Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How to burn organic material

Move Thread LAN_403
Mike Waddick
Mon Mar 05 2007, 11:37PM Print
Mike Waddick Registered Member #566 Joined: Mon Mar 05 2007, 11:19PM
Hey,
i just joined this forum because i got a question i think someone here might be able to ask. I am trying to find a better way to do the effect shown here.

http://flickr.com/photos/612/248777508/in/set-72157594292050811/

I did that by putting the rose in grill igniter fluid then setting it on fire. It was the only thing i really found around that gave me the good orange flame. I want to do this effect some other way without a liquid because its very hard to control, is there something i can put it into that will make it flammable? ideally being clear so it isn't seen in the picture. Also it would be nice if it was slow burning because it seems to give the best effect.

I have been searching everywhere for ideas and so far i got nothing.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Mike Waddick
Electroholic
Tue Mar 06 2007, 01:22AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Na/sodium would give you orange flame.

fuelwise, I would go with liquid, solid fuel either burns too hot(have to vaporize it first), or too fast(if it contains oxidizing agent)

how about gasoline jelly or methanol jelly,
I think they are availabe from camping stores.

just spread them on like you do for toasts.
Liam
Tue Mar 06 2007, 03:19AM
Liam Registered Member #113 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 01:40AM
Try getting something that is soluble in a nonpolar liquid (gasoline, xylene, etc) such as Styrofoam and making a jelly out of it. A very small amount goes a long way, but the flame is very sooty. You would not need to add Sodium to the flame to make it orange like that; a poorly-oxidized flame from most any source will burn with a yellow-orange flame (which could be tweaked in Photoshop).
Tue Mar 06 2007, 04:58AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
You might try Sterno (some petrolium jelly thing that burns pretty good, most supermarkets have it for keeping food warm) with a little salt added for color.

But really if you want a big flame like that you are going to need something really volatile, like acetone/methanol/etc.

BTW You might try adding copper sulfate (find it for killing roots in your drains, it is a can of blue crystals) for a wiked blue flame. For more colors you would probably have to buy some salts online, strontium is a blood red :)
Swany
Thu Mar 08 2007, 10:25PM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
Any alcohol with a higher mol wt. than ethanol should give an orange flame due to incandesant carbon. For simplicity sake, I would suggest 91% isopropyl alcohol: rubbing alcohol. It burns fairly cool and slowly, more water can be added to balance the effect.

If you want colors, HEET in the yellow bottles is fairly pure methanol, dissolve a metallic chloride of choice to give a nice flame. Boric acid in methanol forms the pseudoester methyl borate, which burns with a VERY clear bright green. I would definately reccomend that.
Steve Conner
Fri Mar 09 2007, 10:36AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Does methyl borate give off any dangerous fumes when it burns? I have no idea, just a vague bad feeling.
ConKbot of Doom
Sat Mar 10 2007, 04:22PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Swany wrote ...

Any alcohol with a higher mol wt. than ethanol should give an orange flame due to incandesant carbon. For simplicity sake, I would suggest 91% isopropyl alcohol: rubbing alcohol. It burns fairly cool and slowly, more water can be added to balance the effect.

If you want colors, HEET in the yellow bottles is fairly pure methanol, dissolve a metallic chloride of choice to give a nice flame. Boric acid in methanol forms the pseudoester methyl borate, which burns with a VERY clear bright green. I would definately reccomend that.
I can attest first hand that isopropyl alcohol doesnt brurn with a yellow flame. I dont know how many times ive lit my friend glass desk on fire with rubbing alcohol... or the old covering your finger with rubbing alcohol, then lighting it, and blowing it out before it hurts...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: