All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

large tesla tuning question

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
teravolt
Fri Mar 30 2007, 04:52AM Print
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
I am designing a fiber optic drive DRSSTC from scratch and I have enterd the stage for the primary construction. When I am ready what is the recomendation for tuning poles? I have the book "Building the modern day tesla coil" and Eastern Voltage Research said that in small ciols the primary is tuned low and does not go into larger coils. How do you guys deal with notching and large coils. If you need details of my DRSSTC let me know
Steve Ward
Fri Mar 30 2007, 03:58PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Im sure ive explained this before, but with larger coils, i find that allowing a notch is fine (typically occurs in 6-9 cycles). The notch is then your shut off point, which maximizes efficiency overall. Its found that with big coils, you can typically drive enough energy in those 6-9 cycles to achieve good spark lengths, while little coils just cant get enough energy in that short time, so you detune very far to alter the effects of notching (it does ultimately notch, since this is a physical phenomena dealing with energy being transfered to the load).

But, you shouldnt have much to worry about designing. Make your primary have more inductance than you think you need, and then just find what tuning works best for your system since you will need to fine tune it by hand anyway.

And what exactly is meant by fiber optic drive? Just the interrupter or is the RF drive signal also by fiber?
teravolt
Sat Mar 31 2007, 05:20AM
thanks for the reply, I am using fiber optics to isolate 4 CM600HA-24. Each fiber runs the driver to each IGBT. I can get rise and fall times under a microsecond. Each driver uses an independent power supply (on board regulators). The same thing can be done with optos. I prefer this method to transformers because I feal it gives me more controle over the gate time. with 2 IXDD414PI I can drive the gate with less than an ohm at 28A or more.
1175318418 195 FT22728 Dscn0725

1175318418 195 FT22728 Dscn0737
ragnar
Sat Mar 31 2007, 05:44AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Darnit, where do you and Firkragg find this beautiful double-sided tinned donut-pad-prototype-board?

edit: So-called "Vector" is it? I purchase it as "prototyping clad", but can only find single-sided bare copper, which corrodes so quickly. ^_^
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sat Mar 31 2007, 06:19AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
BP don't you know about Vector? It's out there but the stuff new is $$$
Marko
Sat Mar 31 2007, 11:19AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Hi! *jelaous of those beautiful bricks and drivers* suprised

Darnit, where do you and Firkragg find this beautiful double-sided tinned donut-pad-prototype-board?

All my tinned boards are tinned on my own, they were copper before.
Anyway, due to lead contet solder oxidizes after some time and still hardens the soldering... I never tried a RoHS solder yet.

Using lotlack spray would actually make soldering more easy than tinning.

I did although have some silvered and gold-plated double sided proto boards here. They are superior for soldering under any conditions! I don't have much of them left unfortunately.

Im sure ive explained this before, but with larger coils, i find that allowing a notch is fine (typically occurs in 6-9 cycles). The notch is then your shut off point, which maximizes efficiency overall. Its found that with big coils, you can typically drive enough energy in those 6-9 cycles to achieve good spark lengths, while little coils just cant get enough energy in that short time, so you detune very far to alter the effects of notching (it does ultimately notch, since this is a physical phenomena dealing with energy being transfered to the load).

I also noticed that my coil notches after just few cycles whan I tuned it for *best looking spark*. I would have to run 2 notches if I wanted 200 or so us of on time.
I still need proper capacitors, calibrated CTs snd some time...
Tom540
Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:52PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Frys sells boards like that. If there isn't one near you you can try the website Link2 I don't know if they ship overseas though.
teravolt
Sat Mar 31 2007, 05:26PM
vector is to expensive so I use use Twin Industries [http://twinind.com/catalog.php?id=7] to do my prototype PCB's smile. The driver PCB is done with ExpressPCB and there free softwere package. At some point I am going to make a surface mount version of the controler. I Got 100 of the 942C caps at Richardson Electronics in two weeks
1175361972 195 FT22728 Dscn0739

1175361972 195 FT22728 Dscn0728
Marko
Sat Mar 31 2007, 07:13PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Wow teravolt, absolutely beautiful design... There is a real demand for 942C caps in last times, guys at rell must be wondering about that...

Just spotted it, what are those busbars made off?

teravolt
Sat Mar 31 2007, 10:01PM
1/8"aluminuim plate 5.39uf esr less than 1m ohm
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: