Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

solid state versus nst and mots newbie

Move Thread LAN_403
jameselectric
Tue Mar 06 2007, 02:34AM Print
jameselectric Registered Member #535 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 06:03AM
I have gotten reasonable results with my nst coil. I have given up on my mot(lol). I am thinking about maybe starting a solid state coil. I don't really know anything about them so i have some questions.

1. price of making a solid state coil
2. average spark length of coil.
3. diffulculty level of making one 1-5.

Thanks everyone

my first junk coil
James
1173148440 535 FT0 New Image23
Mike
Tue Mar 06 2007, 04:39AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Well, to my surprise, just building a small SSTC isn't even that hard. Take a look at stevehv.4hv.org and schematic Link2
The cost, well theres the ucc's which can be gotten for a buck a piece, or sampled from ti, only take what you need though....
The hex inverter is not actually needed so don't bother with it, just connect the antenna with the C3 cap and D7 and D8 clamping diodes directly to pin 2 of the ucc's. Then the ferite toroid for the gate drive transformer is fairly cheap, they can be attained for like 1 dollar in a package of 5. Link2

The MOSFETS are also fairly cheap, i use irfp460c's which are a pretty good fet for this coil, most places have em for like 3 bucks a piece. Everything else is pretty cheap and you might have that stuff on hand. Even though i found it fairly easy, if you like to mess around with it, expect to have to replace components alot.... I would say difficulty of the minisstc is a 3, but it can get alot harder with PLL's and such etc. But once you go solid state, you wont go back!!!
Tue Mar 06 2007, 04:50AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
sstc are just like sgtcs in the enormous amout of variety in them.

You could take a single gate driver (sample a ucc37322 from TI), stick an antenna on the input, wire the output to just about any fet rated for >1a >50v in series with a 5 turn primary arround a smallish secondary and get 2" sparks for like free.

Or, you could try to outspark the DRTTCs pumping 10 foot arks, for well over a thousand bucks...

Again, difficulty will range from about 3 to a 7 on the 1-5 scale.

My suggstion for a fist coil is Link2 It is simple enough to get working, cheap enough for anyone, and will give enough sparkage to get you hooked on SSTC's
CT2
Tue Mar 06 2007, 04:52AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Hey James, let me start by saying I don't know very much. OK that said I have built a decent (at least I think so) SSTC. I don't know your level of knowledge or experience so I can't really tell you how hard it would be for you to construct one, but I managed and I'm only 18 and all my knowledge is from the internet (mostly 4HV wink ).

The most simple thing you can do to build your first SSTC, in my own opinion, would be to just completely copy someones. There are plently of schematics around especially on this forum, and if you read around you'll find the pros and cons of each. For a first time coil though I would recomend you keep it simple, I suggest Steve Wards mini SSTC but thats because I built it and it worked great. I actually built Steve Conners PLL circuit as my first SSTC and it worked amazing but its a little tricky and I still don't get it.

As for the price range... I think it's like everything in life, it can be done cheap or it can be done really expensive, or somewhere inbetween it all depends on what you want. You can sample alot of parts for free from different companies, so that would help alot with the cost (semi's are expensive!) especially when your most likely gonna kill alot of parts (I did atleast).

And for the average spark length... I'd say a foot? All depends on power level coil dimension, and topology. But they are hot flamming whispering arcs much different than a normal SGTC. Anyways maybe that will help you to get started, I'd say go for it even if it seems a little intimidating at first, you'll learn alot along the way. Good luck!

Pics are my very first SSTC, and a small percentage of the silicone it took to get going cheesey
1173156541 180 FT21731 Sstc 052

1173156541 180 FT21731 Sstc 013
jameselectric
Fri Mar 09 2007, 08:28AM
jameselectric Registered Member #535 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 06:03AM
just ordered DRSSTC building the modern day tesla coil, Sounds like a good book.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: