectifier arrangement + a serious HV divider? ....
I have at least 50 9 amp 600V diodes that have a 60ns recovery if I recall. Even if they were avalanche rated I doubt that they would survive long (unlike red LED's shades )
Don't forget that to rectify 500kV into a capacitative load you need to use a diode rated at 1MV minimum.
ragnar
Sat Apr 14 2007, 04:27AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
BY8418 is your best friend, guys -- 18kV 5mA

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: