Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How can I etch dichroic glass?

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Tue Mar 20 2007, 02:58AM Print
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
Hi all - I can't seem to google up any info on this, figured a chemical wiz might have an idea.

I have a sheet of dichroic borosilicate float glass. the coating process involves vapor deposition of metals on the glass surface to make optical bandpass filters... anyways

I need to very selectively etch small diameter holes in the dichroic layer and not affect the optical qualities of the glass below it. 2" sheet, need a 0.1" holes sorta evenly spaced...so....

I've done plenty of silkscreen PCBs and I figure I would just make a resist stencil on a screen and knock these out by the dozen (if not hundreds)

But I can't find anything that will eat the dichro off. So far I have tried 40% nitric acid, Datek pcb etching grade ferric chloride, and "Sparex" pickel which I think is weak sulphuric acid - no results.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all,

-Doug
Chris
Tue Mar 20 2007, 04:07AM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
What kind of metals or compounds are deposited on the surface? Aqua regia can dissolve most metals (especially when thin or finely divided) except tantalum, iridium, and maybe a few others. You really need some good ventilation for it, of course, since the vapors contain free chlorine and nitrosyl chloride. Elemental bromine should attack any metal to some degree, but it is nasty to work with and much more difficult to find a resist material for than acids (you could use teflon, glass, or maybe some fluoroelastomer such as fluorosilicone or viton). You can extract usefully concentrated bromine electrolytically from bromide salt with a separatory funnel since it is dense and relatively insoluble, though.

If the layer is conductive, an electrolytic etch will be even more precise, faster, and use much less harsh or dangerous chemicals (at least before you power the cell up). A simple aqueous sodium chloride electrolytic etch works well on most metals but will produce chlorine gas (no problem with good ventilation though). That method is often used for etching relatively thick steel such as for pulsejet valves. More vigorous but also more toxic, would be a similar fluoride bath (though it could attack the glass too).

For the most powerful electrolytic etching, an anhydrous bath of fused (molten) chloride salt could be used. A eutetic 60/40 mix of lithium and potassium chloride melts very easily and below the strain point of even soda-lime glass. Also 60/40 calcium/sodium chloride melts at less than 600C. It can attack all metals at the anode, even iridium, at some rate or other. Similarly a fluoride bath would be even more vigorous, but far too toxic to be worthwhile, and chloride is sufficient for any metal anyway. Remember though that hot glass is conductive in such salt baths, but with a very brief exposure (maybe even a single low voltage capacitor discharge) it could work without damaging the glass to any appreciable degree (depending I guess on how high purity you need this). Also you would have minimal production of free halogen in the brief electrolysis.
Bored Chemist
Tue Mar 20 2007, 06:58AM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
I think they will have used dielectric coatings rather than metals. Without kinowing what they are it's difficult to know how to dissolve them- particularly without damaging the glass.
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 20 2007, 11:52AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Our optics whiz says those coatings are extremely tough and have to be got off mechanically.
GreySoul
Tue Mar 20 2007, 03:15PM
so some digging,...the coatings are titanium and quartz.

The quartz is probably why nothing has worked yet.\

And steve - I've seen this done before. most comanies use lasers, but before lasers were commonly available people used acids.

Also - anyone have experiance with imagon film? I have a roll, and if it would work better than silk screened resist I could use it.... just thinking aloud on that one.

-Doug
Steve Conner
Tue Mar 20 2007, 03:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Hmm, well if they used acid, it would probably have been HF.
Bored Chemist
Tue Mar 20 2007, 06:50PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
Titanium dioxide isn't a lot easier to get through than quartz and would have ignored the "etchants" you have tried so far. HF would work but it will mess up the sufrace of the substrate. What are you trying to do?
GreySoul
Tue Mar 20 2007, 09:52PM
I'm trying to etch patterns onto dichro for an art project. the evenly spaced dots are just one facet of this - once i get a process down I';m going to expand into other patterns and such.

I'm well aware of companies that do this work, but the whole point of the project is I do it myself.

Would a weak hf solution slowly etch the material to where I could watch the process and remove the glass before it etches the udnerlying glass? Obviously the bottom and edges would have to be masked.... but could that work?

Also - my local chem supplier closed down I guess (if anyone knows anything about Albuchem, let me know) so... any reasonable source of HF? I'm pretty certain it's one of the harder acids to come by, right?

...anyways...thanks so far, and I'll keep updating progress if I make any.

-Doug
Chris
Tue Mar 20 2007, 11:13PM
Chris Registered Member #8 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:34AM
so some digging,...the coatings are titanium and quartz.

The quartz is probably why nothing has worked yet.\

Actually the etchants you have tried would have a hard time with titanium too. Is it just titanium or titanium dioxide?
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Mar 21 2007, 03:40AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
If you're trying to etch Ti or any of the same group metals, you use a mixture of Nitric and Hydroflouric Acids. It's a standard De-ox that my boss uses seldom because of the potency of the stuff. You can also use a Nitric BiFlouride mixture, it will be very corrosive to Ti, SiO2, and just about anything you can think of.
When using it will produce Nitrogen Oxides immediately as brown clouds of nasty toxic gas, so you have to do it out in the open, and hopefully with protection.
If you have any left over it will need to be stored in a poly jar of some sort because itll eat through most things.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: