Zajcek (37)
ElectroDog (33)
sportcoupe (56)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Advice on bad coil performance.

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Part Scavenger
Sun Feb 25 2007, 05:58PM
Part Scavenger Registered Member #79 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:35AM
Hey! You have really worked hard on you coil and it shows!

Here is my 2 cent's worth...

Definitely pay attention to the spark gap, and whether it is quenching or not.

About the ionizing, and losses in general, just remember that anything you see (heat, light, movement, sound) that isn't a streamer is robbing energy from your streamers and anything you can do to decrease that will improve performance. Generally, you tend to lose a lot of power in the primary and your connections within the primary circuit. So pay attention, is anything getting hot. If so, make it thicker or of more conductive metal. Using steel wastes alot of power.

Your bottle caps... They're right about the colored glass, but I don't know how big a deal that is, I've never tested it. Make sure you've got a saturated salt solution in the bottles, that's important. The biggest problem I can see with your bottle caps is that the aluminum foil isn't really tight. I know how hard it is to actually accomplish that, but you're probably losing power to movement and corona. I would suggest taping them or better yet gluing the foil on like Link2 (shameless plug). A good tip when connecting the bottle caps together with aluminum foil is to fold over the edges to prevent corona. You only need it on the bottom anyway.

In the tutorial, I used really big bottles because they had more capacitance per footprint, but I have since learned that using smaller bottles and more of them would have worked better because it would decrease the resistance. The very last picture depicts the bottle caps glowing. That wasted energy and could have been fixed with tape, but I thought it was cool and didn't fix it. The steel strapping was handy, but got hot so don't use it.

With bottle caps, and your setup, you should be able to get about 20-22" A nicer spark gap and an MMC should get you over 30" If you decide to make your own rolled caps, look me up. I just did a ton of research on the topic.

Not to be to critical, just to help. It's very refreshing to see someone work so hard on their first coil. You might want to download Terry Fritz's ScanTesla too, it's helped me alot. But right now, you ought to get your spark gap fixed, that should really help.

Hope that helps.
-Part Scavenger shades
Annie
Mon Feb 26 2007, 10:41AM
Annie Registered Member #547 Joined: Sat Feb 24 2007, 01:27PM
Hi Part Scavenger!
Thank you for this reply (and your compliments). I really appreciate it. Your bottle caps look super compared to ours, LOL. We are surely going to upgrade the spark gap, and construct one with a CPU fan underneath, they are high in RPM, compared to other fans. I saw a nice multiple gap one, made with 4 pieces of copper tube. Also, we are planning to replace the bottle caps with polypropylene caps. The only thing is that bottle caps give such a nice period look... The corona rings look wonderful! When we tested the coil for the first time, I noticed the spark gap fired for a few seconds, and then stopped. Thanks to this forum, I know now that is is a matter of quenching, and that performance can really increase when using a vented multi-gap. Being the coil a project for school, we can say it works, so mission accomplished. But when we saw our fist sparks, there was this we-want-more feeling smile
Mike
Mon Feb 26 2007, 11:58PM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
Hi, if you are having trouble with the caps, i might suggest one of my creations Link2
It is basically a cap using plastic plates as the dielectric, they seem to be a much easier replacement to the bottle caps. Technically though they have not been tested in tesla coil use. So if you want to try them out, the thread has the details. Hopefully they should help and weigh quite a bit less then bottle caps.

Btw: nice looking coil there.

Mike
Edit: also, if your caps seem to arc over, it may be because of the NST's higher voltage. A simple fix would be to submerge the plates in a tub of oil or alike.
Sulaiman
Tue Feb 27 2007, 12:14AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I have tried home made capacitors, rolled and flat plate.
My advice is - don't go there.
Lots and lots of 'challenges' - Always ending in eventual failure.

- Removing air bubbles
- Corona
- flashover
- leakage
- spillage

If you don't use the 'traditional' bottle caps go straight to an MMC
Multi-Mini-Capacitors in a series/parallel array with voltage-balancing resistors.
Endless threads on this topic so I shall not elaborate any further.

Mike
Tue Feb 27 2007, 01:38AM
Mike Registered Member #58 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:40AM
hmm, with my testing with my plastic plate caps I so far haven't really had any troubles with them. the ridges on the plates stop flash overs and I used glue to hold down the al foil to prevent air bubbles. But yes, a mmc is really superior, though expensive...
Annie
Tue Feb 27 2007, 08:24AM
Those mega-disc-capacitors look really super, Mike! smile
sparky
Tue Feb 27 2007, 03:44PM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
I'll give it a try!
Annie
Sun Mar 04 2007, 03:55PM
Hi! Today we tested a vented gap, with 8 gaps of about 2.5mm / 0.1inch. http://vdhaaknl.dyndns.org/gallery/albums/album07/IMG_4047.jpg A Sunbeam case fan was mounted underneath. We tested it without the secondary coil, because we were testing indoors. We noticed, that we had to short 6 of the gaps to start the firing. What can this be? Is it the lack of load due to the missing secondary, or is it the bad quality of the bottle capacitors? I certainly hope it is the bad caps, since we ordered 25 0.47uF Cornell-Dubilier caps... We hope you guys can give us any clues.... cry
J. Aaron Holmes
Sun Mar 04 2007, 06:23PM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
Did you have the cap and primary connected? Cap, primary, and secondary should always be present together, never separately. Just taking the secondary away is one of the worst things you can do to your poor primary circuit, since things will ring out of control with nothing to suck the energy away [quickly]. It's a good way to ruin your cap and NST. Best give those things a look by themselves to make sure they're still ok. If you have a Terry filter, it's possible it may have given its life (or half of if, anyway) to save your NST. If half your Terry filter failed short, or half your NST secondary failed open, you'd end up with only half the voltage out, which would certainly explain the need for less gap. Is your 8kV NST mid-point grounded?

Your gap looks real nice, BTW. Air flow will reduce the required gap spacing somewhat. Sometimes a lot, if you're using a real stong blast, but probably not too much in your case.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
Annie
Sun Mar 04 2007, 06:44PM
Hi Aaron; Thanks for your message! We had the primary and caps connected.... I sure will not run the coil without the secondary anymore! I think the NST and bottle caps are still OK, I have a center-grounded NST, but the center (NST housing) is not connected with anything (floating). I think, our CDE caps will arrive this week, hopefully this improves results. Maybe, our spark gap and bottle caps work OK, but with the missing load of the sec. coil, failed to work properly? Can you confirm this? neutral
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: