All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil decision

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Mar 27 2007, 05:32PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Two things I'm going to point out that you need to think about right away:
1. You only list 2 electrodes for your spark gap.
I have done it that way for a low power coil, but this is 900W we're talking about here!
2. Use the static gap cap .015 or .016 for best performance even with a rotary. My research, simulations, and real TC testing showed me right away that the large .028 drops your output performance because it loads the transformer too much.

If you want more details, see Calculating LTR thread.
Michael W.
Wed Mar 28 2007, 05:10AM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
Ok, so I upgraded my spark gap to a 5 electrode gap...I'm now getting 18-20" arcs. Now for more optimization...
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Mar 28 2007, 07:20AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
One way to tell that you're way out of tune that I noticed is by listening to the gap. Now this is very very loud! So be careful! But if the gap fires and its really loud, and your spark length is really short, start moving your primary tap around a lot. I noticed that as you get closer to that 'sweet spot' the gap and the spark are about the same loudness relativily speaking. So if you have almost no noise coming from the arcs, and lots of bang from the gap, move your tap out more and more until the gap quiets down and the arcs start getting longer..and louder.

I know that sounds terribly crazy, its just what I've noticed from SGTC's. Your experience may vary.
Steve Conner
Wed Mar 28 2007, 09:56AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It sounds crazy, but it makes sense. In a SGTC, most of the energy that doesn't make it to the output spark gets burnt in the primary spark gap. So as you get closer to being in tune, the streamers get bigger while the spark gap dims and quietens down.

The various kinds of pulsed solid-state coils (DRSSTC, OLTC, etc) recycle the unused energy for use in the next bang, instead of wasting it. They have to do it that way because the transistorized "spark gap" can't stand the losses that a real spark gap can. So when tuning these, you can see the current draw from the line reach a maximum when it's roughly in tune.
Michael W.
Wed Mar 28 2007, 02:35PM
Michael W. Registered Member #50 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:07AM
Well I'm getting 18ish" arcs and my sparkgap sounds like a cap gun going off every half a second. I wear hearing protection or my ears ring after but I think I'll try Hazmatt's tuning method next....
Marko
Wed Mar 28 2007, 02:43PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Have you tried that bigger secondary you have there?

Regarding the spark gap, it's best to completely remove the primary and mmc and set it so that your nst *just* barely arcs over it. Anything more is dangerous to the transformer if cap is close to resonant value.
Terry Fritz
Wed Mar 28 2007, 07:27PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

You may be having a problem with primary "Q". If the primary capacitance is high and the primary inductance is low, the primary circuit will not "ring" like a bell but rather "thud" like a rock.

Q = SQRT(L/C) / 3

Q should be at least 20.

In your case Q = SQRT ( 0.429e-6 / 0.01611e-6) / 3 = 1.7 suprised

That is a least an order of magnitude too low!!
Bart should put a "Low Q Warning" in his program since this is easy to miss... I see he does have secondary Q which is almost impossible to mess up...

If so, the primary inductor basically looks like a dead short to the primary capacitor and the current is very high and fast, thus the extremely loud bang. Getting 18 inches still is actually pretty good!!!

So you need more primary inductance since the cap size is sort of fixed by your transformer size. (Ignore the 75,000 Volt recommended cap rating cheesey (Based on one old time silly "rule"...)

So how to fix it...

A Q of say 30 is pretty good for "me":

30 = SQRT( L / 16e-9) / 3 Where L = 130uH !!

Fo would then be:

Fo = 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT (L x C) == 1 / (2 x pi x SQRT( 130e-6 x 16e-9) = 110kHz.

So you need a lot of turns on the primary basically.

You then need a lot of turns on the secondary and a big top load too to match the 110kHz of the primary.

You need a big top load like 25pF would be nice. Then you get thin wire and wind the secondary to get lots of turns (probably 1000 to 1500).

You can see my big coil here but it uses a rotary gap (different primary cap value (27nF):

Link2

There is also a formula sheet here with lots of calculation info where the programs get most of their equations:

Link2

For what you have now, do everything possible to make the top load "BIG". Add more top loads... The secondary needs to have a lower resonant frequency so you can use more primary turns to increase the primary Q... Using a smaller NST transformer that would have a much lower matched primary capacitor may actually do better than what you have now too. You need more L and less C.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing smile

Cheers,

Terry
Part Scavenger
Wed Mar 28 2007, 07:50PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Matt's right about that tuning, you can tell by the way it sounds. You don't necessarily have to have your earplugs out to tell though. Apart from the streamer length, loudness he was talking about... the even-ness of the gap firing should tell you alot as well. Unfortunately, you kind of have to acquire "the ear" which isn't really hard to do, but like I was in your situation, I didn't know what to listen for until I had a coil that worked well.
Marko
Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:00PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
Just to clarify myself after terry: Definitely, do use that bigger secondary you have, and put on as much topload as you can before the coil starts looking silly.
Try to get your frequency somewhere to 100..200kHz, lower = better!

You need as much primary inductance as possible because you are on very low end as me and terry have seemingly figured out!

Tuning isn't actually all that hard thing to do, you just get a figure from a calculator adn then
fiddle the tap by trial and error around it.
Increasing primary Q should be your priority now.

Terry Fritz
Wed Mar 28 2007, 08:11PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Oh! I see Firkragg "already" mentioned the Q thing wink I missed his earlier post, but the one turn primary caught my eye shades Looks like this is getting figured out smile See, we didn't need any test equipment after all cheesey

Cheers,

Terry
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: