Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

railgun

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Bjørn
Wed Mar 28 2007, 12:04PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
You need highest possible current and lowest possible friction. If you can't measure the current then you are working blind. If you don't know the ESR of your capacitors then only luck can make you succeed.

To reach your target with such a low energy you need a well made railgun. I suggest that you make an efficient coil-gun first to learn more.
Wolfram
Wed Mar 28 2007, 01:47PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
If you have five 80µF 60V caps, as you stated in your first post, then you have 0.72J in total. If you had a hundred times this, it might be possible. If you had a thousand times this, it should make a usable small railgun. Unless you can get several hundred of these caps, I'd start looking for some better caps.
dixie43
Wed Mar 28 2007, 05:02PM
dixie43 Registered Member #608 Joined: Wed Mar 28 2007, 12:01AM
where would i be able to find really good caps? Would it be more efficient to connect the caps in series or in parallel?
Eric
Wed Mar 28 2007, 06:55PM
Eric Registered Member #69 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 07:42AM
Photo flash caps are 'good' in that they have low ESR and are designed for high current output but you should be able to use just about any electrolytics. You ought not to need more than 300V-400V if your circuit resistance and inductance is kept to a minimum. Most people use big filter capacitors from switching power supplies. They are easy to find on ebay.

The big limiting factor with electrolytics and railguns is their high ESR, so generally you'll be better off with caps wired in parallel. Caps should have a voltage rating in the ballpark of 300V-600V.

As others have said, steel rails are very bad. They have high resistivity and also very high AC resistance due to skin effect in comparison to copper. The net effect is that they are ~100 worse than copper and will limit your peak current.
dixie43
Wed Mar 28 2007, 07:09PM
What can i use instead of copper that is a good conductor?
Ronnie
Wed Mar 28 2007, 07:57PM
Ronnie Registered Member #600 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 08:41PM
Aluminium is a good alternative if you can't find copper, it is a lot easier to find at an affordable price, but it is still better than steel. Try googling for statistics of different materials - electric conductivity, melting point, etc. The only way to find out how these numbers combine in real life though is to try it out.
dixie43
Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:08PM
I have aluminum rails i can use instead of steel (15 inches each) and i have found cheap caps that have a voltage rating of 330v and 120uf each. I am using speaker wire to connect my caps to the camera flash board and the rails. How many caps of 330v and 120uf would i need to fire my projectile (small piece of aluminum, until i can find a more effecient projectile) 5-10 feet?
Ronnie
Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:21PM
It would be impossible to predict that due to the number of different factors that would need to be considered. Use the fattest cable you can obtain, and perhaps 30 photoflash capacitors. If range is all that matters, use a slightly smaller piece of aluminium foil. As it weighs less it will be go faster, within reason. Try all different shapes, sizes and materials for the projectile, be creative :)
dixie43
Wed Mar 28 2007, 09:29PM
How long should my aluminum rails be, to shoot 5 to 10 feet and not waste any energy on extra resistance from rails that are too long.
Ronnie
Wed Mar 28 2007, 10:42PM
For lower energy levels, you can use silicon controlled rectifiers to switch power, search the forums and you'll find a few topics about them, and other ways you can improve efficiency, also make sure that your setup is safe - especially protect yourself from unexpected shrapnel from the circuitry, check the voltage on the capacitor bank before touching anything, etc, you can never be too careful.
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: