Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Project Dwell Time

Move Thread LAN_403
mrtran1224
Thu Mar 08 2007, 10:12PM Print
mrtran1224 Registered Member #572 Joined: Thu Mar 08 2007, 09:43PM
Hello, everyone first post for me.

Recently I got interested in coil guns and my knowledge of electronics is not too high. But there are some issues about coil guns that I am not too certain about.

First of all I was wanting to build my first single stage coil gun with a 450V capacitor at 3900 microfarads. I am planning to use a 4 inch long projectile.

Well I am assuming that I could reach a maximum of 3% efficiency with a 10 gram projectile. From my calculations the pojectile would travel 48 meters per second. This would means with a short power surge the projectile would have to pick up all 11.82 joules.

If the maximum efficiency came from a coil around the same length as the projectile (4 inches) than the projectile would be most efficient if the current is switched off when it was half way (2 inches) into the coil. Am I right? So the projectile would have to accelerate up to 48 meters per second within two inches.

I calculated the projectile would accelerate 22677 meters per second using [(V^2)=2(a)(x)]

I used the acceleration to calculate the time I would reach maximum speed [(x)=(.5)(a)(t^2)]
and I got a time of 2.11 milliseconds confused .

I also looked at Barry's Coil gun's website and I used the RLC simulation. According to Barry the current should die away when the projectile is midway through the coil.

And if I use a IGBT I should switch off the coils at 2.11 milliseconds?

Are all my calculations and assumptions correct? I am assuming constant acceleration so I can use newtonian equations. Because a time of 2.11 milliseconds is really short. I don't know If I going about designing my coil gun correctly.

Simon
Fri Mar 09 2007, 12:49AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
I sympathise with wanting to work everything out theoretically but coilguns aren't too great for that. These basic relations aren't going to be very accurate. They'll give you ballpark quantities. (Some board members are doing very sophisticated stuff with FEA modelling but that's very experimental.)

Flinging a piece of metal with a coilgun is surprisingly simple to do. I'd recommend starting off basic. Just wind a big coil - Barry's site might give you rough ideas - and dump the energy from the cap straight into it.

That's the fun of coilgunning. You can start off extremely simple and by improving the switching, tinkering with the coils, etc, you can work the efficiency up.
ConKbot of Doom
Sat Mar 10 2007, 04:40PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Single coil isnt the best way to go for high effiency anyway.. I believe that while back there was a 6 stage coil gun that had a very high efficiency. and it was very nicely done up my some college students.

I agree with Simon, not just with this, but with any project, dont dive in all the way, start at one place and work from that figuring out one bit at a time.
Simon
Tue Mar 13 2007, 01:40AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
ConKbot of Doom wrote ...

Single coil isnt the best way to go for high effiency anyway..
That's true, but multiple coils is vastly more complicated. A good multicoil gun is made up from good single coils, anyway.

wrote ...

I agree with Simon, not just with this, but with any project, dont dive in all the way, start at one place and work from that figuring out one bit at a time.
That's right. It's especially true of CGs, which are very simple in principle but can be very, very complicated in the fine details.
kalenedrael
Tue Mar 13 2007, 07:08PM
kalenedrael Registered Member #5 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
The acceleration you calculated is perfectly reasonable. It translates to about 2400G, and with a projectile mass of 10g, that's around 240N of force, not too much. Any sort of gun will need a fairly extreme barrel acceleration to achieve a useful velocity. Of course assuming constant acceleration in a coilgun with a rapidly changing magnetic field is accurate, but for these purposes it should be fine.

I recommend simply tinkering around with coil size and the position of the projectile with respect to the coil in order to optimize projectile speed, to start with. The calculated figure of 2.11ms is probably not very accurate and at worst can harm the efficiency of your system. Besides, the circuitry you would need to shut off the IGBT at the required time is probably beyond a first project.

As an example, I helped some friends build a coilgun for their physics project. We initially had grand plans for a multistage system that could propel slugs with ridiculous speed. Later we figured this was way too much work and just used a bigger capacitor bank for more impressive results. I'm sure you'll find that even the most basic coilgun (like ours ended up being) is fun to play with and improve upon later.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: