All today's birthdays', congrats!
Matthew T. (35)
Amrit Deshmukh (60)

Next birthdays
05/05 Alexandre (32)
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

wiring 4 mots for 240

1 2 3 4
Move Thread LAN_403
jameselectric
Thu Mar 08 2007, 02:00AM
jameselectric Registered Member #535 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 06:03AM
its happy at about 3 or 4 turns out. going out lessens the sparks as does going in makes no difference.
jameselectric
Thu Mar 08 2007, 03:08AM
just some pics of my setup. there is 2 toroids the smaller one shows a little corona
1173323307 535 FT20884 Coil

1173323307 535 FT20884 Tank Cap

1173323307 535 FT20884 Transformers

1173323307 535 FT20884 Toroid
CT2
Thu Mar 08 2007, 05:54AM
CT2 Registered Member #180 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:12AM
Do you have a big fan blowing on that gap? Because mots run alot of current, and they need good quenching. Also you may want to look at setting up a multiple spark gap. Doing that would probably help alot, it made a huge difference when I used a 15/60 and then switched from a single to a multiple gap.
jameselectric
Fri Mar 09 2007, 03:29AM
well i hooked up my shop vac and holy s*&^ i'm getting like 10 in sparks. inadequate quenching was my problem. The sparks surge and get bigger each time they surge. before they get to big thought it blows my variac breaker. caps too big?. Thanks everyone for the help i will post pics of my sparks. tap is still on the 3rd turn out.
J. Aaron Holmes
Fri Mar 09 2007, 04:46AM
J. Aaron Holmes Registered Member #477 Joined: Tue Jun 20 2006, 11:51PM
jameselectric wrote ...

well i hooked up my shop vac and holy s*&^ i'm getting like 10 in sparks. inadequate quenching was my problem. The sparks surge and get bigger each time they surge. before they get to big thought it blows my variac breaker. caps too big?. Thanks everyone for the help i will post pics of my sparks. tap is still on the 3rd turn out.

Only the third turn, eh? I'm actually quite surprised those MO caps don't just pop. They must be seeing peak currents of 500-800 amps or so, which is probably like 500-800x what they're rated for suprised Some pulse-rated caps are probably a good idea...

The trick with lower-voltage coils like this is finding the best balance of physical coil size and power. You certainly want as much topload as possible without making the coil look silly. A fatter coil form may be the next step to increase inductance. The idea is to get the resonant frequency down to the point where you can put a lot more turns on the primary, thereby reducing peak primary currents, gap losses, and correspondingly increasing performance for the power. Three turns on the primary coil is nearing OLTC territory, and with so little inductance in your primary coil, a good percentage of your total primary inductance may be coming from other things, like the wiring between your caps, gap, and primary coil. Meaning you won't get full poop. You want the vast, vast majority of your primary inductance to actually be in your primary coil. Very short, fat wiring will help there.

All this really gets at why using higher voltages on SGTCs makes life WAY easier, and why MOT-based SGTCs are actually a hard challenge! As voltage goes up, bang energy exponentiates, allowing the same coil power (and streamer output) to be realized with a MUCH smaller cap, meaning that you can dump 100's of uH into your primary coil, making your primary current fall like crazy. Your gap losses then decrease exponentially, your gap quenches ~1,000,000x better, and your caps are way happier.

Regards,
Aaron, N7OE
jameselectric
Fri Mar 09 2007, 06:02AM
I know the mot is a hard way to go lol that is why i am planning on working on a solid state coil the next go around. my nst coil and especially this mot coil have taught me alot about theory and what changing each component in the tesla coil getup does. . which is what we are all after knowledge and bigger sparks. i think this coil is done for now. mots seem like a lot of work for what they do.
Thanks everyone
sparky
Sat Mar 10 2007, 02:48AM
sparky Registered Member #530 Joined: Sat Feb 17 2007, 07:56AM
first off MO caps are very lossy - they are NOT ideal caps for pulse discharge operation as they are mylar/paper/oil dielectric - they will heat up - and some have been known to burst explosively running off tesla service...

MMC type Pulse discharge capacitors from CDE are ideal. You know you could send an email to the company and ask if you might be able to "sample" some of their mighty fine 0.68 uF 1600V rated caps.... these are what I use on my MOT and big NST coil.
jameselectric
Fri Mar 16 2007, 05:28AM
just a light with my huge toroid
1174022904 535 FT20884 100 0022
 1 2 3 4

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: