All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV capacitors

Move Thread LAN_403
JamesH
Tue Mar 13 2007, 01:53PM Print
JamesH Registered Member #579 Joined: Mon Mar 12 2007, 09:45AM
Does any one have a REASONABLE source for HV capacitors?
Preferably polypropylene 2- 6 Kv at .03 - .003 uF
I want to build a MMC bank for an ignition coil driven tesla
I need to make up about 3.3nF at 30 KV
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Mar 13 2007, 03:28PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Welcome aboard!

Terry Fritz had good luck with his MMC made from the Panasonic 1600V metalized polypropylene caps, even pushing them to 3000V! http://www.hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MMCInfo/mmcinfo.htm DigiKey sells them for ~$2.30 (USD) each in quantities of 10 or more, or ~$1.80 for 100 or more (see link for part number). I think Terry made this MMC before the days of the Geek Group caps, though. The so-called "Geek Group caps" are generally regarded as the very best (the CDE 942C series, specifically), but you're going to be forced to buy at *least* 50 from a place like Richardson, and unfortunately they don't come cheap. You'll probably pay at least $3.50 each no matter where you go. Geek Group used to sell for less, I think, but I haven't seen them advertise them for a long time. You can get them in small quantities from "Dr. Resonance" (a.k.a. D.C. Cox of Resonance Research Corp.) on the TCML sometimes. If you decide to go with the 942C's, check with him first and see if he has any. You can also use the much-cheaper CDE 940 series if you're nice to them (use longer strings and more in parallel to accomodate the lower voltages and/or current ratings).

Another route for you, if you're really only after 3.3nF, might be to try the Strontium Titanate doorknob caps sold by 'yishdz' on eBay. Currently, he's selling 400pF 50kV doorknobs for $9 each. Eight of these in parallel would give you 3.2nF at 50kV for $72, and would probably handle crazy peak currents. You might look at the other doorknobs he's selling to see if there's a better combination for price/performance. Not everybody has had good luck with doorknobs in spark gap coils, though, and I cannot claim to have used them myself. Some people swear by them, though.

Good luck! smile

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Dr. Drone
Tue Mar 13 2007, 03:52PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
J. Aaron Holmes
Tue Mar 13 2007, 05:37PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Might be worth adding that 3.3nF for an OBIT is probably too small. What are the specs of your OBIT? Usually they're something like 10kV at 23mA. And for that, the recommended LTR cap value for a static spark gap is 9.2nF (for 60Hz mains). If you've got 50Hz mains or are using a synchronous rotary gap, you probably want even more. Check out http://www.classictesla.com/download/MMC_Cap_Chart.pdf for the proper values. The "resonant" values are for reference only. Use those with your NST or OBIT and it will be probably be destroyed in short order.

EDIT: Ack! Ignore this post. I'd somehow read "ignition coil" as "ignition transformer" angry So you are not using an OBIT. Sorry...

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Terry Fritz
Tue Mar 13 2007, 11:26PM
Terry Fritz Registered Member #393 Joined: Tue Apr 18 2006, 12:30AM
Hi,

Chip A. replaced his exploded commercial caps with these wink) Chip's caps blowing up on the roof of his house on Halloween sort of got the whole MMC thing started... The Panasonic caps are super fine.

Cheers,

Terry
JamesH
Wed Mar 14 2007, 08:49AM
JamesH Registered Member #579 Joined: Mon Mar 12 2007, 09:45AM
Thank you ALL for your responses
I should have mentioned
I AM IN ENGLAND .......... Even I do not know where UK starts and Ends and hate the term GB

By Ign Coil I meant motor car ignition coils ( Auto ignition) not ORBITS

In the words of Mr Winston Churchill :- Two nations divided by a single Language .

THANKS very much for your advise and recommendations... I will take a few days to digest neutral
Proud Mary
Thu Mar 29 2007, 09:40PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Hi James,

Anthony Welsh is based in England and always has doorknobs and HV ceramic plate types for sale,
which are mil-spec parts imported from the former Soviet Union.

Link2

cheers,
Harry

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: