Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Blowing up an ignition coil

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
thedarklord
Wed Mar 07 2007, 09:33AM Print
thedarklord Registered Member #569 Joined: Wed Mar 07 2007, 08:29AM
I've got this old can type ignition coil. It has never realy worked well for me. Secondary shorting out??? maybe.

Seeming I don't have a use for it, I was wondering what sort of power it would take to blow this thing up. Are ignition coils shunted? If they are could I open it up and knock any shunts out of the core.

To drive it I have built the old 555 switching circuit but instead of using a 2n3055 I have replaced it with three paralelled mj15003's. That should manage aroud 750 watts. The whole unit normally runs off a 12v deep cycle battery.

I've run ignition coils at 50 watts for short periods. At that sort of power the insulating oil starts to boil. I wonder what 750 watts would do...

I know at 12volts I can run maybe 45watts~ max. At 50volts (max supply voltage of mj15003) I might manage 200watts. What dort of damage do you reckon this might do.

I'm a beginner so if you can see any obvious floors with my logic please let me know.
Download
Wed Mar 07 2007, 09:36AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
no shunts on an igcoil
ragnar
Wed Mar 07 2007, 12:56PM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
For actual some impressive arcs and carbon blasting (as opposed to damage to the ignition coil from overcurrent; Bzzzz.-tic- -- much less impressive), build a 'proper' driver circuit...

Try an MJ10012 -- you'll only need the one, and you can run it at 48V, so long as you use a big zener clamp on it.

You'll need something other than the 555 to drive it; try to drive the base with a BC327 (errr, or is that a 337, I forget).

See my old "Bastard ignition coil driver from hell"
www.http://whiteplasma.com/matt/bicdfh2/
http://www.whiteplasma.com/matt/bicdfh/
http://www.whiteplasma.com/matt/bicdfh/sparkler.gif
(Which wasn't all that evil, but impressed me at the time)

Don't forget zener diodes on the 555 supply, a 1N4007 in series, bit of protection on the timer circuit always stops those disappointing failures when you have an audience wink
Electroholic
Wed Mar 07 2007, 02:37PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
what is that u shape thingy?
is that ur big zener clamp?
3V 5W each?
ragnar
Wed Mar 07 2007, 11:22PM
Yes, that's the zener clamp. Those are 15V 5W zener diodes in series. I curled them into a spring and put them underwater for longer runs. =P
thedarklord
Thu Mar 08 2007, 07:44AM
thedarklord Registered Member #569 Joined: Wed Mar 07 2007, 08:29AM
thanks for your suggestions I will probably give the bastard coil driver a go as soon as I get hold of a few mj10012.

so your driver basicly consists of an mj10012 switching darlington with its base being driven by a bc337 which is in turn connected to the 555 signal generator.
I understand you are using a 48v zener to clamp the vcc to 48volts.

Do you have any idea of how much the zeners will be disipating?
Also do you have a link to the schematic? if so please post it.

Finally how long do the coils last in this setup?

Thanks for all your help
ragnar
Thu Mar 08 2007, 09:47AM
Almost right:

I have the 555 running off 12V, and the MJ10012 feeding 48V into the ignition coil primary. I have a 225V zener clamp (composed of 15 * 15V 5W zener diodes) across the MJ10012, as recommended in the datasheet. For lower powers, you could use 3 x 75V zener clamps instead.

MJ10012 is pricey, but a very nice transistor, especially designed for this application.
Ronnie
Thu Mar 22 2007, 08:54PM
Ronnie Registered Member #600 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 08:41PM
Does anyone have any experience of how much energy an ignition coil can take in a pulse? I am planning on using 350 volt electrolytic capacitor(s). I'm aware that this isn't ideal because of the inductive kickback, but I already have some electrolytic capacitors, and a suitable diode to protect them would be cheaper than getting the same energy in non-electrolyics. I have my eyes on a 600v 100 amp rated diode sampled from ST.
Electroholic
Thu Mar 22 2007, 10:40PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
you can try, but lytic are generally slow for pulse transformers.
Ronnie
Thu Mar 22 2007, 11:34PM
Ronnie Registered Member #600 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 08:41PM
So far I have tried a 4.7uf, without a diode as I have plenty of those to destroy, that worked surprisingly well, I have almost a kilojoule electrolytics, I suspect that would be way too much for a standard ignition coil. Most designs I have seen have used about 2uF pulsed repeatedly. My guess is that it could withstand about 200uF, the problem is that I only have one coil to experiment with at the moment. I plan to increment the power while watching out for any problems with the coil, perhaps overheating. It may just fail without warning.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: