Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Flyback output voltage vs. frequency

Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Mar 18 2007, 02:09PM Print
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I have been experimenting with single MOSFET flyback driver (tl494+mosfet). I could get about 30kv from a small flyback with frequency below 15khz. That was nice, but my ears did really hurt from the horrible whistling sound. When I upped the frequency above audible range, the output voltage decreased (logically). I wanted it to be the same as previously, so I removed some turns from the primary in hope to increase the output voltage. However, whatever I did (vary duty cycle, change primary turns), I did not bring the output voltage even close to as with lower frequency. So the question is, WHY I cannot get so high voltage with higher frequency? Is there something I can do to increase the voltage (change core airgap maybe?)
thanks, J.M.
Myke
Sun Mar 18 2007, 03:04PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Probibly the flyback's resonant freq was near 15KHz so when you increased the freq then it went out of resononce. Yeah making the airgap larger in the flyback core will decrease the inductance thus raising the resonant freq.
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Mar 18 2007, 06:28PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Wow, I'm now getting maybe 50kv from a small poor ac flyback! suprised What I did was to increase the airgap maybe 3 times and I also put a resonant capacitor on the primary, it's resonating above audible range, but the problem is now that whenewer I connect anything to the output, it drifts out of resonance and the voltage drops.

Has anyone have an idea how to make this circuit self-resonant? Feedback winding? Secondary return feedback? Antenna? I seem now to have a Tesla coil-like problems cheesey
uzzors2k
Sun Mar 18 2007, 08:22PM
uzzors2k Registered Member #95 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:57PM
Nice, I didn't know that about the air gap, I'll have to try it sometime.

Concerning making the circuit self-resonant, I made this on Friday. Its not done yet, as there is still an issue with the high side mosfet floating, but the concept should work. It is supposed to act like a SGTC, except solid state. When circuit starts the top mosfet will conduct until capacitor C is full, at which point it will close and the bottom mosfet will open. That allows the LC oscillation to go, which the flyback primary being L. When capacitor C voltage sinks to a certain point, the process repeats itself. Or at least that is what I meant for it to do.
1174249336 95 FT22183 Resonance Drive Self Oscillating Uzzors
Sulaiman
Mon Mar 19 2007, 08:06AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Although I realise it's a conceptual design, there are a few things I notice about the proposed circuit;

1) The diode is unneccessary and will cause the upper mosfet to be on much longer than the lower mosfet

2) The operating voltage for this circuit cannot exceed the Vgs rating of the mosfets

3) The lower mosfet will turn off so slowly (no pull-down resistor) that both mosfets will be on at the same time.

4) Worst of all, BOTH bjts will be on all the time!
Current will flow from +supply via E-B of the pnp to B-E of the npn to 0v.
Not good cry

Other than the above it should be OK cheesey
Ambar
Mon Mar 19 2007, 03:51PM
Ambar Registered Member #549 Joined: Sun Feb 25 2007, 02:49AM
In ZVS Driver, how much bigger number it of turns in the primario of flyback, and greater the value of the capacitor, greater goes to be the chain and lesser it goes to be the frequency in output high-voltage?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: