All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC Interrupter Frequency.

Move Thread LAN_403
gentoo_daemon
Fri Mar 23 2007, 03:48AM Print
gentoo_daemon Registered Member #512 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 05:42PM
Hello
After testing out my interrupter, I see that it's capable of all sorts of frequencies from low as 500 Hz to 10kHz. Even though I am limiting the duty cycle to less than 8%, could operating the interrupter at the lower frequencies be catastrophic for my bridge? And as for your own coils, what interrupt frequency was optimal for the coil?

-Thanks.

Steve Ward
Fri Mar 23 2007, 05:41AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Your range is way off for producing long sparks vs input power. You should have a sweep on the range of 50hz to 500hz. The pulse width should be from 50uS to 250uS, or thereabouts. My DRSSTC-1 runs well at 200bps (200hz) and 110uS pulse width. My DRSSTC-2 runs well at about 180bps and 180uS.
Steve Conner
Fri Mar 23 2007, 11:32AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yeah, generally around 100-200Hz PRF and 150-300us on-time seems to be good for DRSSTCs. I have run mine at 10Hz and 3ms on-time, though, which gives some pretty spectacular effects. My interrupter goes from single shot to around 300Hz, and from 10 to 300us on-time, with a x10 switch that changes the range of on-times to be 100us to 3ms.
HV Enthusiast
Sat Mar 31 2007, 02:26AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

could operating the interrupter at the lower frequencies be catastrophic for my bridge?

Actually, yes. One thing i see quite commonly is people running successful DRSSTCs at 100Hz, and when they go down to say 50Hz or even lower, the bridge blows. This occurs because at lower PRFs, the interpulse droop is much less so you get a much higher voltage being pumped into the primary which also means more current as well.

But as the Steves said, the modulator should be set optimally between 50Hz and 300-500Hz maximum. 10kHz is way too high, especially if you want to maintain reasonable duty cycles in which case the pulsewidths would be extremely short.

Steve Ward
Sat Mar 31 2007, 06:35AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Actually, yes. One thing i see quite commonly is people running successful DRSSTCs at 100Hz, and when they go down to say 50Hz or even lower, the bridge blows. This occurs because at lower PRFs, the interpulse droop is much less so you get a much higher voltage being pumped into the primary which also means more current as well.

I never really thought too much about that one. I figured the failure mode was due to higher currents needed to re-initialize the breakout, since when the arc extinguishes, starting from no ion cloud near the toroid causes the voltage to go higher (implying higher primary current).

My coils dont have any problems with one shot mode, of course.
Steve Conner
Sat Mar 31 2007, 11:12AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yay, I found a picture of one of my 3ms single shots.

1175339542 30 FT22381 Imgp0811 Single 4

The ion cloud explanation kind of makes sense too. When I was trying to get the absolute longest spark from that coil, I found I could get much further before it flashed over and started burning itself up, if I gradually raised the voltage. If I just flipped the gate drive on with the DC bus caps already charged, a spark would shoot from the middle of the secondary to the strike rail. Of course the transient in DC bus voltage that EVR mentioned could be part of the explanation, too.
Tom540
Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:59PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
It kinda sounds like the current lag and voltage spike in your secondary made it jump from the middle. Like it didn't have enough time to charge up the toroid. Then again I don't know.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: