All today's birthdays', congrats!
Adam Munich (30)
Alfredo Texacca (60)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Threaded rods in secondaries.

Move Thread LAN_403
Duncan
Sat Feb 17 2007, 05:31AM Print
Duncan Registered Member #524 Joined: Thu Feb 15 2007, 03:28AM
Hi All,
Just a query, I've seen a lot of people use threaded rods in their secondaries to make toroid and ground connections easy and secure, but was wondering exactly how the threaded rods are mounted to the ends of the secondary. It is my understanding that no metal should go inside the secondary form, so how do you attach the threaded rods securely?
Marko
Sat Feb 17 2007, 11:39AM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It is my understanding that no metal should go inside the secondary form, so how do you attach the threaded rods securely?

Well, most of us seem ot use metal nuts. 2-3cm ofmetal inside the secondary doesn't seem to be a problem.

I use brass as much as I can but people also seem to use steel for their toroid connection without problems.
Duncan
Sat Feb 17 2007, 12:58PM
Duncan Registered Member #524 Joined: Thu Feb 15 2007, 03:28AM
Ah great. I was planning on using a brass threaded rod. There's no chance of any streamers breaking out from the end of the brass rod that's inside the secondary form is there?
Marko
Sat Feb 17 2007, 01:20PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
I don't remember if such a thing ever happened. Voltage difference is way too low for this, unless your screw goes down by third of secondary or so. Secondary is much more likely to flash over it's windings or from racing sparks.

In most cases I anyway have space for caps on the ends so my screws aren't actually even 'inside' the winding.

I usually run my wire through a small hole into the secondary for better physical rigidity, although some advise against it (I once had the wire disconnect, fall down and set my secondary on fire while I was unable to see it).
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Sun Feb 18 2007, 01:06AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
if you're pushing out arc's less then 2x the winding length its no big deal to use metal hardware on the coil form. However, I was pushing some arcs that were pretty long and I was sure there was arcing racing down the inside. What I used to do is use some copper tape wrapped around the bottom lip of the coil form to make my ground connection, but this was a source of my problems. What I am doing now is using PVC cement to affix a copper pad to the PVC pipe and it stays pretty well. I have some nylon hardware that comes through the back to the front with some knurled nuts to hold forked terminals to the copper pad, and it looks pretty decent. I would have a photo of it, but the coil is still at college overdue for a rewind and makeover almost a year later. I'll post some photos of the thing when it comes back home though.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: