Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Homemade high-freq HV transformers

1 2 3
Move Thread LAN_403
Marko
Mon Apr 09 2007, 10:04AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Update: scratch this before, here's what i'm with now:

I changed the primary to 5+5 and tightened the airgap, now having a frequency of about 20kHz unloaded and 70kHz shorted secondary. 20kHz is really low!

Still, even when running from 14V battery charger (43V, ~8V/turn) the core is gets hot as quickly as it did before, up to seome 50degrees C and stays there.

Airgap should go back in...

Anyway I doubt this particular transformer will ever reach the voltage I wanted it to with such kind of winding technique. Core small as this simply *must* use magnet wire and dinky insulation, just in orderto fit more turns in.

Seeing rickr having sucess with magnet wire, I may just try it.

I'l be able to use only 2 groves, but still actually more turns than before... if I come to use this transformer.
Or maybe I could switch to flyback converter in the end..? (if I ever find a use for this transformer)..

uzzors2k
Mon Apr 09 2007, 07:12PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Beautiful flyback Firkragg!

I made a poorly insulated flyback transformer for my table top SGTC. Since the spark gap is set for 1kV it has survived. I used about 150 turns and got 10kV driven in flyback mode with 12V supply voltage. I used a standard E core from an ATX, and the 3kV rated tape used to insulate the windings.

After playing with the Mazzilli driver again I feel the need for a monster flyback, so I'll try making one this week. How about parralleling two cores for twice the cross sectional area? That would half the primary turns needed and double the output voltage. Are there any problems associated with that?
Sulaiman
Mon Apr 09 2007, 07:30PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Firkragg, most power ferrites have their lowest losses somewhere between 50 and 90 Celcius,
so running the core at c50 Celcius is GOOD.
Marko
Sun Apr 15 2007, 09:30PM
Hi

I played some more with these things over a weekend. I lashed up a halfbridge in order to operate from mains and stop bothering about power supply.

The stacked transformer was a dissapointment; i bit and went to rewind it with 0,3mm magnet wire (only 2 of 4 grooves as with rickr's design) only to find out that it arced over and welded somewhere, practically no output and one winding getting hot.. I've had enough with it for the day.

To ease frustration, I sawn off a part of a small damaged SSTC secondary and put it onto core. It had only about 350 turns and I couldn't get more than 2-3kV from it at most.
If I used thinner wire (0,05mm) I could maybe get 6kV or so, but not more.
Using a wider secondary form and primary under it may also be an improvement.

Still, it's very robust and actually only way I would recommend magnet wire to be used in HV transformers.

preliminary halfbridge test...

1176672643 89 FT22460 Large Flyback

This is how it looks like.. it's SG3525, with simple scr-based overcurrent protection.

1176672643 89 FT22460 Halfbridge

arc from singlelayer transformer.. it is ballasted to stop the overcurrent protection from tripping with heavy arcs... Core gets warm but stays at about 50degrees. I'm only running about 7V/turn here. Note the burning insulation on magnet wire used as target.. arc melts it in seconds!

1176672643 89 FT22460 Big Arc
Dr. Shark
Mon Apr 23 2007, 12:45PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Very nice work Marco, I never got that long arcs from similar self-wound transformers, so I guess your driver is a lot better. Is it a double-sided board with the switches on the bottom? What kind of drive are you using there anyway, are you doing proper PWM or is the chip just used as an oscillator? Is it a (half) bridge or a single switch?
Ken M.
Mon Apr 23 2007, 08:17PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
It looks like it might be a ZVS driver.
Marko
Mon Apr 23 2007, 08:34PM
I'm using two IRFP450's in halfbridge wired to a SG3525.
Small current transformer triggers an SCR wich shuts down the controller and light a led in case of overcurrent of about 6..7amps.
I wasn't botheret to draw a schematic for it angry

Plugging into mains and deliberately shorting the output couldn't blow it up.

When I get caps for a proper MMC I may even wind a better transformer and try to power a SGTC with it...

1 2 3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: