Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

NI3 - taboo? Discuss?

Move Thread LAN_403
GreySoul
Tue Feb 27 2007, 04:08AM
GreySoul Registered Member #546 Joined: Fri Feb 23 2007, 11:43PM
LOL...I spoke too soon!

If you could see the grin on my face (or hear the neighbors dogs barking)...wheee.

ME = amazed + cheesey + rolleyes + suprised

It's 9:00pm here hope I didnt disturb anyone.

Apprently it takes longer for the crystals to dry when full of surficants and soaps. 90 minutes did the trick.... my kitchen sink is purple....

How toxic are these fumes btw? I got the window open, but I could still smell traces in the air.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Feb 27 2007, 05:25AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Okay, hold on a sec here. You're playing with chemicals and don't know how toxic they are, *sighs* okay.

Iodine is pretty bad stuff. It's fairly corrosive, and as far as acute/systemic exposure, you're just going to have to look it up. The general rule I have been told is that if you can smell it, the concentration is too high.

Check with the Wikipedia, or look for Iodine and MSDS.
GreySoul
Tue Feb 27 2007, 07:27AM
oops. Don't get me wrong. I read multiple MSDS forms (and I know how to read them...) long before I started any of this. I found some conflicting reports on LD's in a few of them, but nothing that worried me too much. (like why is a LD50 of I2 on a rat something like 1000x that of a human? seems off, but I'm not a biologist, and I dont do the toxicology research stuff personally)

I always value any firsthand experiance, or otherwise freely shared experiances and knowledge...that's why I asked.

I know I'm new here, and I have to get to know you all....that will take time.... but we can begin here :)

I'm 28, I've been in school 9 years now (University of New Mexico). I started off in EE, then moved to CE/CS for a couple years before I gave it up for Fine Art. I'll have my BFA this May. I'm a bit of a jack-of-all Studio Arts, mostly I work with glass (lampworking), Printmaking, and metal (small scale precious metals, and some bronze foundry work). The toxins I face as an artist are often greater than those faced by many other fields if for no other reason than most artists don't know what they're using half the time. Unlike most art students I've taken classes in physics, chemistry, calculus, etc...

My goal is to make new tools, new materials, and new outlets for artists. If I go to grad school it will be for material sciences or chemE or something like that.

Anyways, in my spare time, for the last 20 years or so, I mostly play with fire, high voltage, women, chemicals, guns, cameras, computers, lasers (Light Ampllfication by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, no I didnt have to look it up). Besides making black powder, and playing (and I use that in the most perfessional useage of the term playing) with premade compounds, the actual manufacture of such compunds is fairly unexplored terrirotry for me. Some of the notation, and terminology I have to learn as I go along - even for the basic stuff.

So you guys have already been a great resource for most of my hobbies.

As far as the Interwebs go... I've been floating around online since the early 90s, I think my first BBS gateway account was in 92 or 93.... I have run forums of my own, and been member of more than I can count at this point. By no means green. I've read every page of interest to me in both archives, and the new board. I help run a wiki, so I'm no stranger to that little gem. But I am also not going to believe something based solely on wikipedia - look up elephant and go through it's history.

Link2 <-- elephants on wp.

What really did suprise me tho is that as long as I've been on various lists and forums, I've only just now come across 4hv (not true, I came here a while back reading up on ferrofluid but I didn't hang around)

Anyways, I sincerely appreciate your help and your concern, but please rest assured I'm not a complete moron. I am plenty capable of doing stupid things from time to time, but I try to take things seriously when my health or life is on the line. I can clean, repair or replace sinks, floors, tables, bowls, flatware, etc...and I know it's not the same with body parts dead

I'm still alive - I prefer to stay that way.

Anyways Hazmatt, thanks for the advice and everything and good to meet you. Look forward to contributing as much as I take from you all. If you have any questions or concerns for me, I'm all ears. If you want refernces I can get those :)

-Doug

p.s. I applogize for my attrocious spelling - and me an English minor... heh. It's late and I'm tired, and my ears are still kinda ringing. FWIW, I knew there would be "smoke" and a bang... the bang was a lot more than i bargained for and the off gas was much less than I figured. I caught a wiff of the stuff, but nothing close to somethign I'm concerned about at this point...had much worse in my system... still, figurede I'd ask.
Myke
Tue Feb 27 2007, 03:08PM
Myke Registered Member #540 Joined: Mon Feb 19 2007, 07:49PM
Maybe set up a fan to help ventilate you kitchen?
GreySoul
Tue Feb 27 2007, 04:14PM
one in front of the open window :)

Sorry, didnt mean to cause any concern last night... I shouldnt be posting past my bed time :) but yeah.... kitchen is fine.

And before anyone worries about my "kitchen" it's what I call the entire back half of my house, and I was no where near my food stuffs. I have a food kitchen and a screwing-around-in kitchen...

Anyways all, thanks for the support, and now I can put NI3 on the long list of stupid stuff I've done so I'll know better next time

-Doug
Swany
Wed Feb 28 2007, 04:35PM
Swany Registered Member #261 Joined: Mon Feb 27 2006, 12:34AM
NI3 is the least stable of the nitrogen halides due to the size of I and electronegativity. NF3 is not even recognised as explosive, whereas NCl3 is a reactive, sensitive, explosive liquid (prepared by electrolysis of conc. NH4Cl solution with graphite electrodes). I imagine NBr3 would be similar.

Relative to 'real' explosives, nitrogen halides are... a novelty. Of course, they are still dangerous, however 10 grams of a brisant high explosive, would have utterly destroyed the screwdriver and probably the hand holding it.

The NI3 is not actually NI3 per se, it is NI3.(NH3)x, where the amount of amine groups is dependant upon the ammonia concentration. The lesser concentration of ammonia, the more amine groups, the higher sensativity.... I THINK. I am at school and cannot check my references, however I would encourage someone to prepare NI3 with 10% ammonia and 30% ammonia and test the sensitivity difference.

Also, Braniacs is a terrible show for *real* science geeks; they fake everything.

Slightly tangent, though interesting, if you are truely insane and looking for terribly terribly sensitive high explosives that are brisant, I may suggest mod edit - you don't want to know! That alone is suicidal, but the resulting liquid is much more brisant than nitroglycerine. Sensitivity is extreme as well.
GreySoul
Thu Mar 01 2007, 12:41AM
um....yeah.....

I think NI3 is about as far as I'm going to take this hairbrained tangent. I've read about the others and have no desire to die.

Also, I tied the above suggestion of briefly washing I2 with commercial strength ammonia and letting the "package" dry... it didnt work. I got a few little snappy crystals, less than a 1% yeild.

letting the I2 sit for a few hours in the soapy ammonia solution seems to have worked...

as for brainiacs... yeah - I know mostof it is faked, or at least highly edited to make things look simpler than they are - but like, peter logans secret formula IS Ni3, they just dont show how he makes it, or what it's made with.... the results are real.

Their scientific method leaves much to be desired, I don't considerit it to be educational as much as it's entertaining. I love the explosive girls... I mean, who can argue against the idea os giving a half dozen strippers / models high explosives? Otr letting a Tina Turner look-alike blow up cars and RVs with a bunsen burner?

it's not Mr Wizard, but it's almost as fun to watch :)

Bjørn
Thu Mar 01 2007, 01:09AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
It seems like this thread has reached the end of it's useful life so I am closing it.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: